Hard Reset - PC Exclusive FPS

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/07/13/exclusive—flying-wild-hog-announces-cyberpunk-fps-hard-reset/
Flying Wild Hog, a new studio, is releasing its debut game this September. It’s called Hard Reset, and it’s a PC-exclusive “dark sci-fi” FPS. Roughly, it’s Blade Runner, The Matrix, and Painkiller rolled into a single-player-only flour tortilla.

Like some kind of Polish, game-developing Voltron, Flying Wild Hog was formed from members of People Can Fly (Painkiller), CD Projekt RED (The Witcher 2), and City Interactive (Sniper: Ghost Warrior).

Looks interesting. Coming out fairly soon too for basically just being announced!

Looks interesting. Terrible name though, makes me scared to play it because it might lock up and destroy my computer.

Hell of a pedigree for the devs, though I still can't quite get past "Polish game-developing Voltron."

Flip side, they've apparently made their own purty little engine:

10.jpg

4.jpg

1gvg.jpg

Ah, so it has a name now. If this plays like Painkiller, I'm in! I wonder who the publisher will be.

I love these polish studios. They make games because they want to. They aren't factory line workers like the Devs under EA or activision getting whipped everytime they miss a deadline or accidently leave a feature in.

Last edited:
I love these polish studios. They make games because they want to. They aren't factory line workers like the Devs under EA or activision getting whipped everytime they miss a deadline or accidently leave a feature in.

You made me chuckle.

Well said. Notice many of the remaining PC exclusives are European (mostly German and Polish)?

If it plays like Painkiller, I'm out. Painkiller had the most bland and dated game play of it's day.
Yeah, it didn't totally revolutionize the FPS genre and that means it's bland....It was only one of the fastest, twitchiest, tightest handling FPS's ever...and it was one thing that is most often over looked when it comes to judging a game these days...fun. :confused:

Yeah, it didn't totally revolutionize the FPS genre and that means it's bland....It was only one of the fastest, twitchiest, tightest handling FPS's ever...and it was one thing that is most often over looked when it comes to judging a game these days...fun. :confused:

I didn't need revolutionary. I needed something that didn't play like the original Doom with better graphics. That's how Painkiller felt to me. I didn't find it to be all that much fun. It was good enough to play through once, but that was it. And close to the end I really just forced myself to finish it.

Last edited:
Painkiller was really fun, it had some unique weapons and fast/furious game play, it was nothing new or special it was just a well polished game that ticked all the boxes.

I have to say this does look promising, the screens look pretty good, the art style is nice and visually it looks pretty good.

If it launches with 90 degrees FOV (100 for widescreen), and with a decent control system with no mouse acceleration it will automatically have a leg up on 95% of all the other modern shooters, in that it will be playable out of the box.

They have these amazing people from Painkiller, Witcher 2 and then.. Sniper: Ghost Warrior?? WTF.

Unless it ends up being a disaster this will be an easy "vote with my wallet" purchase for me.

Looks interesting. Terrible name though, makes me scared to play it because it might lock up and destroy my computer.

I thought the same thing, ha ha! Made me shudder.

Seriously, game visuals look solid, though... and it's another title with a futuristic Bladerunner-type feel/look/atmosphere, which is always a plus in my book.

Being a PC exclusive is also a giant plus.

They have these amazing people from Painkiller, Witcher 2 and then.. Sniper: Ghost Warrior?? WTF.

Ha I had the same exact thought. I do like that it looks to be going back to unique, cool guns; especially in single player I'm pretty much over the realistic gun thing.

Ha I had the same exact thought. I do like that it looks to be going back to unique, cool guns; especially in single player I'm pretty much over the realistic gun thing.

Yeah, I agree. I've been craving a good sci-fi shooter for some time now. Nothing we've had lately qualifies.

Regardless, I will probably buy this game because it is a PC exclusive. The reviews will have to be horrendous for me to not at least try it.

Another perk will be: I bet this thing won't cost $60.

It really will have to be a disaster for me to not vote with my wallet. That's really what it's come to.

Regardless, I will probably buy this game because it is a PC exclusive. The reviews will have to be horrendous for me to not at least try it.

Ditto.

Another perk will be: I bet this thing won't cost $60.

It really will have to be a disaster for me to not vote with my wallet. That's really what it's come to.

The PC Gamer article mentions: Pricing isn’t announced, though we’d suspect it’ll fall somewhere between AAA releases like Battlefield 3 and lighter-weight “downloadable” FPSes. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's around $30-35.

First day buy for me. The graphics look quite good & I hope the gameplay is just as good to boot.

I'll buy the game if it's fun, I couldn't give one iota of a shit about a game being PC exclusive.

+1

Will have more of the "realistic gun thing" with Battlefield 3, and that's enough for me. Need something seriously new and creative.

Yeah, I agree. I've been craving a good sci-fi shooter for some time now. Nothing we've had lately qualifies.

QFT. It's been totally dry regarding anything truly fresh, creative, and in the sci-fi realm, especially. Seriously hoping this turns out to fulfill the need... as well as Deus Ex.

Again, +1.

Haven't seen any gameplay yet, but unless it was a total and complete bomb, it'll be a day one purchase for me. As I, and someone else said earlier, and now you, this being a PC exclusive is a massive plus. Hopefully it's an exclusive that can live-up to what we're all hoping for in terms of the game itself.

I love the futuristic Bladerunner-type look/design, can never get enough of it, and I'm glad more devs are going in that direction. Don't know what this game will turn out to be in compared to Deus Ex and it's whole Bladerunner style/atmosphere which it seems to have down solid, but hopefully it'll be akin to that, just with it's own style and feel.

The PC Gamer article mentions: Pricing isn’t announced, though we’d suspect it’ll fall somewhere between AAA releases like Battlefield 3 and lighter-weight “downloadable” FPSes. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's around $30-35.

Then given everything else that I and some others have already stated, that's going to make it a "why NOT buy it and even if the game sucks I still voted with my wallet in favor of a PC exclusive."

In other words, those prices guarantee a purchase by me pretty much no matter what.

Now hopefully the game will actually be good. ;)

Then given everything else that I and some others have already stated, that's going to make it a "why NOT buy it and even if the game sucks I still voted with my wallet in favor of a PC exclusive."

In other words, those prices guarantee a purchase by me pretty much no matter what.

Now hopefully the game will actually be good. ;)

Excellent point, totally agree and hopefully it will indeed push more devs to making more PC exclusives, if they see how many hardcore PC gamers there really are and there's money to be made on PC exclusives... money being the main motivation of most developers.

Though, I have to say, this is one developer that truly seems to be creating games for the love of doing so, and not just for the cash. I just get that impression, for some reason. Gotta respect that, strongly.

Man, I friggin' hope things start moving in that direction in the near-future.

Excellent point, totally agree and hopefully it will indeed push more devs to making more PC exclusives, if they see how many hardcore PC gamers there really are and there's money to be made on PC exclusives... money being the main motivation of most developers.

Though, I have to say, this is one developer that truly seems to be creating games for the love of doing so, and not just for the cash. I just get that impression, for some reason. Gotta respect that, strongly.

Man, I friggin' hope things start moving in that direction in the near-future.

I'll probably speak for everyone who reads this when I say: +100000 :)

Let me know when the preorders are up..My wallet has something to say.

You made me chuckle.

Funny or no, he speaks the truth. If the rest of the industry worked under this ethos, the world would be a more fun place. :)

Well said. Notice many of the remaining PC exclusives are European (mostly German and Polish)?

And Ukranian (GSC Game World, 4A, Action Forms)! :p

I'm obligated to purchase this game. Nothing like showing my full support for true PC gaming.

Teaser trailer:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBj0hDPrHLo&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBj0hDPrHLo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Saw that this morning, I have to say that looks pretty damn spiffy, I'm actually getting really interested in this game.

I think I'm gonna have to buy this game too, didn't know it was a PC exclusive until now so that sounds pretty promising.

I'll buy the game if it's fun, I couldn't give one iota of a shit about a game being PC exclusive.

It's not that I care that it's a PC exclusive. However being a PC exclusive hopefully means that the game play isn't the dumbed down garbage we've been fed for the sake of "going easy on the consoles, and the console audience."

Back