AMD Next Gen confirmed for Q4 2011: Dual architecture split like HD6K series

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
Rage3d posted an interview with Eric Demers (AMD's Graphics CTO) revealing and confirming details about the launch of their next gen products slated for later this year.

AMD's Graphics Core Next Gen architecture is scheduled to appear in products due in Q4, 2011, as both Eric Demers and Rick Bergman confirmed for us. It is likely they will use TSMC's 28nm process, and have a dual architecture split like Northern Islands. If so, then this time Cayman VLIW-4 architecture hits the mainstream, and the next generation architecture debuts in the high end - similar to AMD's deployment of VLIW-4 in the Radeon HD 6000 series. This makes sense for compatibility with APUs, if Trinity is using VLIW-4 then the discrete GPUs will need to as well for best compatibility and performance.

Very interesting times ahead.

The following is speculation based on the content of the interview, take it with a healthy dose of salt:​

prettypicture.jpg

Further confirmation Southern Islands is coming soon.http://seekingalpha.com/article/281...sses-q2-2011-results-earnings-call-transcripthttp://seekingalpha.com/article/281...sses-q2-2011-results-earnings-call-transcript

We also passed several critical milestones in the second quarter as we prepare our next-generation 28-nanometer graphics family. We have working silicon in-house and remain on track to deliver the first members of what we expect will be another industry-leading GPU family to market later this year. We expect to be at the forefront of the GPU industry's transition to 28-nanometer.
So in a worst case scenario they've had working silicon since the end of June.

Last edited:
Wait so what this is saying is that the HD 7870/50 is coming out first or just a refresh of the 6xxx series on 28nm?

I hear the sound of hundreds of thousands of gamers eager to play Battlefield 3 pulling out their piggybanks, me included. F yes.

Looks like I'm going to be waiting longer than late September : / Any news is good news I s'pose

^^^^ smiles for better eyefinity in BF3... then cries when he see's his piggy bank balance.

Hmm, i don't think i want to know how much these are going to cost. I assume the two high end cards will release first.

+1 for BF3

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1037501523 said:
Hmm, i don't think i want to know how much these are going to cost. I assume the two high end cards will release first.

+1 for BF3

Setting aside 700$ for this. long overdue upgrade from 3870x2...

I really want a replacement for the 5770 darnit. Does it sound like this means they will replace it (i.e. 7770?) or that it will have to wait for the next gen?

I'm trying to set aside funds for a whole new rig during the winter time, this makes me a little more excited for it.

I really want a replacement for the 5770 darnit. Does it sound like this means they will replace it (i.e. 7770?) or that it will have to wait for the next gen?

Doubtful that it would be shortly after release, it was a while for the 6770 and that isn't even a real replacement.

I wouldn't expect it to be any faster than a 6870 considering the 7850/7870 will be roughly the 6950/6970 as AMD is continuing this strategy.

Waiting out that range of graphics cards is kind of silly to be honest. You'd be better off just buying a 6850 or a 7850 when it comes out.

Doubtful that it would be shortly after release, it was a while for the 6770 and that isn't even a real replacement.

I wouldn't expect it to be any faster than a 6870 considering the 7850/7870 will be roughly the 6950/6970 as AMD is continuing this strategy.

Waiting out that range of graphics cards is kind of silly to be honest. You'd be better off just buying a 6850 or a 7850 when it comes out.

It's for an SFF pc, full size cards won't fit, I could squeeze in a GTX460 but it's not worth the upgrade :p

Mainstream + low end = 28nm VLIW4
Performance + Enthusiast + Ultra Enthusiast = 28nm GCN

Last edited:
X79+SB 2011+AMD 7970 or 7990..........merry christmas to me......in February 2102.;):D

Its going to be a loooong time before AMD can replace my Antilles! Im going to wait to replace it with 22nm dual or triple GPU card.

Oh you say that now tangoseal.... you say that now... but once that shiny new 7990 hits the egg you're going to be a sucker just like me! :D

I wonder if this is because the GCN GPUs will have awful power consumption (much like first gen Fermis- also designed for compute performance)

28nm refresh with VLIW-4 will be nice. That means I probably will get my new x770 :)

I'm not a fan of dual GPUs so I can't wait to see what this upcoming generation brings in terms of single GPU performance. Probably will upgrade immediately.

I wonder if this is because the GCN GPUs will have awful power consumption (much like first gen Fermis- also designed for compute performance)

28nm refresh with VLIW-4 will be nice. That means I probably will get my new x770 :)

i don't think AMD's going to dive head first into it like Nvidia did.. Nvidia went into GPGPU and got to the performance point they wanted and never bothered to look at the cost of the GPGPU performance power wise. then tried to save face by lowering clocks to keep them within the power limits they wanted. the last 3-4 years AMD/ATI has been very serious about power usage/efficiency so i don't see them ignoring that while switching to the GCN architecture. but time will tell.

Last edited:
Not in English or official(like the posted article, but info from the 11.7 preview drivers.

http://www.chw.net/2011/07/catalyst-11-7-early-revela-gpus-southern-islands-y-apus-trinity/

Catalyst 11.6 and onwards contain the Southern Islands instruction set and several code names as well. The original discussion and source of that and other related articles is beyond3d forums. Start with this post: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1561886&postcount=365

28nm + VLIW4 on the lowend of the spectrum can make for some scarily powerful budget cards.

This spells good things for Trinity, IMO.

I hear the sound of hundreds of thousands of gamers eager to play Battlefield 3 pulling out their piggybanks, me included. F yes.

I've had bad experiences with AMD/ATI's drivers the past couple of gens, but... with nVidia's stuff not coming out until next year, and BF3 out on Oct 25th with a few other titles of interest this year... let's just say I may be giving it a try again :). Still doubting that either company will have 28nm out this year though.

Early bird gets the worm (on newegg) ;).

I'm expecting DOUBLE the performance (just look at the evolution for last 10 years, the die shrinks are where the biggest performance jumps are and this is a big one!). So a 5Gflop+ on a single card (e.g. 4870 => 5870 = 226%).

I just hope TSMC can deliver this time.

Hopefully these will be better for bitcoin mining.
Nah, bitcoiners will hate these! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back