AMD HardOCP GamExperience Tournament - July 16th

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Here are the official rules for the tournament this weekend. It will be 7 on 7 tourneys playing some TF2. This tournament is focusing on fun!.

Winners will be awarded a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards! 3 random players for the losing teams will be selected to receive a card as well!

HardOCP_GamExperience.gif

AMD [H]ardOCP Texas GamExperience Tournament Rules

● How to Enter: Any player wishing to participate in the tournament is required to email their name and wave selection to [email protected]. You will receive an email confirmation.

● Tournament structure: There will be a total of 3 waves scheduled throughout the day, each wave hosting matches for 4 teams of 7 players.

● There will be two rounds per match. Each round will be a maximum of 20 minutes long, with a 10 minute break between rounds for teams to switch stations.

● Each match will have one 20 minute round using 3 display Eyefinity systems and one 20 minute round using a single display systems.

● How to win: "Round winners will be determined by Control Point (CP) maps. CP maps will be played until a time runs out. At the end of a 20 minute round the team with the highest overall player point totals will determine the winner."

● Maps selection per match will be randomized by roll of the dice and will selected from :CP_5Gorge, CP_Badlands, CP_Granary, CP_Fastlane.

● Prizes: Each member of the final winning team of each of the 3 waves will be awarded a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870. As a bonus, at the end of each of the three waves 1 randomly chosen member from the pool of losing teams throughout the day will be awarded a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870.

● Team rules: Team selection will be randomized before each match. This is done to provide a fair and fun experience for all. Players will be given a ticket at registration that must be given to the tournament manager just before their matches begins. Tickets will then be randomly drawn from a hat for team selection.

● Each team will have 5 minutes before the match begins to decide how they would like to assign classes. There are no class restrictions.

● Wave and match time selection is first come first serve.

● If you did not pre-register for the tournament and wish to participate you may do so if there are slots still available.

Last edited:
Here are the times for the matches and waves.

Wave 1 will have a match at 10:00am and 11:00am
Wave 2 will have a match at 1:00pm and 2:00pm
Wave 3 will have a match at 4:00pm and 5:00pm

Each match will have room for 14 people.

Last edited:
Cool, well I am kind of a TF2 n00b so I can just be a body. I should be getting to this around 1pm.

I will be practicing this week lol....

Signed up and practicing :) Hoping I win one of those GFX cards, my Radeon HD 3200 isn't too great, especially when it comes to TF2.

Still will be quite a bit of raffles and shit right?

I bought TF2 last year, played it like 6 times and never played it again. Never could get into it...

Was hoping for some BC2, Call of Duty: Black Ops or something like that..oh well. I might try and play if someone needs someone I guess. I was planning on being there the whole day, but if its just like a TF2 tournament with small things to do on the side I probably will just do like a half day or something.

Do plan on trying the eyefinity projector setup for dirt 3 though, even though I suck a racing games lol

So awesome! I wish I could go. I don't play a lot of TF2 but thats ok. It would be nice to get a shot at another Sapphire HD6870 to go with the one I already have for some sweet crossfire action! Sounds like it's going to be a great day!

crap is this a you have to be there tourny? i had thought it was a online one might have to unsign up if that is the case.

Got to be there!

It's a LAN tournament and those are hard to do online :rolleyes:

It is a LAN event, as in you have to be sitting on the LAN to be able to play.

You have to be *At The Event* to be able to compete in the tournament.

● How to win: Round winners will be determined by Control Point (CP) maps. CP maps will be played until a team reaches 3 control points or time runs out. If the teams tie the rounds then the team with the highest overall player point totals will determine the winner.

weird, so this is whoever controls the middle wins? or is it 3 captures?

I'm guessing they messed up their wording. A CP match that only went until one team captured the starting neutral point would be pretty lousy. I'm guessing they mean +3 off start, which would mean capturing all 5.

Just sent in my registration. I don't play TF2, so if I get picked to play, I apologize in advance :)

● How to win: Round winners will be determined by Control Point (CP) maps. CP maps will be played until a team reaches 3 control points or time runs out. If the teams tie the rounds then the team with the highest overall player point totals will determine the winner.

Good point Fonz. I am removing the control point scoring and instead using player total score for the round wins.

Should be updated shortly. Thanks for pointing out some confusing wording.

I've played a little bit of TF2, but none recently. I'm going to play for fun :)

Good point Fonz. I am removing the control point scoring and instead using player total score for the round wins.

Should be updated shortly. Thanks for pointing out some confusing wording.

That is very weird for tournament play. Disregard objectives, obtain frags. Everyone go sniper and spy so that you get headshot and backstab points!

What's with the 7v7 as well? That's quite non standard (6v6 or 9v9(Highlander, one of each class)) are basically the standards for competitive play.

That is very weird for tournament play. Disregard objectives, obtain frags. Everyone go sniper and spy so that you get headshot and backstab points!

What's with the 7v7 as well? That's quite non standard (6v6 or 9v9(Highlander, one of each class)) are basically the standards for competitive play.

Keep a few things in mind; the total number of computers/monitors, the number of attendees expected, the amount of time, the number of prizes..ect.

Also, this tourney is suppose to be about FUN, not tryhard MLG competition.

My read is that this is meant more of a tech demo (Eyefinity vs non-Eyefinity) than a serious tourney.

I have a few questions about the rules. Are we going to use the tournament's TF2 accounts with stock classes or can we use our own accounts with our own custom gear? Second, do we/can we bring any of our own peripherals such as mice or headsets?

Can I be on these serious guys teams? :p

I just have been practicing medic past couple days so I can at least help in someway, since I've barely played also :D

My read is that this is meant more of a tech demo (Eyefinity vs non-Eyefinity) than a serious tourney.

You NAILED it Saturn_V!
The goal is for everyone to have a good time and get a chance to play with and without Eyefinity setups.

I'm in it for the fun of it, just had some questions. With a prize pool like that, you are bound to attract some competitive people.

I have another question about the tournament format. How does this "Each member of the final winning team of each of the 3 waves" work? There are 4 teams total per wave, but as far as I can tell 2 teams play each other and then 2 more teams play each other. If the teams from different matches do not play each other, who is the winner?

I have a few questions about the rules. Are we going to use the tournament's TF2 accounts with stock classes or can we use our own accounts with our own custom gear? Second, do we/can we bring any of our own peripherals such as mice or headsets?

hey monte can we get an answer to that ^?

Well, it is a fun way to have a tourney and to show off Eyefinity. AMD is paying for all of this, so you have to expect a bit of its tech being shown off. And quite frankly, it is pretty cool going back and forth between Eyefinity and non-EF systems and seeing and feeling the difference. But I would hardly call the tournament a "tech demo." We wanted a way to be able to give something back to the community through prizes and such, and 14 PCs setup to let you guys get some frags in sounded fun. :D But no, the tourney is not "serious," hence the reason we are randomizing the teams.

Just sent in my registration. I don't play TF2, so if I get picked to play, I apologize in advance :)

When you are registering, you ARE signing up to be there and play at that specific time. DO NOT register for the tourney if you do not want to play.....

This is not competitive play. :) And we are certainly not standard. You take that back!

Also, the "apologize in advance" is to my teammates, because I'm pretty sure I will not do so well.

I would love to go, but suck at mutliplayer games. I kinda want to go just to see the tech and see BD + Deus Ex.

too late to register? I'd need to be in Wave 1... I can only come for a few hours do to work later in the day

Back