fudge2011

Limp Gawd
basically how do i get the radeon amd catalyst suite running on this setup:

core i7 2600k
asrock z68 pro3
radeon 6950 HD 2GB
2x4GB DDR3
corsair 650W

the asrock z68 comes with intel graphics and its own userinterface. Basically I cant attach any cable to the GPU and get a visual on the HZ-281 monitor. It only works with a vga-vga cable to the motherboard.

the cable im trying to the gpu is dvi to hdmi on the monitor. When I install the catalyst suite I get some log errors but they say everything is installed.

Looking in the GPU manual everything should have installed correctly and the catalyst suite should be available from right clicking the desktop to being in the programs menu. this isn't the case. I have now tried installing suite 1.5 and 1.6 and separately just the driver from 1.6. This doesn't work either. Ive also tried installing hot fix patches from AMD and nothing happens. What is the difference in custom and express install with this?

Ive have constantly tried both express and custom and custom seems to highlight that everything is installed when I cant see it or connect anything successfully to the GPU.

please help im trying to run three of these but atm i cant get one running

Last edited:
My guess here is that you didn't uninstall before you installed. Make sure that the older drivers (nvidia or ATI) are gone. There some utilities out there that can help, driversweeper .

The 1st time I installed my 6990 it didn't like the drivers that I downloaded. With 11.6 there are some quirks ..you be better of with trying 11.5 .

thanks. but since this is a completely new build the only graphics i have by default are the motherboards built in graphics because im on a z68 asrock pro3.

should i uninstall them from the control panel and try again.

this couldn't be anything to do with my settings as having automatuic updates which i read somewhere is it?

everytime like I said it gives an error but doesn't really clarify it. I click to view errors and it takes my to a webpage presumably to summarise those from my installation as below:

obviously there are errors though as I cant actually get into the catalyst suite to install drivers: most notably as I have already mentioned no cables work in the GPU

3.png
Capture.png
shows up in control panel but I can't open it
574.png

Im beginning to realise there could be alot of things wrong or something fundamental. I could try updating bios, checking compatibility between mobo and gpu: taking out gpu and putting it back in, checking where i put the power cable in the gpu as there were two slots for this i think(although the fans are running which is a good sign on the gpu). in addition i think a technician diagnosed everything and the gpu was okai.

apart from the above,,there could be something fundamental missing in my computer like c++ or something but I dont know.

I have just connected a dvi to hmdi cable to the mobo and monitor and it is working fine. obviously this is no good as i want to run triple eyefinity eventually with nothing connected to mobo, is it a case of using the dongle to begin with does anyone think, i,e dp-dvi-hdmi on what one could consider as a default monitor when setting up eyefinity? '',

Last edited:
i have just tried plugging dp-dvi-hdmi and two dvi-hdmi leads and as you would expect nothing is recognised because of this driver failure.

the CCC not working doesn't mean the driver failed.. what does it say in Device manager say?

Have you checked your Event logs? make sure you aren't getting any .net errors..

have you run Driver Cleaner/Sweeper anything like that? if so you are on your own - i've seen those programs royal fubar systems.

When you plug in your DVI cable do you get a "ding" signaling the pluging in of the monitor..

To me it sounds like something else is wrong, check your device manager and make sure your PC is recognizing the card correctly (no !)..

also check your BIOS and make sure theren't some setting where you have to disable the onboard to get the discreet to work.

thanks I will try to disable the onboard updates, which i presume is the re-installiation of those intel vga graphics it keeps installing whenever I delete them.

erm,,the device manager only recognizes the intel z68 graphics,,, I am about to install the chipset graphics though. No I didn't get a beep but I think the computer started loading more when I pput dvi into gpu

this is what device manager recognizes,,,i think this is how you tell if the pc actually recognizes anything at all in terms of video/graphics,,,but basically the gpus fans are running...thats about it ,,i havenet seen radeon 6950 show up anywhere ,,,should it show up anywhere? :s
66666666666.png
yes i called my pc thewheel

Last edited:
looks like your ati card isn't even being recognized by the system, check in your bios.. also check your POST screen and see if it enumerates the radeon card in the post check/boot screen.

if the drivers failed to install you would have the ! next to a device.

Oh. Missed the part that you are getting no video output when you plug the vga cable into the new ATI card.

you should still get video from thew ati card even without proper drivers.

its not vga i put into the gpu it is dvi.(radeon 6950s have two dvi two mini dp and one hdmi) and yes it doesn't display anything.

ok im in the bios and the only thing i can find relating to gpu is someting saying Load optimized GPU oc setting disabled/enabled....should i enable this?(i presume oc is overclock and as im not overclocking anything yet this will probably not alter anything) but yeah, where would i see if the gpu is recognized in the bios?

also how would it enumerate the gpu in the POST screen,,what do i look for(i presume the post screen is where you get the option to boot safe mode,normal etc)

@tuksonrider i have a 64 bit system with network frame 4 client profile,,is this backwards compatible for framework 2.0...

Registered here to post this.

I'm having the same problem, and our setups are eerily similar.

I have a:
-XFX Radeon 6950 1gb
-ASRock pro3 Z68
-i5 2500k
-500w OCZ modxstream PSU
-2x4gb DDR3

tested the card in another setup and it worked fine.

Here are some things I've tried/noticed:
-the fan on the card spins (sounds like its idling)
-tried installing CCC (doesn't see my card)
-device manager doesn't see it
-tried updating the bios (didn't help)
-tried updating the chipset (didn't help)
-tried clearing the CMOS (didn't help)
-tried taking out CMOS battery, then plugging it back in (didn't help)

If you want to check the mobo's graphics priority, go to (in bios) Advanced ->> North Bridge Configuration ->> Graphics priority (something like that) It should be PCI express, but mine already was.

out of curiosity, do you have an XFX card too? Hope its not a compatibility issue :(

According to the manual for your motherboard you need to disable IGD Multi-Monitor in the bios (advanced-> north bridge configuration) to use a PCIe GPU, while you're in there you should make sure that primary graphics adapter is set to PCI Express.

From the one screenshot it looks like you might not have the drivers installed for your motherboard, you can install them from the disk that came with the motherboard or find the newest drivers here.

I'm not sure what you meant about the power connections but make sure that the power supply is plugged into both connections.

Good Luck

thanks for the last three-four replies,,i will get on this at 6.00am uk time. unfortunately imnot at my desktop until then..hope to speak later..and just to note i have a 2gb VTX radeon 6950 not xfx thanks...please add any thoughts though until then

Last edited:
Any updates OP?

I tried disabling IGD Multi-Monitor, but that didn't help. The primary graphics adapter IS set to PCI Express. Also, my mobo has all of its drivers installed and updated.

I also tried a different card, to test if the slot was broken. I had to use an old Matrox G550 PCIe X1 video card (which i think can up-plug into a PCIe X16 slot) and although the motherboard recognized it, it would not output video, and it ended up having errors in Windows (Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems) However, the card had the same error on ALL of my PCIe slots, so I think its because the video card is old and incompatible, not because the PCIe X16 slot is broken.

In summary, all my BIOS settings seems to be correct, and the video card and mobo slot seem to be working, but they don't see each-other. This problem is driving me crazy :( I can't even decide which part to RMA.

honorious what exact problems do you get?(,(oh i just read the above post) can you not get the catalyst suite running or is there no rocognition of the card? what monitor are you running and i presume you are just trying to run it through the gpu like me.

im currently installing motherboard drivers.

honourious as for your card working in another system it could be just the motherboard drivers.

do you think it could be the motherboard drivers being out of date,,there are 1.3 versions now and they shipped inthe last month or two with 1.1 or 1.2 i believe,,i wouldnt know where to start with updating them...it might be quite simple though, just a thought

as for the bios i disabled the multi thing,,but what is that for exactly?

one other thing is that asrock mobo only specifies ram and cpu for compatability on its website and both these are fine with me. I would assume then that this mobo can run any gpu provided it has the pcie,,,thoughts on this anyone? http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68 Pro3 see support list to the LHS on the link

Last edited:
my fingers are corssed that when i install mobo drivers, the gpu is rocognized and the catalyst suite will show up straight away or after a re-install and that then i can run monitor/monitiors through the gpu.

one other thing i got the other day by luck i imagine was the ability to switch between 9 desktops in the taskbar menu. i think some part of the gpu driver mstve been installed but i think my monitor was plugged into the mobo. i cant get this feature now

also honrius did you get the orange question mark arror upon catalsyt suite installation like above pics?

Last edited:
No recognition of the card. Doesn't show up in device manager or even output video at all. I am running a Samsung PX 2370 using the DVI connection, but I have to connect my monitor to my motherboard's DVI output in order to get video.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but mobo drivers installed on Windows should take effect after the OS loads, so I don't think motherboard drivers should be the problem, considering even my BIOS doesn't recognize the card.

I think multi-monitor is to allow the motherboard to output to multiple monitors, but I'm not sure. Enabling/Disabling it had no effect on my system.

no dude i think you have to use the cd,,i just did and then you get things like usb 3.0 recognized,,try it ,,might be onto something,,,when it reboots first time with the asrock dvd installation change boot order to hard drive first because it asks for those stupid diskette ATA drivers

this is another picture of issues I faced a few days ago;
5-1.png

oh right,,what about catalyst suite from the radeon dvd,, can you open and install that ok? i think, but im not to sure that the dvd has versions 11.6

my main concern is that the catalsyt install manager shows up in the control panel under prgrams but no-where else :s wbu

ive just noticed now i installed the asrock dvd i have a bunch of visual c++ in the control panel which might help :p

Hmm I downloaded the 11-6 vista64 win7 file from AMD's site (the one in the top of your downloads folder on your screenshot) and tried that. Didn't get any errors, but it also wouldn't really install CCC or the drivers, I think because it didn't see my card. I'll try the disk when i get off work tonight and get some screenshots.

I also get the install manager in the control panel, but i think the install manager just helps you Install CCC, but isn't actually the Catalyst Control Center. I think it'll only let you install the real CCC if it sees your card.

Last edited:
i imagine this is all because it cant recognize the card or the default intel graphics in the z68 boards is just not allowing anything to work. im going to have to try uninstall the intel default graphics again or something.

this must be something to do with these default intel(R) chipset graphics, doeanyone recommend just deleting them? the problem im getting is when i uninstall them they just install automatically again....there doesnt seem to be an option to turn this off in the bios/??????? so ive just disabled them and going to see what i can do

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

Last edited:
Plugging in the video card should automatically disable the chipset graphics. For some reason either
a) the chipset is taking priority even though the BIOS is set to use PCIe
or
b) the mobo doesn't see the video card and is defaulting to the chipset graphics.
this could be from:
-a bad PCIe slot (which i've tested for... not the case)
-a bad video card (which i've tested for... not the case)
-not enough power on the video card (don't think this is the problem)
-a bug/defect in the motherboard protocols for recognizing our particular PCIe cards (our cards use custom PCBs, so perhaps although they work for some motherboards, they don't work for all motherboards... perhaps the ASRock z68 pro3 is just picky and doesn't like that our video cards are non-standard radeon cards)
-something else??

update motherboard bios ffrom 1.2 to 1.3?

looks like they have 1.5 now !!!! but ive never done this before and ive heard you have to flash it :s http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68 Pro3&o=BIOS

nb, the manual http://www.power-color.com/Manual/090106/Radeon_HD_6900_Series_ENG.pdf says not to actually put the gpu in the motherboard until drivers are downloaded,,so this would suggest things like catlayst cntrol centre doesnt even need to reconize the gpu.....

ultimately from my screen shots above the drivers wont intall n wnidows 7 ult 64 :s

Last edited:
Nice find! :) I flashed to 1.4, but it didn't help. 1.5 must have just come out. I'll try it when I get home. Really not hard, just download the Instant Flash one, and stick it on a USB drive.

so you download the instant flash, put it on a usb stick then boot from usb is that what you do? do you have instruuctiions for a noob to do this?

is flashing risker than the other options? mind yuo from instruction usb flashing does look the easiest.

also , which os do you have again?

im currently on 1.2 and ive no idea if that RST update will help at all,,is it possible to go from 1.2 straight to 1.5 anyone http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=Z68 Pro3&o=BIOS

Last edited:
not being funny but, i read somewhere z68 boards have the abaility to turn off gpu's

until you get the device in device manager there isn't any point in trying to install the drivers..

if it isn't in device manager something isn't working correctly.

Just to double check do the Fans come on on the card? do you have the power plugged into the card?

i wouldn't mess around with drivers until you get the card recognized by the system (right now your motherboard isn't even recognizing the card is installed)..

might be worth a call to ASRock for support on this one.

So just put the file onto the USB drive (might wanna make sure its the only file on there). Reboot, and go into bios, then go under advanced, then UEFI Update Utility --> instant flash. I flashed mine from default to 1.4 with no problems (figured it was already not working, so why worry...) , but IDK how risky it is.

Yeah z68 boards can turn the GPU off to use Virtu. It certainly seems good at turning our GPUs off :rolleyes:

H-street,

I can't speak for OP, but my fans come on. The card even works on a different system. Emailed ASRock support, but they're useless :mad:

Edit: sorry for double post

yeah they only have a contact number in amsterdam, i should ring them.

my fans on the gpu also come on,,the VTX version has two fans and theyre both working.

as for device manager I cant find anything whatsoever. the only thing showing up ni the one pcie slot with the pro3 is another family chipset for which I have no idea what this is.
19-1.png

honorious have you tried deleting the intel graphics frm device manager?,,,i suppose I should wait see if 1.5 worked for you honorious

did you go from 1.2 straight to 1.4?

ok have i/we got this pci cable connected in the right slot,,is there supposed to be that wire sticking out or should it fit into the port to the left together with what is already connected somehow/
20110714_002.jpg

basically i guessed this first time round because i dont think it fits into the slot to the left to answer my own question. the two slots wire sticking out should probably be like that.. :p

Last edited:
Someone else may have to answer this question but i don't know if you can run the 6950 with only 1 PCIe power connector plugged in..

Do you have another 6pin power connector to plug both of them up.

That wire sticking out is your 8pin addon (so you can plug it into either 8 or 6 pin pcie)

so basically i need another pci power connector in that left slot, ok cool I will try and get one in it.

it struggles to get into the left slot when i tried before and easier to get into the right. does anyone know why this would be?

omg have 2gb cards like this always required two pci power connections? lets see..like you said someone else should answer that question

thats one issue but also in your bios you can tell it what will be the primary video source. In your case you should select PCI slot as the setting. I think its defaulting because it is not getting enough power.

Back