E3 Rumors on Next Generation Console Hardware @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
E3 Rumors on Next Generation Console Hardware - Guys talk, you hear things. And at this year's E3 HardOCP picked up a lot of information about the upcoming hardware in the next generation consoles. It will be interesting to see if our rumor mill churns up truth or fiction. We wanted to get this out the week after E3, but we had some I's to dot and some T's to cross.

Interesting stuff. I'm barely interested in consoles, but I too have been looking foward to PC games moving on.

fixed

Gratz to AMD on the design win for all three consoles.
Admittedly, it will be an older design like the HD3XXXX series but this is also a win for the PC guys too like me. Granted NVIDIA has the same capabilities in their chips but it seems like this was more a matter of corporate charisma than technical specs. NVIDIA CEO is a strong leader but may have gone to far in his previous negotiation demands that now no one wants to deal with them.

With more powerful GPUs in the consoles, all games will step up their graphics since consoles are the least common denominator when designing games nowadays. I'm not happy about it but it is the reality we all face. I can't wait until more details come to light.

Gratz to AMD on the design win for all three consoles.
Admittedly, it will be an older design like the HD3XXXX series but this is also a win for the PC guys too like me. Granted NVIDIA has the same capabilities in their chips but it seems like this was more a matter of corporate charisma than technical specs. NVIDIA CEO is a strong leader but may have gone to far in his previous negotiation demands that now no one wants to deal with them.

With more powerful GPUs in the consoles, all games will step up their graphics since consoles are the least common denominator when designing games nowadays. I'm not happy about it but it is the reality we all face. I can't wait until more details come to light.

since they are looking at a 2014ish release time for the xbox my guess is it will either be a low end 6k series or 7k series gpu since the average R&D time is about 2 years which would make sense. though i really hope they drop the cell processor idea and maybe look into AMD's trinity design instead.

i'm more curious... would ati actually provide the same gpu to both the ps4 and 720? Aren't they both suppose to be released in 2014 roughly the same time? It would seem kinda weird though.

As for what GPU, my guess would be a 68xx series mainly because of the time frame. Heck, look at the Wii U, it's rumoured to have a modified 4850 in it...

Sounds about right, I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia quoted a higher price for gpu's than AMD....no surprise there really. :rolleyes: About time nV got a kick in the ass that they're not the only game in town.

My $0.02 contribution to this discussion is from a recently heard podcast (can't remember which since I listen to many each week & was half paying attention since Sony news is usually about their websites being hacked) that felt that the PS4 2012 release date was incorrect and that it was just going to be a refresh of the PS3, that Sony was going to stick with it's 10 year PS3 plan.

There is a PS4 countdown clock website for your amusement/bemusement..\

http://www.ps4playstation4.com/ps4-release-date-countdown-begins

Could we finally be seeing OpenCL in console games :O

I get excited when it comes to new hardware, even if its console.

I think you guys are underestimating the GPUs, if you recall, when the PS3 was released back in '06 it was sporting the equivalent of 2x 6800 Ultras in SLi (if I recall from a slide I saw). I don't think a 2013/2014 console will be the equivalent of an AMD 6xxxx, but will definitely be of newer generation.

So, in other words, by the time they are launched, the hardware will already be obsolete - again - and the cycle repeats :p

Great news for AMD. PhysX has been dead since it was started.

Agreed, there have been - what - 35 titles in 4 years that use it, only one of which I've actually played (and when I did, I didn't even bother to turn PhysX on, even though i had a high end Nvidia card)

But that doesn't mean anything. If you take a look at a development cycle of most titles you see years as opposed to months which means that attainable development goals will be set early so in a way it doesn't matter if the hardware is dated :) .

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice to see AMD pull way ahead of Nvidia in terms of secured huge orders. I absolute hate the fact that Nvidia charges so much for their cards. What I even hate more were their underhanded scheme at how they tried to splinter PC gamers with their physics bullshit. What bullshit. And what any dev will tell you and they've blogged about many times before, AMD hardware could not only do physics but in most cases, done it better than Nvidia.

I am hoping and praying they again price themselves out of reach of most PC gamers with another $600 lol $600 lol $600 lol video card. Please Nvidia ... do this again. Please. Remove your brand even further from PC gamers minds and wallets.

Could we finally be seeing OpenCL in console games :O

I get excited when it comes to new hardware, even if its console.

I think you guys are underestimating the GPUs, if you recall, when the PS3 was released back in '06 it was sporting the equivalent of 2x 6800 Ultras in SLi (if I recall from a slide I saw). I don't think a 2013/2014 console will be the equivalent of an AMD 6xxxx, but will definitely be of newer generation.

Actually, the RSX is equal to a 7800/7850GT, and I think some early games used the Cell for most of the graphics work, where the RSX was mostly used for applying AA and scaling.

I still think that the PS4/Xbox 3 will use gpus based on Evergreen. More than likely, a 28nm version.

Actually, the RSX is equal to a 7800/7850GT, and I think some early games used the Cell for most of the graphics work, where the RSX was mostly used for applying AA and scaling.

I still think that the PS4/Xbox 3 will use gpus based on Evergreen. More than likely, a 28nm version.

lol I was gonna say I didn't know a 7800/7850GT was equal to 6800 ultra SLI.

Ah Nvidia. I'll forever love your control panel but hate your hardware (and pricing). Perhaps this is for the best.

In terms of the next consoles - I just want a 1080p standard. That's really all they need to win me over. 3D and new control schemes are dandy, but I really just want a better version of the current experience.

Even though I give the [H] more credibility than charlie where it comes to rumors. I recall the initial rumored specs of all 3 consoles and what they ended up.

Gotts say that AMD's track record on consoles is way better than nvidia's. So its no surprise that next gen consoles are going that route.

I find this to be fantastic news. AMD being the gpu of choice of all the consoles means more open standards would be used (I imagine), therefore sending the proprietary nvidia BS on its way into obsolescence. I am not wrong in thinking this, right?

Ah Nvidia. I'll forever love your control panel but hate your hardware (and pricing). Perhaps this is for the best.

In terms of the next consoles - I just want a 1080p standard. That's really all they need to win me over. 3D and new control schemes are dandy, but I really just want a better version of the current experience.

This. I wouldn't have a new card if I didn't find a good deal on one. My PC can give me this better experience however until they do. On the flip side from a console gamer's perspective, I don't mind waiting 3 more years so I can build a huge game library for my two XBox 360s.

I find this to be fantastic news. AMD being the gpu of choice of all the consoles means more open standards would be used (I imagine), therefore sending the proprietary nvidia BS on its way into obsolescence. I am not wrong in thinking this, right?

Nope. While PhysX additions in a game can add nicely to the visual part of the equasion, I think the market would be much better served if OpenCL and DirectCompute were pushed for those additions instead. AMD GPUs in all the next consoles will force the issue amongst developers and publishers.

It's pretty amazing how all three major consoles are using processors from IBM. I wonder what kind of power/gaming experience we'll be getting if the industry sticks to the usual pricing brackets/market segmentation.

i can't see a 1080p standard on neither of these consoles. My guess would be 720p. Remember, there are alot of 720p tvs out there even though they r still considered HD and alot of ppl bought them, this would save on cost of development while expanding the user base of the system.

with all the conflicting rumors and news, i still am curious whether the ps4 and xbox720 (placeholder name) will launch in 2012/2013/2014...

3rd gen Xbox rumored to have an IBM "cell" processor.

Now that's a huge change... especially since it diverges from the "easy" to program for paradigm that Microsoft was touting for the 360.

One word- power efficiency.

While in desktop space we can accept 50W more at same performance console makers cannot.

i can't see a 1080p standard on neither of these consoles. My guess would be 720p. Remember, there are alot of 720p tvs out there even though they r still considered HD and alot of ppl bought them, this would save on cost of development while expanding the user base of the system.

Just because 1080p would be the standard, doesn't mean a user with a 720p tv couldn't play the console. I am sure the xbox could handle outputting a 720p signal from a 1080p source, just like it can output at all sorts of resolutions today.

Also, technically you said you can see a 1080p standard on either of the consoles due to your use of a double negative...

Just because 1080p would be the standard, doesn't mean a user with a 720p tv couldn't play the console. I am sure the xbox could handle outputting a 720p signal from a 1080p source, just like it can output at all sorts of resolutions today.

Also, technically you said you can see a 1080p standard on either of the consoles due to your use of a double negative...

HD ready tvs accept 1080p sources and downscale them very well.

No, seriously. Screw those companies. Where's my new Sega console?

I demand a Dreamcast 2 and a new Legacy of Kain game for said non-existent console.

Consoles can die in a fire, and I'd be happy to set it. I hope the rumor about "casual" gamers shifting toward hand held devices and away from consoles is true. The more of those people that get addicted to Angry Birds the better. That way us hardcore PC gamers can get what we want and deserve instead of just more leftovers from badly ported console titles.

Consoles can die in a fire, and I'd be happy to set it. I hope the rumor about "casual" gamers shifting toward hand held devices and away from consoles is true. The more of those people that get addicted to Angry Birds the better. That way us hardcore PC gamers can get what we want and deserve instead of just more leftovers from badly ported console titles.

highly unlikely.

I think we are about due for another console gaming crash.

don't think this would help pc gaming at all - would be bad for the industry as a whole due to an enormous loss in revenue, and thus pc gaming as well since many companies would be shut down and fewer games would be made...

Back