PS4 Coming In 2012 Will Have Kinect-like Control

HardOCP News

[H] News
Please let this story be fake. Is Sony really going to copy the Kinect?

Sony will have Taiwan-based partners begin production of PlayStation 4 (PS4) featuring body movement-based control like Kinect at the end of 2011 for launch in 2012, according to Taiwan-based component makers. Foxconn and Pegatron Technology, assemblers of PS3, will undertake assembly of PS4 as well.

Fake as far as using motion control as the center piece of the console or using a similar technology?

OMG, they'll have to call the police to protect the stores from rabid fans just like they did when the ps3 came out in europe!

Please let it be real..the pc needs to move all games to DX11...now!

No source so I am calling this fake. Plus a feature like this certainly would of been announced by Sony first.

That and despite my lack of any confidence in Sony's intelligence after the PSN debacle, even I doubt they are stupid enough to center the console around that garbage.

And just what is wrong with motion controls? Sure, you see the gimmicks at Kinect's launch, but I have no doubt some form of motion controls are here to stay.

If Forza 4's head tracking doesn't completely suck, like every camera based head tracking system preceeding it, Kinect will is going to prove motion has a SUPPLIMENTARY control should be celebrated.

Rumble packs used to be total gimmicks but now I expect high quality titles to have good feedback. I think that's the one technology that's far superior on consoles than similar tech on PC.

I still think the real problem with the Kinect is developers thinking it has to be the ONLY controller you use when interacting with a game. I think if you combined Kinect motions with hand held controllers, it could be really cool. That demo they showed at E3 of Ghost Recon - shooting with "jazz hands" looked stupid, but the gesture as if the guy was grabbing a magazine off his belt and slapping it into the gun was a cool mechanic. I could see using the whole "commando hand gestures" stuff to signal your teammates would be cool too. But if I'm in an FPS, I want a gun to hold.

And just what is wrong with motion controls? Sure, you see the gimmicks at Kinect's launch, but I have no doubt some form of motion controls are here to stay.

If Forza 4's head tracking doesn't completely suck, like every camera based head tracking system preceeding it, Kinect will is going to prove motion has a SUPPLIMENTARY control should be celebrated.

Rumble packs used to be total gimmicks but now I expect high quality titles to have good feedback. I think that's the one technology that's far superior on consoles than similar tech on PC.

Because I don't want to move more then my thumbs when playing my games. Sorry but my fingers are overwhelmingly faster then my entire body will ever be.

I don't mind motion controls so long as they remain a gimmick that doesn't interfere with my main line title experience. Case and point I still use a Wavebird on the wii as it is superior in basically every game to the wiimote.

Rumblepacks are still gimmicks and I am fine with that. If I wanted my hands vibrated I would go digging in my wifes toys. I still use the original 6 axis controller over the dual shock.

Again, I don't object to it I just want it optional. So long as I can use a normal controller and turn off the stuff I am perfectly happy. Sony I don't believe is stupid enough to alienate their core audience like Nintendo seems to be doing with the wii2.

That would be hilarious.

First they rip off the Wiimotes, then they decide after all the mocking they do of the Kinect (with not having buttons) they move to a motion tracking controller.

I will laugh so hard if this happens.

i can just see the agony of people trying to figure out how to use this thing now its equipped with motion control
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyVh1_vWYQ"]YouTube - ‪Sony Releases Stupid Piece Of Shit That Doesn't Fucking Work‬‏[/ame]

That would be hilarious.

First they rip off the Wiimotes, then they decide after all the mocking they do of the Kinect (with not having buttons) they move to a motion tracking controller.

+1

That would absolutely make my day lol

I want this to be true, because it makes that Microsoft guy from last week look like an ass for saying the 360 is about halfway through its life cycle. ;)

Please let it be real..the pc needs to move all games to DX11...now!

Thats what I was thinking! When MS said the 360 could last another 6 years, that sunk any further PC game development. If PS4 comes out in 2012, that means MS needs to also do the same, and PC games can finally advance a little further!

Is Pegatron = Asus?

Pegatron is an Asus subsidary for repair. The one in USA has the following brands. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Alienware, Dell, HP, Apple, EVGA, and recently Toshiba. If Pegatron is used for Playstations you can bet your ass there will be more failures than the Xbox360 had.

I wouldn't mind a racing game with a wheel and pedals.. and you can look up a little to see out the rear view, or see the roof.. look out the sideviews.. or look down, etc.

Classic! I did have a PS3 for a short amount of time. It was an annoyance keeping that thing updated and everything. The interface was slow and complex, and I just didn't like it.

Moving left and right across an interface was too complex for you?!? It is fine not to like it, but I've never really heard people bitch about the XMB being too complex :rolleyes:

Definitely fake. There is no way Sony will launch a new console before Microsoft. They've already lost a ton of money on the PS3.

Not to mention there was zero mention of a PS4 in any of the E3 news, which there most definitely would have been if this thing was going into production at the end of this year.

Just remember that Kinect sold 8 million units in TWO MONTHS at $150 a pop!!!
Sony just needs optical only motion controls to KEEP UP, let alone beat the competition, so I would expect Sony to include a Kinect like motion tracking feature in its next gen console. Just keepin up with the Joneses.

Well, just looking at the videos of Forza 4's head tracking makes me think it's just a gimmick.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJgMRjpAcOM&NR=1"]YouTube - ‪Forza Motorsport 4: Headtracking with Kinect‬‏[/ame]
Since when do I ever look through the driver's window coming up to a corner? In real life I can see all of that out of my front windshield. And there's no way they can actually simulate a side check just because there's no head mounted display, so it's limited to the slight adjustments in viewing angles in the video.

Definitely looks cool in the videos, but I can't see myself gaining anything from it, nor spending $150 on a Kinect to get it.

Just remember that Kinect sold 8 million units in TWO MONTHS at $150 a pop!!!
Sony just needs optical only motion controls to KEEP UP, let alone beat the competition, so I would expect Sony to include a Kinect like motion tracking feature in its next gen console. Just keepin up with the Joneses.

Well, just looking at the videos of Forza 4's head tracking makes me think it's just a gimmick.
YouTube - ‪Forza Motorsport 4: Headtracking with Kinect‬‏
Since when do I ever look through the driver's window coming up to a corner? In real life I can see all of that out of my front windshield. And there's no way they can actually simulate a side check just because there's no head mounted display, so it's limited to the slight adjustments in viewing angles in the video.

Definitely looks cool in the videos, but I can't see myself gaining anything from it, nor spending $150 on a Kinect to get it.

Yeah I don't get it. You aren't really "looking" at anything by turning your head, you are just turning your head and then you need to look back in the opposite direction with your eyes, so the whole thing is a waste of time...

Maybe some people sit closer to the screen than I do...

They should copy eeeverything sucky! Why not have playstation live and charge for p2p multiplayer too! And have 3 games only (a driving game a shooting game and another shooting game) and only talk about those ever.

That would be hilarious.

How else can you do movement controls other than something like Wii or Kinect? Neither of which offer the best solution. Move imo offers the best of both worlds, I believe this was covered in one of those PSN Video Underground videos from like 18 months ago. They talked about what the best way to do motion was and even mentioned kinect saying how it was too limited in what it could and could not do.

All Microsoft has to do is release another addon on controller with Kinect and they would be set but after E3 it's obvious they probably never will.

All Microsoft has to do is release another addon on controller with Kinect and they would be set but after E3 it's obvious they probably never will.

I like how they demo's some voice control stuff with Kinect that would be perfectly doable with a XBox Live head set, but they try to make it sound like Kinect was some magical hardware that enabled people to talk to their game :p

A release this early would indicate that the design probably uses 40nm graphics, which seems stupid when 28nm will be out soon enough (unless they've had access to 28nm and time to iron out the kinks and such...seems unrealistic)

For that reason, and the others mentioned in this thread, I don't buy this news. The next-gen consoles should be using 28nm graphics or at least a process better than our current 40nm.

We had better hope they use the best hardware possible for the sake of PC gaming.

A release this early would indicate that the design probably uses 40nm graphics, which seems stupid when 28nm will be out soon enough (unless they've had access to 28nm and time to iron out the kinks and such...seems unrealistic)

For that reason, and the others mentioned in this thread, I don't buy this news. The next-gen consoles should be using 28nm graphics or at least a process better than our current 40nm.

We had better hope they use the best hardware possible for the sake of PC gaming.

Consoles are designed and built to what is going to be affordable at the time of release, then they go through revisions to reduce processes and lower power consumption. Also you need to keep in mind that they work on the hardware plans for years, and its not as simple as someone saying "OK lets just change to spec to use the new 28nm chip!"

Is Sony really going to copy the Kinect?

"Going to copy"? But the Playstation Move was released two months before the Kinect. From everything I've read, the main advantage that the Kinect had over the move was an advertising budget of half a billion dollars.

Whoever started this seems to be unaware of the Playstation Move.

Used to be?

The evil side of me wished to see both xbox and ps going down the casual path of Wii with their motion controller thing. Then maybe the bigger game developers will finally turn their attention back to PC platform. :D

The evil side of me wished to see both xbox and ps going down the casual path of Wii with their motion controller thing. Then maybe the bigger game developers will finally turn their attention back to PC platform. :D

All that would happen is that youd be playing BF3 with a wiimote :p

...Well, just looking at the videos of Forza 4's head tracking makes me think it's just a gimmick.
YouTube - ‪Forza Motorsport 4: Headtracking with Kinect‬‏

I dunno, I will try it first. It actually looks like something that could add to the driving experience, but it depends heavily on the implementation. I don't know about you, but sometimes I actually used the right stick in Forza 3 in order to see my rearview mirrors and/or right mirror. Unfortunately using the right stick in the middle of a race usually messes up my timing so I end up in all kinds of trouble. This could help.

At the moment Sony and MS are just playing poker with their cards tight to their chests. They are waiting for the first one to call and go from there, then its on.

The thing I'm missing is that last time for a good two years before both consoles came out we had masses of info on the CPU development side. All the news about both firms going to IBM, the design decisions etc. etc.

This time round? Nothing. So either security is super tight, nothing is happening or all they are going to do is double up and refine the CPU so we have in effect dual core Cell and Xenon chips (12 single cores for the Cell and 6 duals for the new Xenon) which wouldnt be a bad thing. Paired up with a tweaked/custom mid range DX11 spec GPU from Nvidia/AMD (450/5770) respectively and away you go. Possibly developement platforms wouldnt need too much adjustment either.

In a way the performance playingfield has flattened with the 1080p limit so its not like a massive jump in performance is required (much to many folks disgust).

So much for the 10 year life spawn that Sony boasted about , R.I.P. PS3 .

Sooo... The PS Move can allready do "Kinect-like" like behavior as in finding the person and such as with Eye-Toy titles. It's just that the Kinect's projected IR grid allows it to be far more acurate, and let's be honest there's no way they're letting Sony get away with using that.

So much for the 10 year life spawn that Sony boasted about , R.I.P. PS3 .

Thank god, this console generation has lasted long enough. Sony has been releasing a new PS console every 6 years, so 2012 is about right for a new release. Microsoft get on the ball!

Back