NBA Faces $1M Fine for Using Facebook or Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
The NBA lockout was bad enough already, without something like this making it worse. Personally I think the whole damn thing is ridiculous and I'm not just talking about the social media blackout. :(

Salary negotiations, salary caps, revenue sharing and just about every other negotiation has come to a standstill today between the NBA and its players. Since the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement last night between the owners and players, the league has barred any interaction between them through Facebook or Twitter until a new contract is reached.

Good. Hopefully they lock it down to the point where you need a permit to watch any of their games. That way the whole thing can just die already.

The average NBA player makes $6,000,000 a year. My heart is bleeding for them....WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH WWWWWAAAAHHHHHH

It's funny how the more total money an institution brings in, the more people will fight over how to split it.

The average NBA player makes $6,000,000 a year. My heart is bleeding for them....WWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHH WWWWWAAAAHHHHHH

do you even know what the article is about? it's about the owners and those employed by them. If they are caught using social media messaging players, then they face a $1 million fine.

american sports needs to just die already.
overpaid crybabies, no real competition, watered down entertainment that fuels aggression amongst the public and is just another separator of people.

I always viewed the NBA as the convict sport. This lockout doesn't pain me in the least

This is pointless, the owners can outlast the players, your talking about people with net worth in the near or greater than billion dollar range, 6 million dollars is a lot of money but when you spend nearly all of it, it doesn't leave you much to fall back on. I really can't say I care anyway, college ball is infinitely better, and cheaper, oh and there are no black outs .. .

If I hadn't read about this whole NBA thing on this site I'd probably not have even known anything was happening with the NBA.

Doesn't surprise me that member's of a technology site isn't interested in the NBA or sports in general.
Many of the comments are off the cuff and lack any knowledge about the lockout.

I guess I'm in the very tiny minority when I say that I grew up playing and watching sports. I went to MLB and NBA games a few times a year and it was awesome. The atmosphere is really great and you meet some interesting people. I would really hate to see the NBA come crashing down just because people want a little more money but that's life. Greed is the root of all evil and everyone wants more and more. Do I feel bad for any of the players/owners? Hell no, but I still would like to watch my sports. It's a stress release from the burdens of school and its good ol' fashion competition. I guess that's something no one enjoys anymore.

These lockouts and "negotiations" are ridiculous. Both sides are only hurting themselves, just cut a fair deal and be done with it. Why go through a money losing lockout when there is plenty of room for everyone to benefit. Extra stipulations like this facebook/twitter thing are just petty, even if there is some possible legitimate reason for it.

I guess I'm in the very tiny minority when I say that I grew up playing and watching sports. I went to MLB and NBA games a few times a year and it was awesome. The atmosphere is really great and you meet some interesting people. I would really hate to see the NBA come crashing down just because people want a little more money but that's life. Greed is the root of all evil and everyone wants more and more. Do I feel bad for any of the players/owners? Hell no, but I still would like to watch my sports. It's a stress release from the burdens of school and its good ol' fashion competition. I guess that's something no one enjoys anymore.

I agree with you, sports are great especially attending the events. So long as the person views it as entertainment and not apart of life, they would be fine.
The main issue here is the owners are asking the players to take a pay cut up to 20%. I don't care how much money someone makes, you're not going to be very interested in working for your employer going forward.

On another note:
What if some of your bosses said "Hey, we need to generate profit so your salary will be cut from 50K to 40K, or from 100K to 80K." Would you still be a happy worker?
The owners offered the contracts now they want to retract them. The owners are cry babies here, not the players.

College basketball players are exploited. Many of them can't even afford the uniforms on their backs, while white-haired businessmen make billions from them.
I choose not to watch a lot of college sports until they start paying the players or setup a post college fund.

There's no such thing as real sports anymore, it's all entertainment.

I agree with you, sports are great especially attending the events. So long as the person views it as entertainment and not apart of life, they would be fine.
The main issue here is the owners are asking the players to take a pay cut up to 20%. I don't care how much money someone makes, you're not going to be very interested in working for your employer going forward.

On another note:
What if some of your bosses said "Hey, we need to generate profit so your salary will be cut from 50K to 40K, or from 100K to 80K." Would you still be a happy worker?
The owners offered the contracts now they want to retract them. The owners are cry babies here, not the players.

I wouldn't be happy, but I would accept it. Just ask the former paper mill workers in Maine. They (and their unions) kept refusing to accept pay cuts. The mills just went bankrupt, and now those workers are on unemployment.

I'd rather have a job and receive less pay, then drain my employer of their last dime and then file for unemployment.

Knock them down to the avg american salary. They don't need $6 million to put a ball in a basket over and over again.

On another note:

College basketball players are exploited. Many of them can't even afford the uniforms on their backs, while white-haired businessmen make billions from them.
I choose not to watch a lot of college sports until they start paying the players or setup a post college fund.

There's no such thing as real sports anymore, it's all entertainment.

Sounds like you're on the players side. That's funny tha a couple of posts up you say posts are off the cuff and lack knowledge.

Read the othe NBA thread. I know a guy who owns a semi pro basketball team and used to be a NFL player agent.

He filled me in a couple of days ago and guess what? Players salaries, and the fact that they get paid no matter what are a huge problem. Couple of other huge problems, but that is one of them.

But keep saying everyone here lacks knowledge. I'm sure you own a team and know the insiders scoop.....

I always viewed the NBA as the convict sport. This lockout doesn't pain me in the least

do you feel this way because the overwhelming majority of the people in the NBA are people of color?

The NBA is racist organization that discriminates against whites, asians, jews, native American, and Hispanics. They need affirmative action.

Sounds like you're on the players side. That's funny tha a couple of posts up you say posts are off the cuff and lack knowledge.

Read the othe NBA thread. I know a guy who owns a semi pro basketball team and used to be a NFL player agent.

He filled me in a couple of days ago and guess what? Players salaries, and the fact that they get paid no matter what are a huge problem. Couple of other huge problems, but that is one of them.

But keep saying everyone here lacks knowledge. I'm sure you own a team and know the insiders scoop.....

You're talking about guaranteed salaries, yes, the owners want to cut that too.
They want a NFL like system with non-guaranteed contracts and soft/hard caps.
That wasn't on the previous agreements and now they want it or else.

The owners are saying NBA isn't turning a profit because of the current system.
I'm saying they were the ones who offered the contracts to the players, so deal with it.
A 10% pay cut is workable, but so long as they keep asking for a 20% cut and a hard cap, next season will be canceled.

The NBA is racist organization that discriminates against whites, asians, jews, native American, and Hispanics. They need affirmative action.

Just like any other workplace, it's about competition. Even with AA, the best five players will be on the court.

I'm not particularly versed on the "insider's" perspective, per se, however I tend to look at all of these situations (NFL, NBA) etc. as I would look at any other business.

If my local grocery store stopped making money on grapes, they wouldn't buy, ship and stock them on their shelves anymore.

If the grape distributor had a compelling need to move grapes, they'd have to accept less profit, move fewer units, or go outta business. It's really simple math.

Now in the NBA, they have a declining user base, reduced margins and no viable alternative revenue stream since all the Broadcasting, Advertising and Endorsements have become commodity based and there's little margin left in those lines of business.

So, in order to re-invest in the "business" e.g. "the association", then something has to give.

In my opinion, the business, or the owners, assume all the risk. Thus, they should be able to ask their employees "the players" to help them out of a bind, in the interest of mutual success. If the players want to continue to make millions of dollars, and never re-invest in the business, then that is a fundamental problem and it has to change.

Just look at people like Brian Cardinal. That fool is not a "bawler", not an MVP or even an All-Star. yet he has raked in close to $40MM dollars in salary in his career, just being in the right place, at the right time.

Besides being a Purdue booster, what do you think he did for Memphis or Dallas, besides play a few quality minutes and take a few charges ?

do you feel this way because the overwhelming majority of the people in the NBA are people of color?

Not at all, maybe i should have explained that more :)

I feel that way because NBA players as a whole are more concerned about their gangster appearance than any other sport. Name another sport and you will find the players have more respect for themselves and their communities in general.

american sports needs to just die already.
overpaid crybabies, no real competition, watered down entertainment that fuels aggression amongst the public and is just another separator of people.

Vancouver-Rioting1-400x201.jpg

2011-vancouver-riot-stanley-cup-finals.jpg

Vancouver-Riot-2011.jpg

427040-barcelona-fans.jpg

acmilan_wideweb__430x275.jpg

I prefer basketball and football fans than soccer and hockey.

hmm sure as hell sounds like a color thing. But you can keep telling yourself it isn't...

You don't get out much do you? Gangs consist of every nationality, also, the Mob is pretty much a classy version of a gang, and what nationality are most mobsters?

You don't get out much do you? Gangs consist of every nationality, also, the Mob is pretty much a classy version of a gang, and what nationality are most mobsters?

Track suits are classy.

hmm sure as hell sounds like a color thing. But you can keep telling yourself it isn't...

He might be pussy footing around but I won't. Of course it's a color thing. You gonna sit here and try to argue against stats and facts that prove it?

Don't forget the biggest, meanest, most powerful gang, the police.

As in Football, I'm with the owners on this. The owners own the team along with all it's responsibilities. They had to come up with the money, they have to run it. The players just continue to want more and more and more and more and more and more and more, well you get the picture. When you say enough is enough. The players act like they own the teams and are graciously renting to the owners. It's all about ego and agents.

He might be pussy footing around but I won't. Of course it's a color thing. You gonna sit here and try to argue against stats and facts that prove it?

Good Gosh, has no one on this board ever heard the Aryan Brotherhood. I mean, they are only one of the most notable gangs in history,

lol whats with all the bitterness to athletes? were yall the last one picked for sports during grade school or bullied by the star athlete in high school? If you hate the NBA or sports so much then why even bother posting about it? I cant stand baseball or golf but I'm sure not going to troll discussions trying to preach how much that sport sucks and needs to go away.
First of all this lockout is being pushed by the owners who are taking an unbending "take it or leave it stance" to significantly reduce player pay, and not athletes trying to get more money. In fact the players union even conceded to some form of salary reduction.
Yes some players are overpaid but the owners dont have to pay so much if they dont want to. They could only hire players that will sign cheaper contracts but the fact that they choose to pay so much more than the minimum for these players is an indication of how much they are worth. If all of the IT companies in the world got together and created a "salary cap" to avoid paying top end employees premium salaries I'm sure nearly everyone out here will be grabbing pitch forks.
Now dont get me wrong, the current system doesnt seem to be working fairly for the owners. They own the franchise and hold all the responsibility and risks yet in many cases their profits are not at a fair ratio against what the players are making, guaranteed.
Well I guess what I'm getting at is that this isnt some clear cut issue where one side is right and the other is wrong.

As in Football, I'm with the owners on this. The owners own the team along with all it's responsibilities. They had to come up with the money, they have to run it. The players just continue to want more and more and more and more and more and more and more, well you get the picture. When you say enough is enough. The players act like they own the teams and are graciously renting to the owners. It's all about ego and agents.

I wouldn't say I'm on the player's side (I'm on the fan's side, I think players and owners should ALL make less and games should be cheaper to attend in person), but players do assume very real personal health risks, both short and long term. How much is being able to enjoy the rest of your life worth? Not suffering chronic back pain or joint pain for the next 60 years of your life.

Back