Which LCD to choose (no IPS pls)

Which LCD to choose (excluding IPS) ?

• Total voters

vazmuten

n00b
Hello everyone!

I want to use the monitor for:
50% text work (Winword, Eclipse, Browsing)
30% HD Movies watch
10% Photo viewing/editing
10% Light games ( Star Craft 2 )

Please do not recommend IPS based monitors (because of the hard AG coating).

Last edited:
I'd wait for 27" Sammy PLS. 1080 is horrible for coding.

plz take out the HP LA2405wg from the list. its got horrible text, colors, viewing angles.
the ONLY good spec about it is power consumption. i dont even understand why its available for sale. possibly the worst monitor ever made.

Not recommended for text work. NOT recommended for movies. definitely not recommended for photo viewing. i think its 5 or 6ms but i wouldnt recommend it for gaming.

after about 3 months of owning it, a green line appeared. but after banging on it a few times it disappeared. i know it'll be back...

I dunno, I'm not having problems with my HP LA2405wg. I use it for surfing, emails, document work and gaming and it seems good to me. At work I've used this monitor for close to a year with no issues. The thing I love is that it's 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 and it's got a height adjustable stand, which is better then a lot of the monitors out there. Just MHO, but if I were you I'd see if you could see these in person before you make a determination.

I dunno, I'm not having problems with my HP LA2405wg. I use it for surfing, emails, document work and gaming and it seems good to me. At work I've used this monitor for close to a year with no issues. The thing I love is that it's 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 and it's got a height adjustable stand, which is better then a lot of the monitors out there. Just MHO, but if I were you I'd see if you could see these in person before you make a determination.

i actually think hp should be sued for producing such a poor quality product in 2010. the only thing good about it is the power consumption.

its a very cheaply made monitor that could harm the user's sight in the long run.

LA2405wg is to the right.

Last edited:
i actually think hp should be sued for producing such a poor quality product in 2010. the only thing good about it is the power consumption.

its a very cheaply made monitor that could harm the user's sight in the long run.

MVI_0227.mp4 video by photdood - Photobucket
LA2405wg is to the right.

Well, if I had one that was as bad as the one you have, I'd be unhappy and trash it as well. My experience is a bit different though, as I have one at work and one at home and they're both fine for me. Not perfect, but also not so bad that HP should be sued over them by any means. I've been using the one at work for about 9 months now and the one at home for only a month. Hopefully they'll both continue to be fine...

pls is pretty much the same as e-ips

i'd get a samsung 2333t
good picture quality, very low input lag, 75hz
the slow pixel response is no problem in sc2

I have a Samsung 2333T and it is a GREAT monitor. The 75hz only works at lower resolutions but that's no biggie. It not ideal for FPS's but it still does a great job. Also, this thing has the best blacks I have ever seen from a flat panel. I find it better than most large plasma screens. For SC2, you'll be find. I picked mine up for $130 shipped a couple of weeks ago from the egg. Color reproduction is pretty damn good as well.

You have your LA2405wg in portrait mode, if you turn it in the other direction (still in portrait), so the power button is to the top right hand side, you will find the viewing angle is better (given the right hand side position your using it in, as the filter is designed to give a better angle if viewed from above (upper to low position in landscape - since most people's heads are viewing slightly down)).
I use my LA2405wg as the centre monitor in a 3 portrait EyeFinity set-up, I find it gr8 for gaming in UT3 - but the viewing angle is not quite as good as the Acer P235H's next to it (but they have a shiny AG coating).

Samsung 2333T (C-PVA panel) especially if you only do light gaming, It's also awesome for watching movies due to the much better than average contrast ratio & black levels.

You have your LA2405wg in portrait mode, if you turn it in the other direction (still in portrait), so the power button is to the top right hand side, you will find the viewing angle is better (given the right hand side position your using it in, as the filter is designed to give a better angle if viewed from above (upper to low position in landscape - since most people's heads are viewing slightly down)).
I use my LA2405wg as the centre monitor in a 3 portrait EyeFinity set-up, I find it gr8 for gaming in UT3 - but the viewing angle is not quite as good as the Acer P235H's next to it (but they have a shiny AG coating).

the monitor goes only rotates clockwise portrait power button being down. the text is not so bad its the 2nd best monitor i have as far as text. the viewing angle is unacceptable because when in the middle, the colors to the corners of the monitor are off. which really doesnt make sense why its a 24" 1200p monitor...

its not so bad as a second or 3rd monitor. i personally wouldn't recommend a monitor under $300 as a primary monitor.

the monitor goes only rotates clockwise portrait power button being down. the text is not so bad its the 2nd best monitor i have as far as text. the viewing angle is unacceptable because when in the middle, the colors to the corners of the monitor are off. which really doesnt make sense why its a 24" 1200p monitor...

its not so bad as a second or 3rd monitor. i personally wouldn't recommend a monitor under $300 as a primary monitor.

What would you recommend for a primary monitor ( a few options, pls) ?

Your right, I've just checked the original HP stand (I'm using 3 Neo-Flex stands which give a better high adjustment).
However, I've checked the HP stand and it looks like you can remove the 4 centre screws (you'll need to remove the monitor from the stand first - 2 screws and lift off) rotate the metal plate 90degrees and reattach. That should allow you to turn it the other way around.

Last edited:
What would you recommend for a primary monitor ( a few options, pls) ?

my advise is just dont cheap out on your primary monitor. do research. play close attention to the negative reviews.
take your time. save.
go with whats important to you. for me it was 1200p and sharp text.

Samsung PLS will join the quality of IPS panel whit the semi glare coating of VA panels :eek:

Benq EW2430V. Like most other monitors, just make sure (if you can) you buy from some place you can send it back should you get one with issues.
I doubt the Samsung PLS panel will be capable of good contrast ratios like the *VA panels. You can wait if you can, otherwise *VA panel for sure.

Back