X9SCM-F VGA Pass-through or Quadro Pass-through?

fatality88

n00bie
Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster. :D

Am soon to take delivery of a Supermicro X9SCM-F mobo. Know there is a few people with this board in the forums so would pose the question here...

Is it possible to pass-through the on-board VGA to a VM?

If not, has anyone had any luck in passing though an nVidia Quadro card on this, or any other, motherboard?

Have successfully passed through a HD5450 on another motherboard but due to the X9SCM-F only having x8 and x4 slots, I was looking to purchase a Quadro PCIe x1 card...

Any help/experience would be appreciated...

So you can direct the video output of a VM to a physical display.

Along with passing through a USB controller (to take care of the keyboard, mouse and USB sound card), you can have a VM running as a workstation.

This then gets pumped into a CAT-5 KVM extender with Audio so I have a PC downstairs without a physical box (as such).

No idea, sorry. Why do you want to do this?

Hmmm; well, I'm about to build a highly virtualized workstation with this motherboard (if my research indicates it's a good choice), tentatively including a PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX1-PB Quadro NVS 290 PCIe x1 graphics adapter, and I'd like the option of isolating the X server to a VM to make the hypervisor all the smaller.

That would also make the hypervisor configuration more resemble that of a server's.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but it might be worth checking out RemoteFX.

Not sure if this is possible or not, but it might be worth checking out RemoteFX.

Are you referring to my post or hga's?
If you are referring to mine, then it is possible (video pass-through and USB pass-though for keyboard/mouse/sound card) - I have it set up at the moment with ESXi and it works great! Would just like to know if anyone has had any experience with the X9SCM-F onboard VGA or a Quadro video card...

I was indeed referring to your post.

Good to know that this is possible. Sorry, must have mis-read your post :D

VGA pass-through is the next big bang in virtualisation (= Desktop virtualsation)
Currently it's more in the state of proof of concept.
Maybee an option in one or two years.

more
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough

Currently hardware pass-through is good for some Nics and Storage controller
and some other pci-e cards and a must to have if you want to virtualize a NAS/SAN server
so its currently a server technology not a desktop technology

Gea

Hmmm; well, I'm about to build a highly virtualized workstation with this motherboard (if my research indicates it's a good choice), tentatively including a PNY VCQ290NVS-PCIEX1-PB Quadro NVS 290 PCIe x1 graphics adapter, and I'd like the option of isolating the X server to a VM to make the hypervisor all the smaller.

That would also make the hypervisor configuration more resemble that of a server's.

Probably just should give it a try and see?

...If not, has anyone had any luck in passing though an nVidia Quadro card on this, or any other, motherboard?...

Ran into this old thread, but since no-one answered this question, I thought a reply might be helpful anyway.

The Nvidia Quadro 2000 can be successfully passed through under Xen. Other Nvidia cards that have been tested are Quadro FX 3800, 4800 and 5800.

I believe all Nvidia cards that are termed "Multi-OS" should work (they do work with Parallels Workstation Extreme, according to Nvidia). See here http://www.nvidia.com/object/sli_multi_os.html. The cards listed by Nvidia are: Quadro 6000, 5000, 4000, 2000, FX 5800, FX 4800, and FX 3800.

The Quadro 600 and Quadro 410 do not support VGA passthrough (I tested the 600).

Back