More RIM Employees Speak Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like that stupid statement RIM made yesterday only encouraged more employees to complain. Good job on that one. :rolleyes:

The second writer today had many of the same complaints as yesterday's author: RIM's poor leadership, low morale, too many projects, and an overabundance of red tape. The author stressed that RIM had many talented people working there, but they are hamstrung by bureaucratic processes. "It can take weeks of time to make small changes, and months to make major ones. "

Bureaucracy is what prevents this world from being a better place, one red tape obstacle at a time.

After reading the two new anonymous letters... I'm certain that the administrative assistant revealed way too many details about his/her position such that there was no point to post it anonymously. Anyways, most of that rant was about office politics that occur in most offices in North America, let alone unique to RIM. Meh.

Also, unless she/he was the administrative assistant for one of the high level executives, he/she'd not be privy to any first hand information of consequence. Heck, I'm a relatively senior engineer where I work, and I still don't get to see how product decisions are really made... all that is at the Director level or higher. All the engineers can do is the make the best pile of poo that we can for our poor sales team to sell out of poor management decisions because the executives don't act on any of our feedback.

Its funny that even thou they are getting their ass whopped in sales I know several people that would never give up their blackberries.

I know several that bought android phones only to go straight back and get a new BB. They should have continued on that success and user base, but I just don't see them moving forward.

Just this week I had the displeasure of having hands on time (for work) with the newest flagship blackberry phone... The OS is a joke. It acts like windows 6.5 (worst software ever written), looks 6 years old, and feels like a $20 pre-paid unit.

Their entire line-up of products is at least 2 years behind their competition. If they do not pull a complete u-turn in the next 6 months they are in serious trouble...

If I were in their shoes I would first listen to these letters, then partner with Intel to become the first major phone and tablet manufacturer that uses the new mobile chips being worked on. That and I'd ditch the crappy OS and adopt android or windows phone 7 (android is being ported to x86 by intel). This would be a move that could put them out front again. If they don't do something fast they are doomed.

RIM's problem was that they built their business model around MS playing nice with them. ActiveSync was a direct attack on the BES business model. Since MS has made BES meaningless within 6 months years ago. RIM needs to take a hard look at what their development can accomplish. If they are not numerous enough, or strong enough then RIM needs to look at pulling and off the shelf solution that they can customize. If they do have the development know how then they need to focus on their core competency which isn't the freakin Playbook.... it's phones.

I don't have much to add other than I quit my job there this week. Those four descriptors in the quotation fit RIM perfectly, but I'm certain that's how most people would describe their workplace.

Back