Most Hated Companies In America

HardOCP News

[H] News
Business Insider has posted a list of the 19 Most Hated Companies In America. It's a decent list but I have a feeling they are missing a few companies.

Customers hate Bank of America. This feeling -- generated by excessive fees, impenetrable call centers and foreclosure horror stories -- is reflected in the American Customer Satisfaction Index. And customers love UPS.

Initially read this as "most naked companies in America," was very confused...

lol at the airlines in the top 10.

I don't have experience with all those companies, but I can definitely say I've dealt personally or had a close family member/friend deal with many of the companies on that list. Totally agree with Bank of America, Chase, AT&T, Delta... and yeah I knew Comcast would be top 5.

Hmm, Bank of America you spoiled, but I'd have guessed that anyway. I say Comcast is another surely on the list (haven't read it all yet). AT&T - no question. (Sony says PSP Vita will be on AT&T and got nothing but boos for it). Generally just the companies that you absolutely require and don't have competition that forces them to be better or customer service oriented - the 'we decide if you live' healthcare field, the 'we're your gas, electric, water monopoly', the 'if you need to get there fast you can only go through us airlines', etc.

Okay, I get telecoms, I get banks, I get airlines, I get utiliies...

but Facebook? How can something be so optional, so widely-used, and so widely-hated at the same time? This is hilariously ironic. No one is forcing people who are dissatisfied with FB to use it, which is often the case with telecom and utility companies.

Been with BoA for years. Free checking, no minimum account balance, can't overdraw my account unless I approve the transaction first, no overdraft fees when the account is less than $30 in the hole. Wells Fargo on the other hand charged me $35 for being exactly .01 overdrawn once, as well as "accidentally" sent my entire bank balance to a construction company in Mexico that took over a month to get back, and then refused to reverse the fees incurred do to their error.

I think the business with Countrywide was a greedy, stupid move but other than that BoA has treated me well.

but Facebook? How can something be so optional, so widely-used, and so widely-hated at the same time? This is hilariously ironic. No one is forcing people who are dissatisfied with FB to use it, which is often the case with telecom and utility companies.

No kidding and MySpace????? The fact that it is dead, would be obvious enough that it is hated.

I have a facebook account, I look at it once a quarter or so.

I do kinda think its telling, that most on the top 10 list are pretty much monopolies (or as close as you can get).

I totally agree with you on this. How is it even a 'company'? It doesn't sell anything other than your personal information to advertisers.

Been with BoA for years. Free checking, no minimum account balance, can't overdraw my account unless I approve the transaction first, no overdraft fees when the account is less than $30 in the hole. Wells Fargo on the other hand charged me $35 for being exactly .01 overdrawn once, as well as "accidentally" sent my entire bank balance to a construction company in Mexico that took over a month to get back, and then refused to reverse the fees incurred do to their error.

I think the business with Countrywide was a greedy, stupid move but other than that BoA has treated me well.

Yeah with WF, if you have problems, they generally will expand to include customer service almost every time.

When I was younger (living check to check), they deducted (and bounced) 3-4 checks on the same day, their logs showed a deposit at the end of the day. Their policy was to bounce checks from highest to lowest in order and then to record deposits at the end of the day (after they payed out checks).

I had to fight with them for 2 hours about removing a few of the $30 bounce fees (for 2-3 that were <$20).

The key was to go at 4:45pm... so they would want to go home and just resolve it so they could, cause I let them know I was willing to stay all night:)

FYI my deposit covered all my checks... yes I knew it was close but rent was due and I thought I planned it out just perfect:rolleyes:

I may be wrong,so many of these companies we love to hate are under the regulations of the FCC, and who ever regulates the banks. I see the government isn't doing shit all for the consumers.:confused:

How about the $8.5 billion they owe the American public? Fraud of America FTL!

hahaha Pepco sucks!!! Glad I live in VA!

Got that right! I gotta admit Dominion Power has been pretty good to me over the last decade. I can count on one hand the number of outtages I've had and they haven't screwed up my billing yet.

Honestly the list didn't surprise me. I fully expected Fraud of America, multiple airlines, and multiple utilities to be on there. I actually expected Facebook as well because of all the bad press (and rightfully so) they get when they introduced privacy invading shit like facial recognition and have it on by default.

When my wife and I bought our house we moved to Verizon FIOS and dropped Cox Communications. Cox fought me tooth and nail to cancel their worthless shit. Aside from trying to convince me I was getting screwed on the Verizon pricing, the d-bag on the phone actually tried to convince me the 25mbps/25mbps FIOS pipe I now have was slower then the 15mbps/2.5mbps pipe Cox was giving me. I eventually told him to fuck off, hung up, called back, got a different person, and told them to cancel because I was moving out of state.

I may be wrong,so many of these companies we love to hate are under the regulations of the FCC, and who ever regulates the banks. I see the government isn't doing shit all for the consumers.:confused:

And the FAA!

where's Best Buy?

I've had decent luck with BB. A few things to remember when shopping there:

1. Never buy a cable at Best Buy
2. Never purchase an extended warranty from Best Buy
3. Never buy anything too expensive from Best Buy
4. Never fall for there special services (such as Black Tie, etc)
5. Assume that the people working there are victimized nearly as much as the people that shop there

:p

Apple tops most computer satisfaction surveys as well as smartphone surveys. Try again.

But I hate Apple so the list is irrelevant. :D

Seriously though I pretty much agree with that list with the exception that I think Comcast is actually trying to improve. I definitely agree with Bank of America. Worst company ever.

How is it that AT&T only made number 14?!?

They've put such effort into being number 1 this year!

The reason Sony isn't up there? Because there is a strong hatred of Sony on this board. Laughable. There are many worse companies.. Try again though!

The companies I see there is pretty hilarious and true.

Perhaps that's because the government is essentially a wholly owned subsidiary of these mega corporations?

Every experience I have ever had with unions and union labor has been horrific, BUT somehow UPS is a perfect exception to this rule. I can back up that these guys, at least in my area, are very highly motivated workers that really seem to care about professionalism in the workplace.

I don't know if they have the same member intimidation problems and the like of other unions, but on the outside at least they are great and could teach the UAW a thing or two.

My most hated company still has to be Apple. There are a plethora of companies with overrated and overpriced products, but outside the clothing industry, none have seemed to garner the type of religious following and douchebaggery as Jobs has managed to pull off with the brand. Its like the Abercrombie and Fitch of computing, and that irks me to no end. :mad: :p

5. Assume that the people working there are victimized nearly as much as the people that shop there

You forgot 6. Don't go to Best Buy

My experience has been quite satisfactory when I don't go there. ;)

Not surprising, there ALL service companies.

They don't make anything that dissapoints, they just
tick people off, interesting.

Chase, AT&T, Time Warner, and Cincinnati Bell are the companies I hate the most off the top of my head...in that order. Chase bank can kiss my white ***, shady pricks...

They should put this list on the front door to every Best Buy.....

No AOL? Shocking. How quickly people forget....

AOL still exists? :p

Anyway I've heard about all the problems people have with BoA. I have never really had problems with them, and the times I did I was able to fix it without too much drama. I never overdraft my account and I rarely mess around with anything, I just have an account to hold my money, that's it.

I purchased an extended warranty from Best Buy back in 2004 when I bought a standalone Phillips DVD burner from them. It broke 2 years later, near the end of the warranty period, but I was able to replace it with a Sony VHS/DVD-R combo recorder (that still works to this day) without any hassles because of that extended warranty.

On another occasion, I got for Christmas 2 copies of one Wii game. One was purchased from Best Buy, but the relative who bought it had removed the price sticker from its shrink wrap. I stood in line at a local Best Buy's customer service department a few days later only to be told, after waiting in line for a half hour, that I could not return the game because I had neither a receipt nor a Best Buy price tag on the game. I made a purchase at the store anyway, and when I filled in the web survey from its receipt, I mentioned the inconvenience I experienced on that occasion. The following day I received an e-mail from a local Best Buy manager who apologized for that and offered to make an exception to that return policy in my case. Upon my next visit did I return the game and get its full price in store credit.

My point is that Best Buy has been pretty decent to me overall. It's not without its shortcomings, including making Reward Zone customers print out their own credit certificates instead of mailing them out because of some "go green" liberal bullshit, and I've heard about the overpriced cables (fortunately I've never had to purchase one from Best Buy), but my experiences with Best Buy over the last 21 years have been for the most part quite positive. Other posters' horror stories with the company are quite foreign, and I consider myself fortunate for not relating to them firsthand.

IOn another occasion, I got for Christmas 2 copies of one Wii game. One was purchased from Best Buy, but the relative who bought it had removed the price sticker from its shrink wrap. I stood in line at a local Best Buy's customer service department a few days later only to be told, after waiting in line for a half hour, that I could not return the game because I had neither a receipt nor a Best Buy price tag on the game. I made a purchase at the store anyway, and when I filled in the web survey from its receipt, I mentioned the inconvenience I experienced on that occasion. The following day I received an e-mail from a local Best Buy manager who apologized for that and offered to make an exception to that return policy in my case. Upon my next visit did I return the game and get its full price in store credit.

I've had great luck (since I'm sure that's all it is) returning games without receipts to Best Buy (and Fred Meyer). I've exchanged games that were purchased online (Newegg, Amazon, etc) and damaged in transit (scratched disks that won't install to the Xbox or Playstation, I always try to install first to verify the whole disk can be read).

Every experience I have ever had with unions and union labor has been horrific, BUT somehow UPS is a perfect exception to this rule. I can back up that these guys, at least in my area, are very highly motivated workers that really seem to care about professionalism in the workplace.

I don't know if they have the same member intimidation problems and the like of other unions, but on the outside at least they are great and could teach the UAW a thing or two.

Wait till you meet a few of the part-time and full-time hub workers, there are some very odd ones, and, on average, they are far less motivated. BUT they are hidden away inside. ;)

Back