Plastic Gun Roleplay Leads to Call for Video Game Ban

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you stop a pack of adult nerds from dressing up in camouflage clothes and video taping themselves roleplaying with plastic guns? Duh, you call for a ban violent video games. :confused:

Donned in camo fatigues and bulletproof vests, four masked men were on a villa rooftop near a government building in Abu Dhabi. Special forces arrived and arrested the four men. The men were carrying fake guns as well as plastic and metal clubs. They were videotaping themselves roleplaying.

Where did these idiots come from who make these laws. Before TV and computers took off, we did a lot of role playing, like a fight between cowboys and indians, cops and robbers. Most of us didn't turn into homicidal maniacs. These law makers need to get a life. Some one said to me once if you want to have real fun, let the kids show you .:)

Where did these idiots come from who make these laws. Before TV and computers took off, we did a lot of role playing, like a fight between cowboys and indians, cops and robbers. Most of us didn't turn into homicidal maniacs. These law makers need to get a life. Some one said to me once if you want to have real fun, let the kids show you .:)

Yes, because ignoring ADULTS dressed in camos and carrying what appears to be guns (from a distance) is a wise thing for the police to do.

They live in Abu Dhabi, would you expect any different coming from a Middle Eastern government?

I think the internet just makes it easier for "bloggers" and "journalists" to sensationalise one moron's quote to ban video games.

Obviously nobody agrees with this guy. But his page is getting hits. And everyone is reading that absurd headline.

Yes, because ignoring ADULTS dressed in camos and carrying what appears to be guns (from a distance) is a wise thing for the police to do.

My comment was about the topic."Plastic Gun Roleplay Leads to Call for Video Game Ban"

And that's different than going to Southern US where people carry real guns?

I'm from Texas, and when I'm in Texas I can carry a concealed handgun. I have my concealed handgun license there, and I do carry it to places that allow it. You never know when the crazies will come out of the woodwork, or the aliens are going to attack, man.

Somebody in the UAE has to try this:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE-ZmwATS8E"]YouTube - ‪Cardboard Warfare‬‏[/ame]

But SOME of them did, and we've become such a risk averse society that we need to eliminate any possibility of violence. Unless of course it's called for by politicians, in which case the day those kids we were trying to protect from violence turn 18, they can be sent overseas to see their real life friends blown into little gooey chunks by an IED.

I wonder what might have occurred if this incident took place within several blocks of the capitol in DC?

You also didn't turn into an adult who wore camo and bulletproof vests and gathered with buddies on rooftops with fake weapons to act like soldiers.

We didn't play cowboys and Indians on the roof of government buildings though.

I was at Origins Game Fair last week and Saturday night the DNC and Joe Biden were in town at the same convention center.

Absolutely HILARIOUS culture clash.

*Gamer* Hey! That's a LOT of Vampire LARPers! Waitasec! Their clothes are too nice!

The Secret Service had showed up, found out what was going on, and immediately called for two more trucks of mooks to cover all the exits and reinforce the agents there.

Our Shadowrun LARP GMs were (jokingly) considering bribing their players to try and pull a "run" on the DNC. Fortunately they didn't want their players getting shot and them going to Gitmo for conspiracy against the Veep.

But the looks of some of those politicians as catgirls, steampunk "ladies", and leather bondage babes strolled by was PRICELESS.

When we were in 5th grade, we did a "project". We had to do it for D.A.R.E.. In part, we used toy guns, fake bags of drugs as well as fake blood and filmed a drug deal gone bad.

These problems arent created because of video games. In 5th grade they are teaching you about drugs and weapons, albeit in an attempt to stop the use and violence its still taught and brought to kids attention. That right there is more of a problem than video games :/

It's lamentable these days when people can't carry out their fantasies without some motherfucking clowns getting involved.

If they want to blame and ban video games, they might as well ban people from doing stupid things like this while they're at it....

I'm from Texas, and when I'm in Texas I can carry a concealed handgun. I have my concealed handgun license there, and I do carry it to places that allow it. You never know when the crazies will come out of the woodwork, or the aliens are going to attack, man.
Ditto, I daily carry a Kahr PM9 9mm, however, adults shouldn't be running around in camo appearing to be waving weapons around. They need to go to private property for airsoft competitions and the like, otherwise it becomes a public disturbance.

So while I'm a bigtime gun advocate, and believe that all law abiding capable citizens should carry, since it helps turn the tide against criminals and empowers the people, I'm actually against public carry or any displays of having a weapon since that intrudes unnecessary intimidation.

Obviously video games are no more responsible for glorifying gun violence than just about every action movie ever made anywhere, and hell any damn American history book.

I was at Origins Game Fair last week and Saturday night the DNC and Joe Biden were in town at the same convention center.

Absolutely HILARIOUS culture clash.

*Gamer* Hey! That's a LOT of Vampire LARPers! Waitasec! Their clothes are too nice!

The Secret Service had showed up, found out what was going on, and immediately called for two more trucks of mooks to cover all the exits and reinforce the agents there.

Our Shadowrun LARP GMs were (jokingly) considering bribing their players to try and pull a "run" on the DNC. Fortunately they didn't want their players getting shot and them going to Gitmo for conspiracy against the Veep.

But the looks of some of those politicians as catgirls, steampunk "ladies", and leather bondage babes strolled by was PRICELESS.

Damnit! I forgot all about Origins! :mad:

I went the year Tom Clancy was a speaker, his reaction to Vampire Larpers was hilarous!

The first year my wife and I were married, we went to Origins, they had Imperial Stormtroopers checking badges at the vendor hall entrance. She decided she wanted to be a stormtrooper, I told her she was to short. (she's about 5' 4") she declares "Oh yeah!?" and points over my shoulder where a little blond lady stormtrooper was taking a smoke break on the sidewalk outside, all 5' 2" of her... I am just glad they didn't have any recruiting NCO's around that day! :)

Ditto, I daily carry a Kahr PM9 9mm, however, adults shouldn't be running around in camo appearing to be waving weapons around. They need to go to private property for airsoft competitions and the like, otherwise it becomes a public disturbance.

So while I'm a bigtime gun advocate, and believe that all law abiding capable citizens should carry, since it helps turn the tide against criminals and empowers the people, I'm actually against public carry or any displays of having a weapon since that intrudes unnecessary intimidation.

Obviously video games are no more responsible for glorifying gun violence than just about every action movie ever made anywhere, and hell any damn American history book.

Theres no such thing as an Airsoft competition that takes place on public property. Anyone who does that is not playing Airsoft, they're playing "lets see who can get killed by a police officer first". People that actually play Airsoft hate these people with a passion.

Where I live (Maine), its not uncommon to see people driving or walking around with rifles or shotguns, even in the urban areas. There is no law against carrying non-concealable weapons in public (you need a permit to carry a concealed handgun), as long as you aren't running around pointing them at people. Kids used to walk into my local highschool with rifles and shotguns during hunting season. They would be required to store them in their homeroom, but they walked inside with them in the morning. This fear of firearms that American's seem to have now is worrying. Just because you see someone with a gun, doesn't mean they intend to shoot you.

If they were filming a video, they should notify the local authorities so stuff like this doesn't happen. When we have Airsoft games on the land provided to us by the University, we notify Campus PD, The town PD, and the local State Trooper barracks (its about 3 miles from the field) just in case someone drives by while we're unloading.

Kimber Ultra carry 2 with CTC laser grips here...:D

Responsible gun ownship and usage takes a certain amount of common sense... this also applies to anything even remotely appearing to be a weapon. Airsoft or paintmarker or "Killer" Larp.

The case of a teen in Kalifornia getting shot by police in a park for failure to drop his airsoft gun, is a case in point. the ROK is now trying to pass a law that any "toy" that resembles a weapon must be in a non weapon color. blue, red, clear, etc.

Did I ever tell you guys that I can't wait to kick the bucket? All of these shit stupid laws and politicians NEED TO GO!

I wonder what might have occurred if this incident took place within several blocks of the capitol in DC?

The police here shoot first...then figure out if they killed someone by accident.

The police don't make the laws, they enforce what their government tells them to?

I can tell by your naivity that you haven't had many run-ins with police officers.

Back