Man Threatens Suicide After Cable Is Cut Off

HardOCP News

[H] News
To be honest, I think it is a bad idea to threaten to kill yourself over your cable being cut off. I know living without your cable modem, premium channels and HBO is hard but it's nothing to kill yourself over. :eek:

Police received a call at 10:44 p.m. on Friday from 22300 block of Butterfield from a caller from Cox cable who said he has a man on the line saying that if they don't turn his cable back on, he's going to kill himself.

Then they should let him kill himself. Saying you are going to kill yourself is a threat to no one but yourself. Only when you do something and someone other than you is a victim of physical harm should there be penalties. The world would be a better place if all the people who want to commit suicide for stupid reasons would just do so. Taxes end up footing the bill for them.

Ok, I understand now.

It was Cox customer support. I can understand the guys feelings now !

without reading the article, did he do it? :D

I am going to guess that he didn't. I didn't read it either but the headline probably would have read, "Man commits suicide after cable is cut off" if he did commit suicide.

Baker Act in 3.2.1...

You're fine with your tax dollars paying for morons/sick people being locked up who simply don't want to live? We have the right to live, but evidently to not die. Makes no sense. People who are dyING and in pain should also be allowed to die.

Used to have Cox here. I can understand the sentiment of wanting to end your life after talking to their tech support.

I wouldn't kill myself, but i'd loose my job as broadband is now a higher requirement for my position.

And i'd be really fucking depressed as well with no internet connection...

You're fine with your tax dollars paying for morons/sick people being locked up who simply don't want to live? We have the right to live, but evidently to not die. Makes no sense. People who are dyING and in pain should also be allowed to die.

No I am not fine w/ paying for his funny farm locked up, I saying he will be Baker Acted for either 3 days or 3 months for making the threat of offing himself.

You have to wonder about somebody who would make a threat like that. Either the Cox representative is going to think you're joking and ignore you, or he's going to think you're serious (like in this article) and cops will show up at your door. It isn't like Cox would ever say 'Well, we value your life so we're going to give you free service from now on so you won't do that.'

I think its funny that I read the headline and my first thought was "Must be a World of Warcraft player"

No I am not fine w/ paying for his funny farm locked up, I saying he will be Baker Acted for either 3 days or 3 months for making the threat of offing himself.
Are the rules different for people who actually attempt suicide? A friend of mine tried killing himself once. After he got out of the hospital he was supposed to go to a mental health facility for further observation, treatment or whatever. Only they discovered on the first day that the person with the three dozen fresh stitches on both wrists didn't have insurance and was magically deemed not a further threat to himself. He finally did kill himself a few years later.

I think if he could have afforded proper mental health treatment or got "free" mandated care he might not have done what he did, but I could be wrong.

Nothing new, when I worked for Comcast I had several people say they were going to kill themselves because they had no internet. I also had an unusually large amount of people claim they would be late on their doctoral thesis.

People used to pull that on me when I worked customer service for BofA.

The national suicide hotline number is in the bank phone book.

Give me my fees back or I am going to kill myself and its all your fault.

The first couple of times you'd say something to a manager and you'd get a "So what? You expect me to care?" Attitude so the message got across pretty fast just to blow off people who say that.

Zarathustra[H];1037425029 said:
I think its funny that I read the headline and my first thought was "Must be a World of Warcraft player"

Heh, my first thought was similar; I thought the kid banned from WOW who shoved a remote up his ass must be all growed up.

Then they should let him kill himself. Saying you are going to kill yourself is a threat to no one but yourself. Only when you do something and someone other than you is a victim of physical harm should there be penalties. The world would be a better place if all the people who want to commit suicide for stupid reasons would just do so. Taxes end up footing the bill for them.

+1 on that!

So stupid to say those kind of things

Although I agree with the right to die part (if they truly want it), I think the Baker Act is in place for a reason. The sudden urge to kill yourself is not normal and can often be prevented in the event that they get necessary help. It just gives them the 72 (+) hour hold to reconsider their options as it is a permanent decision. If after the 72 (+) hours they decide they still want to kill themselves, by all means more power to them (in my opinion).

I'd say the act itself has done a lot more good than harm as it does give the "cooling off" period for the individual. Such as the guy who considers suicide because he just got dumped in a long relationship. Do you think in four days he really wants the same? Or is it the sudden result of a serious onslaught of depression.

On the flip side, it leaves a liability issue for not enacting it. My roommate/friend almost got Baker'd as he told his longtime GF who broke up with him over the phone that he was going to harm himself. He didn't answer her return call so she called Metro PD. The cops came and gave him an option (without coming out and telling him) either A) go with the EMT's voluntarily or B) go with them. Same place, different results. He went with the EMT's, got released in 5 hours (ER visit wait) and had a $2k+ hospital bill. The other option would get him in the psyche-ward for the mandatory period. In this particular case, the act screwed him over. Legally, the cops couldn't leave him (or face liability) once being called.

Just food for though. I do understand the survival-of-the-fittest / population control idea of not having it though. ;)

You can't be serious. Someone really did that? lol!

And he recorded it .. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc"]YouTube - ‪Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO)‬‏[/ame]

I'm still waiting for the Tosh.0 redemption on this. They should try and get him to do one of those novelty over sized remotes! Or a tablet running G-Mote.

NSFW Warning!

Err, I guess if you post a link to YouTube it auto embeds it. That might not be safe for work. Sorry bout that.

It just brainwashes a person into thinking their life is actually good and worth living. Some people don't want a reason to live and don't want to live. Other people's opinions being used on whether someone is mentally healthy or not is pure crap. The way you think can now threaten your way of life.

And he recorded it .. YouTube - ‪Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO)‬‏

I'm still waiting for the Tosh.0 redemption on this. They should try and get him to do one of those novelty over sized remotes! Or a tablet running G-Mote.

It's been verified take on Tosh.0 and the redemption on it was done back in season 2 a long while ago. If your a Canadian or can acess this website from other countres(never tried)?, its available on www.thecomedynetwork.ca for free streaming.

I'm also disgusted by the side of consequences being that you may cause someone pain by your leaving this world. Who cares? I am quite sick of people blubbering over people dying. Everyone dies, that's life.

I think population should only be controlled by nature. I strongly believe that we shouldn't coddle the weak anymore. I hate forced eugenics, though, which is just the super rich wanting the world for themselves.

Even if that is fake that's the funniest shit I've seen and mostly true I know a few people that play WOW.

Can't believe it has 50 Millions views!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back