ESXi 4.1 Network not working in Server 2008 PE install/system backup

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I am trying to do a system recovery from a network share using Server 2008 system restore. It seems that the network adapter is not working or connecting to the Domain. I can't find anything about this on google. All i found was mention of using the e1000 adapater for the VM's but it did this by default so I have been using that one.

when I do an ipconfig /all it shows the adapter and DNS servers but no IP address except one from APIPA.

It keeps giving me an error about no process at the end of the pipe. And when it tried to access the share it is not in the same domain, it uses the machines hostname that was made up from the Server 2008 installation.

eo5sx.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have the network adapter assigned to the correct VM network in ESXi? Sounds like its not getting any DHCP action.

Do you have the network adapter assigned to the correct VM network in ESXi? Sounds like its not getting any DHCP action.

Yes, this is a VM that I have been using for a few weeks now. I am just setting up my backups.

It does the same thing with Windows 7 and every VM i have.

It is a driver problem of some kind with the Windows PE environment not using the correct driver.

If anyone could link me to the individual driver for the e1000 maybe that would work.

That guide creates this

lQivG.jpg

There must be an easier way to fix this it is a standard feature of using Windows Server 2008:confused:

In your earlier post you said it could see the adapter with ipconfig... that tells me a driver is in play... perhaps its not right, but its APIPA, meaning it didn't grab everything... but it did grab DNS???

I've not used this before, I assume its WinRE. Do you have netsh at the command line, does it let you specify an IP anywhere? netsh would let you assign an IP.

Something like this (shamelessly ripped via google): netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

I believe that last 1 on the line is also necessary :).

In your earlier post you said it could see the adapter with ipconfig... that tells me a driver is in play... perhaps its not right, but its APIPA, meaning it didn't grab everything... but it did grab DNS???

I've not used this before, I assume its WinRE. Do you have netsh at the command line, does it let you specify an IP anywhere? netsh would let you assign an IP.

Something like this (shamelessly ripped via google): netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1 1

I believe that last 1 on the line is also necessary :).

Thanks, I will look into this.

I got it working today. It was something to do with access permissions on the shared folder.

Back