PS3 Hacker Expects Jail Sentence

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like that other PS3 hacker guy, the one that didn't cut a deal with Sony, is facing jail because he doesn't have the funds to continue his legal fight. Too bad GeoHot didn't give this guy all that donated money so at least one of them could continue to fight.

Fellow hacker Alexander "graf_chokolo" Egorenkov, whose home was raided in February by police, has written on his blog that with his money having run out to fight Sony in court, he is "going to jail soon probably because [he] cannot pay court costs."

That sucks, hope Sony cuts him a deal without jail time. Hell having burned through his money on legal defense is punishment enough.

maybe he should ask him mom for a loan or better yet get out of her basement and get a j o b

Kind of sucks how the only way to defend yourself against a major corporation is to have deeper pockets. Unfortunately the little guy gets screwed.

Kind of sucks how the only way to defend yourself against a major corporation is to have deeper pockets. Unfortunately the little guy gets screwed.

kind of sucks that corporations have to put up with twats like this guy. hope he gets to know Bubba *real* well

kind of sucks that corporations have to put up with twats like this guy. hope he gets to know Bubba *real* well

Kind of sucks having to read uninformed garbage like this. Hope you learn what you are talking about before posting again.

back on topic.

Hopefully something happens quickly for this guy. What he did in no way was criminal and deserving of jail time.

Kind of sucks having to read uninformed garbage like this. Hope you learn what you are talking about before posting again.

back on topic.

Hopefully something happens quickly for this guy. What he did in no way was criminal and deserving of jail time.

QFT

FYI this isn't a lulzsec member people..... TWO different things

ownt. thats what you get for being a criminal.
boo fuckin hoo.

ownt. thats what you get for being a criminal.
boo fuckin hoo.

Except he isn't, Learn to read.

no i think they deserve to go to jail for circumventing EULAs

Except he didn't. He enabled a features that "ORIGINALLY" came as a legal and Advertised feature of the PS3. I should know, I have 2 of them complete with the original boxes and all documentation. What Sony did was the only thing that was illegal in removing a feature that we paid for under false pretenses. They claimed it was to stop piracy when in fact there was no possible way to pirates games or movies for that matter using linux. The only thing you could do was burn discs to the hdd which was pointless outside the "look what I did" factor. What you are in fact supporting with your stance is the ability for companies like sony to sell you a piece of hardware then change their EULA after you bought it to disallow you to use any feature they so choose. I find it unbelievable that any thinking individual cannot comprehend this.

No, you want him raped. You said it yourself.

i'm sorry you're incapable comprehending a joke. you must have a pretty difficult time in most normal informal human interactions.

also, no, i did not say anything about rape. what you imply is your own business.

i'm sorry you're incapable comprehending a joke. you must have a pretty difficult time in most normal informal human interactions.

also, no, i did not say anything about rape. what you imply is your own business.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

I can't believe I inferred such a thing from your post. What was I thinking????? You were just hoping he would have good friends in jail, since he is such a horrible criminal for working to allow a feature that came standard with release PS3's!

I hope everyone can have good friends, too!

Except he didn't. He enabled a features that "ORIGINALLY" came as a legal and Advertised feature of the PS3. I should know, I have 2 of them complete with the original boxes and all documentation. What Sony did was the only thing that was illegal in removing a feature that we paid for under false pretenses. They claimed it was to stop piracy when in fact there was no possible way to pirates games or movies for that matter using linux. The only thing you could do was burn discs to the hdd which was pointless outside the "look what I did" factor. What you are in fact supporting with your stance is the ability for companies like sony to sell you a piece of hardware then change their EULA after you bought it to disallow you to use any feature they so choose. I find it unbelievable that any thinking individual cannot comprehend this.

Gotta agree with you. I don't own a PS3, as I have hated Sony ever since I was stationed in Japan. However, it is bullshit that they (Sony) can advertise a feature (installing Linux) and then decide later that the feature isn't profitable and drop said feature. I still think it is kinda BS that they dropped the Emotion Engine out of the PS3...but that was a change in hardware, so people buying new hardware knew it was no longer fully backwards compatible.

Anyone defending Sony, let me ask you a question. First, how would you feel if it were ok for to buy something then have a feature taken away at a later date? Let's give an example. You buy a new Kenmore refrigerator, side-by-side doors for the fridge and a pull-out freezer on the bottom. You spent $2k on this fridge and it works perfect. Then the company (Kenmore) decides that the freezer is no longer a necessary component of the refrigerator, after all, you can go buy a stand-alone upright freezer for a few hundred bucks. So, Kenmore comes to your house (this simulates the firmware update process) and makes the cooling in the freezer match the fridge, so you no longer have a freezer without purchasing a stand-alone freezer. You gained more refrigerator space (now you have a cooling pull-out drawer) but nowhere to stored frozen food, no more ice cream, TV dinners, frozen meat, or ice for your drinks. Is this acceptable? This is essentially what Sony did. They could also say that HD video is costing their developers too much money and remove support for HDMI (stupid with the Blu Ray drive, but you get my point). Or they could say all their future games will have PS Move controls, so they are removing support for the dualshock 3 controllers. These are features of the console that consumers paid for, however I guess Sony can do whatever they want, because they built the system that you bought.

So you are choosing to interpret it differently. He's still a criminal. Breaking the EULA isnt why hes going to jail. Learn to look at the whole picture.

lol @ circumventing eula = deserving of jail time, and worst that he didn't.

So you are choosing to interpret it differently. He's still a criminal. Breaking the EULA isnt why hes going to jail. Learn to look at the whole picture.

He's going to jail for modifying software on a PS3 that HE OWNS. I thought that if I owned something, I can do whatever the hell I want with it. Wasn't it made law that jailbreaking ipods and iphones is legal? Why hasn't this extended to consoles? What he was doing in no way allows playing of pirated games, which is what Sony is basing their case on. Sony doesn't care whether or not what he does allows usage of pirated games, they just care that they stop PS3 hacking. Apparently they don't want Linux and custom firmwares on PS3, so they'll go to any lengths to stop it.

If you go out there, and ask a million people, 'If somebody sells you something bragging about how it does a certain thing, they later take away the ability for it to do it, and then somebody else comes along and tries to make the product start doing what it was advertised to be able to do. Should that act be illegal?' The majority will say no, that's crazy. The fact that it's illegal shows just how disconnected the laws governing this are with the majority of society's views on right and wrong. Throughout history the courts have determined people to be innocent of crimes simply because the law was clearly in the wrong, and not the person in the court. Look up the term of 'judicial activism' for examples. Bottom line is this guy's actions don't deserve to be punished with jail time.

Now, Lulzsec - catch one of them, and I doubt you'd see anybody defending them or denying the need for jail time for them after everybody they've attacked and the damage they've done.

I am looking at the whole picture, you seem to be glossing over half of it.

He is going to jail because he dared to try and make a piece of hardware he and others "OWN" do what it was advertised to do and Sony kept hounding him using legal loopholes until they broke him financially resulting in jail time because he could no longer afford to defend himself. So he is going to jail because Sony abused the system and exploited him with it. He did nothing criminal.

There is no interpretation to this. It is as Black and White as it gets.

That sucks, hope Sony cuts him a deal without jail time. Hell having burned through his money on legal defense is punishment enough.
That is exactly what he wanted to do: fight. He didn't want to cut a deal with Sony. He's in this particular position exactly because he did the opposite of Hotz did when caught and facing the reality of the situation: that he wasn't protected from legal actions and would likely lose.

Alexander "graf_chokolo" Egorenkov seems to have a few screws loose if you read his old comments and blog entries that were saved before his site was erased.

Oh well, Anonymous threatened Sony again today because of this. lulz :rolleyes:

All he and anyone else had to do to KEEP that functionality was not update it.It was all over the net about what would happen if it was updated and yet people did it anyhow with full knowledge of the consequences. I have 2 PS3's, one i updated and one which i did not so i have full other Os capability if i ever want it.
Sony owns the software and can do what they want with it which is in the EULA that everyone never bothers to read usually. This guy and others didn't have to send the code out to everyone. They could have kept it a secret and had no problems most likely. You take the risks, you take the fall if you get caught.
And like it's been said before, if you have the cash to buy a PS3, you should certainly have enough to buy or make a rig that will play linux probably a lot better than the PS3 ever could.
And for the 5% of users who actually used linux on the PS3 it sucks for them. I believe most are upset that they can't get their free games anymore.
(Well, i mean Demo and preview copies so they can see if they like the games.... :rolleyes: )

It's been a few days since I read the facts behind this, but I thought he was going to jail because he can't pay the fines imposed and not because he got an actual jail sentence for a "crime."

Is there a way to contribute to his legal fund?

It's very important that he not get jail time. Sony is trying to write the law - and public perception - with precedents. In a case like this where it's arguable that Grof was operating within his rights as an owner and within the law it is VERY important that we help him - even if just to protect our own rights.

All he and anyone else had to do to KEEP that functionality was not update it.It was all over the net about what would happen if it was updated and yet people did it anyhow with full knowledge of the consequences. I have 2 PS3's, one i updated and one which i did not so i have full other Os capability if i ever want it.
Sony owns the software and can do what they want with it which is in the EULA that everyone never bothers to read usually. This guy and others didn't have to send the code out to everyone. They could have kept it a secret and had no problems most likely. You take the risks, you take the fall if you get caught.
And like it's been said before, if you have the cash to buy a PS3, you should certainly have enough to buy or make a rig that will play linux probably a lot better than the PS3 ever could.
And for the 5% of users who actually used linux on the PS3 it sucks for them. I believe most are upset that they can't get their free games anymore.
(Well, i mean Demo and preview copies so they can see if they like the games.... :rolleyes: )

Pretty much this.

http://www.bitwalk.com/img/ps3_box_back.jpg

Could someone link to an advertisement, either commercial, or ad that talked about installing Linux? I've honestly never seen an advertisement about the ability to run Linux, yet I hear all the time about how people had an "advertised feature" taken away from them.

So..... he has to choose between playing newer games or keep linux?:rolleyes:

I think Sony's CEO and CIO should go to jail for failure to safeguard millions of people's private information.

Pretty much this.

http://www.bitwalk.com/img/ps3_box_back.jpg

Could someone link to an advertisement, either commercial, or ad that talked about installing Linux? I've honestly never seen an advertisement about the ability to run Linux, yet I hear all the time about how people had an "advertised feature" taken away from them.

Its printed on the fucking box. I can't believe that you are seriously trying to argue the idea that since linux wasn't mentioned in an advertisement, that means they can take the feature away at any time. Microsoft doesn't advertise the ability to swap out hardware inside your PC, does that mean you would be fine with them permanently binding your windows license to your specific CPU/videocard?

For what it's worth, if you've read how Hotz managed to crack the hypervisor, it was in fact through Linux.

Hotz was able to write custom software that could take advantage of his ability to physically manipulate address lines of the processor. This meant he could start executing code that an unmodified PS3 could never be tricked into executing. Using this he was able to dump the firmware, and from there everyone's efforts began both for Piracy and re-integration of OtherOS.

As long as you have physical access to the hardware and can modify address lines, as well as access to create your own software, you can find ways of circumventing any form of copy protection. According to Hotz there were a few places where a better design would have made things more difficult, but barring a hardware change, Hotz method would continue to allow dumping of any future PS3 firmwares (and subsequent piracy...) as long as OtherOS was available.

For those who disagree, please go back to the original reports from Hotz himself. There's a lot of misinformation by people trying to make the case for OtherOS that are either ignorant of technical facts or willfully hiding the info to make Sony seem less reasonable.

It's been a few days since I read the facts behind this, but I thought he was going to jail because he can't pay the fines imposed and not because he got an actual jail sentence for a "crime."

sort of...

He ran out of money to defend himself in court. Sony is suing him for 1m euros (I believe)... since he obviously can't pay for further legal help, nor can he pay the damages if/when he loses, he'll possibly be doing a stint in jail over it. This is how I understand it at least, but I haven't been following too closely as of late.

I gotta hand it to graf, he's a ballsy guy. Most people would of backed down when Sony's lawyers came knocking the first time... instead he posted every last bit of his reverse engineering work online for the world to see. It's rare to see someone stand up, especially facing bankruptcy and/or jailtime, for what they think is right these days.

I can't beleive that the EFF hasn't stepped in to help him out. To think of the money I've donated to them over the years... I'll probably be a little less willing to open my wallet next time then come asking.

Its printed on the fucking box. I can't believe that you are seriously trying to argue the idea that since linux wasn't mentioned in an advertisement, that means they can take the feature away at any time. Microsoft doesn't advertise the ability to swap out hardware inside your PC, does that mean you would be fine with them permanently binding your windows license to your specific CPU/videocard?

I posted a picture of the back of the box, and no, it's not on there anywhere, neither Linux, or Other OS is anywhere to be found on the pictures I've seen, which is why I was asking if someone had a picture of one with it on there, or a link to an advertisement mentioning either. And yes, when someone makes the claim that they had an advertised feature taken away, that was in fact not advertised, then it kind of makes their claim invalid. One thing is definitely does say on the box is "Design and specifications subject to change without notice".

Back