Cysis 2 DX11 and Sandbox Update

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
Crysis 2 DX11 Release Date: Now Available

DX11 Official Pack Download Link
http://secure.mycrysis.com/dx11

DX11/1.9 Patch FAQ
https://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32062

Is Crysis 2 crashing to black with DX11 enabled using a Nvidia card? I've been having this problem since last night.

Solution:
Nvidia Control Panel, "Manage 3D Settings", put Power management mode on "Prefer maximun performance" .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crysis 2 Sandbox Editor Now Available

Download
http://www.mycrysis.com/download/Crysis_2_ModSDK_1.0.exe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crytek has posted Patch 1.9 Notes. The changes are as follows:

Hi guys,

Below are the patch notes for Patch 1.9, this is also the patch that will enable DX11 Support (available via a separate download). We're aiming to have this patch live and available to you all next week. As always we're interested to hear your comments/thoughts on these changes so please post them below.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32220

DX11 Gallery
http://imgur.com/a/jCKj0

The DX11 Ultra Upgrade is a free visual improvement add-on introducing DirectX 11 support as well as a wealth of graphical improvements and performance optimization for both DX11 and DX9 API's.

When using the new “Ultra” spec, DX9 platforms will beneficiate from realtime local reflections and contacts shadows. The owners of DX11 platforms, in addition, will be able to enjoy hardware tessellation (requires the installation of the “Tessellation Package”), parallax occlusion mapping and several improvements for shadows, water, particles, depth of field and motion blur.

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say meh. Too little too late but I'll install it and check it out when they release it. So many months have passed though, which makes this very bleh indeed.

Thanks for the update though OP.

And this wasn't included at release because....?

I'm with Savoy, too little, too late.

I knew people would say this but I didn't want to ruin the OP.

Buy it for a lot cheaper and all is well really. Most games are better when you pay less for them. :p
But it will be interesting to see DX11 and the SDK combined later this year. For <$20 it's a good game to play around with.

Fuck off Crytek..I feel they intentionally gimped the graphics for the PC version so they could push the console version.Now the hype is over,we are suppose to embrace this..Again,too little too late!

As I said before....do people still play this game? I'm sure the multiplayer is pretty dead by now. It was back when patch 1.2 came out.

I don't really understand the negative attitude here. Sure it sucks that it wasn't ready on release, but judging by those screenshots, the update looks significantly better than just a small DX11 tack-on as many were expecting.

I would say that Crytek has done a great job on post release support for Crysis 2 with the improved anti-cheat measures and bug fixes. They're far from as 'PC first' as I would like, but I'm not going to bemoan them for the things they do appear to get right.

The Official Crysis Community page has posted two awesome non-working links to the long awaited DX11 Tessellation and High Res Texture packs. Don't despair! Crysis was gracious enough to post before and after pictures that demonstrates the difference between the way the game should have looked when you paid $59.99 for it....and after pictures showing you what you still can't have. :D Thanks to WorldExclusive for the heads up.

I don't really understand the negative attitude here. Sure it sucks that it wasn't ready on release, but judging by those screenshots, the update looks significantly better than just a small DX11 tack-on as many were expecting.

I would say that Crytek has done a great job on post release support for Crysis 2 with the improved anti-cheat measures and bug fixes. They're far from as 'PC first' as I would like, but I'm not going to bemoan them for the things they do appear to get right.

Give me $59 of your dollars and I will give you the best club sandwich in the world. And in a few months, I will give you the meat too.

In a few more months it'll be a $15 bargain game on Steam. The sales figures on PC must be sucking horribly right now. Crytek had a rep of pushing the envelope and they did anything BUT push the envelope with this one.

well i for one cant wait. just got myself a second gtx 570. this looks like it will stress it a bit :D

I paid $15 bucks for it off the hot deal forum, so I guess I got my money's worth. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than the first Crysis, go figure. Also, still surprised by all the bitching about the graphics - still one of the best looking games out there. TBH I feel the graphics are much better than Metro2033, which gets constant accolades for them.

Looking forward to it looking even better.

In a few more months it'll be a $15 bargain game on Steam. The sales figures on PC must be sucking horribly right now. Crytek had a rep of pushing the envelope and they did anything BUT push the envelope with this one.

It didn't do so hot on consoles either. I'd estimate that they barely broke 2 million altogether, which is good, but not for a game with C2s budget. I think I read the marketing budget was more than the entire budget for the first one.

I know they won't ever release official sales numbers, mainly because they're probably so poor, but it would be ironically delicious if C2 sold under or barely broke the sales of the first one @ 3.5 million.

I'm glad I haven't gotten around to playing the single player yet:) This reminds me of when the Far Cry 64bit AMD patch came out, something later that made it fun to go back and turn everything on and play again.

Meh, it looked good even in its DX9 incarnation, the game itself will be identical with DX11 stuff just prettier. I got my money's worth from a single playthrough; being able to play it again with better graphics once I want to replay it is just gravy, and quite cool of them to buckle down and release a solid pack to do so with. I'm happy (enough) with how they've handled it: not THAT different from Crysis 1 where we couldn't run maximum settings etc. smoothly initially, conceptually: after awhile we got better hardware that could then run the graphics. *shrug* I don't get it: Crytek gets bile no matter what they do, Valve gets love and praise for milking an old DX9 engine for years and years... anyway, I now have a reason to play through again: the game was good and now the eyecandy is better :D!

now that it isnt on steam it is going to be a long time before it hits that price point

I paid $16 for an Origin/EADM download of it *shrug* and I've seen them as low as $10-12 before. Steam is convenient, but it's not typically the best price except on their mega-sales.

And this wasn't included at release because....?

They probably only started creating a DX11 patch because of all the bad reviews. It doesn't change all the other problems with it being a rubbish game but Ooooo look its sooo pretty.

Not directing this at the OP but, who gives a shit?

Me. I haven't bought it yet. I decided to wait till it was "finished" in my eyes.

I paid $15 bucks for it off the hot deal forum, so I guess I got my money's worth. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than the first Crysis, go figure. Also, still surprised by all the bitching about the graphics - still one of the best looking games out there. TBH I feel the graphics are much better than Metro2033, which gets constant accolades for them.

Looking forward to it looking even better.

Graphics are missing really dumb things as it stands; DECENT textures, proper AA, YOUR CHARACTER HAS NO REFLECTION IN WINDOWS AND WATER, ....little things that CE2 did soo well :rolleyes:

Boom! Origin C2 Sale minutes after those links go live. ;)
You're right. $39.99 on Origin now.
tosh.0?

what is the over under on when this content goes live?

i am also suprised that they arent trying to sell it!!!

Don't know. It can be anywhere from 1hr to August until the SDK is released.
I'll say under two weeks. The pressure from the community will only increase after posting non-working links.

Crytek just released a free DX 11 update for Crysis 2!

Typical [H] response... Too little, too late!

Crysis 2 just balanced the Federal budget!

Crysis 2 just cured cancer!

This bashing of this game is... Too little, too late!

Crytek just released a free DX 11 update for Crysis 2!

Crysis 2 just balanced the Federal budget!

Crysis 2 just cured cancer!

This bashing of this game is... Too little, too late!

Thank you! I rarely feel this phrase is justified, but so many people on this forum just seem downright butt-hurt over the whole thing. It's a game! Have fun and enjoy it. Think it sucks and don't feel it's worth your money; well, problem solved, don't buy it and move on.

Still not going to buy it until they release the sandbox 3.0 editor for free (which they have said they are going to do sometime this year). I never would have bought crysis if it wasn't for sandbox 2.0 being included, that tool alone was easily worth $30-50 and made me happy to pay for the game.

This whining about the graphics not being good is ridiculous and overplayed. The graphics still look good, just not so extreme that they'll crush your system the way Crysis did when it was released. Nor do the graphics not being extreme really affect the game play.

Get over it.

Best part...

Not sure which version is supposed to look better.

"Ohhh it's bumpy"

I don't even have a DX11 video card, nor own Crysis 2, hehehe. By the time I can afford to build a new system I'll be reading about people bitching that Crysis 3 has to patch in DX12 and be in the same boat. :p

It still looks like shite next to Crysis 1, that's the boil on my buttcheek. C1 MP rocked my world even when I had the lowest graphical details on.

I've messed around with Crysis 2 and, it's not that bad. Can't speak for the multi-player as I tried the free multi-player beta and found it .... lulz ..... I can't stand small ass maps where the target audience is teens who just wanna run and jump around and kill you. There is no room for much skill, certainly very little afforded strategy, again, due to map size and mechanics. Yeah, like Metro 2033, this is one of those "Video Card" GPU Power, generational games as I call them that will just be worth playing when video cards can actually throw up 60+ fps @ 1080p with the game fully patched out with bug fixes, performance gains and all the DLC thrown into an ultimate version for cheap. I will say that Cyrsis 2 looked great and ran pretty smooth with max settings

It would be hilarious if they had charged for this "update" that should have shipped Day 1.

Last edited:
Was DX11 support promised by Crytek for the release of the game?

I don't understand why Crysis 2 gets bashed so much, and I'm not even a fan of Crytek or their past games either. Crytek and Crysis 2 seem to get way too much hate, especially if you compare how things turned out to say Gearbox and DNF.

It still looks like shite next to Crysis 1, that's the boil on my buttcheek. C1 MP rocked my world even when I had the lowest graphical details on.

Are you saying Crysis 1 at its lowest graphics settings looks better than Crysis 2? Can someone else corroborate this?

Back