Big Brother May Soon Be in Your Sewers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research has found that by taking and analyzing water samples from localized sewers, they can fairly accurately predict the drug use tendencies in those areas. The group is still refining its methods and data reliability, but the idea could catch on with some government agencies. I foresee some really crappy lawsuits formulating as we speak. :D

If people are not causing enough of a problem that you have to stoop to literally sniffing their shit to determine that they are using "drugs" then you should not be wasting resources on them.

If people are not causing enough of a problem that you have to stoop to literally sniffing their shit to determine that they are using "drugs" then you should not be wasting resources on them.

I was going to say something but I think you already took the words out of my mouth. This is beyond stupid and borderline invasion of privacy.

Read about something like this in a sci-fi book a while back. They had these robots with sensors combing the sewers looking for evidence of illegal drug use. Then they'd bust up through the toilet and inform the authorities.

I was going to say something but I think you already took the words out of my mouth. This is beyond stupid and borderline invasion of privacy.

No kidding. I'd say it's invasion of privacy if it weren't for the fact it's out in the open (sewers).

When I saw the headline I thought they might be trying to track people dumping chemicals into sewers. Either way, I'm tired of big brother crap, and I have a feeling it's only going to get worse in the years to come.

The stupid pun list is massive on this one.

What a shit job for a police officer..
The Chief Shit Inspector.
The Shit list.
The list could go on and on for this one.

Great, now all the stoners will just start pissing in the alley and shitting on the lawn. Brilliant plan!

The one useful thing this could be used for is to point out that hundreds of millions are on drugs.... IF you only count the illegal ones, if you count legal drugs then its multiple billion people, would be hard to argue for the war on drugs if you realize most humans take drugs and always have.

Great, now all the stoners will just start pissing in the alley and shitting on the lawn. Brilliant plan!

hahaha all the major anti illegal drug people would be all for something like this... until a junkie shits in their flower bed and pisses in their mail box.

same as IP tracking, soon they will need to have a cam pointing up the toilet bowl to determine the right anus.

Not that I approve of the war on drugs but they could always dispose of their own feces. :p

I highly doubt raw sewerage will ever be traceable back to any one person.

More than likely, stuff like this would be used to figure out which areas of the city are in need of drug enforcement...not exactly the stuff of 1984.

Back to the usual complaining and moaning. :D

I foresee corn prices going up.

If people want to start looking at our crap, we'll make sure it's really not fun for them to do so.

I don't do drugs so I would not be worried about that part, but who knows what other type of info they could get from this, for example if they see lot of volume, then they'll try to charge you more for water, or something. I could see this getting way out of control.

and they will see relatively benign drugs like pot are widely used by almost every demographic. I'm sure some law firm will figure out a way to stop this. There's a reason why most don't do drug testing.

Don't worry, Teenage Mutant Ninja hackers are already at work in the sewers.

They do this here already. The EPA is also looking at concentrations of prescription and OTC stuff in the sewers. Until the (fictional) sensor is in the toilet bowl, you don't have much to worry about. Dilution. They're more interested shutting down crack houses and illegal drug labs.

I dont usaully get this mad on the forum but are you shitting me? Talk about a invasion of privacy. Every time you go to the bathroom your taking a drug test. F that!

I foresee toilet mod: It flashes blue & red LED lights embedded under the seat after detecting the dope-laden shit, with ear piercing siren thrown in for good measure.

Everyone knows you get the drunkest fool to drink the bong water you don't flush it down the stool.

When I saw the headline I thought it was about the tv show. The sewer seems the most appropriate place for the shit that show's been pumping out the last few years!

I would think that food companies would be interested in the shit content based on geographical area. "Sir, we've analyzed the shit content of Washington DC and we've determined that we need to sell more chicken on the cheap!"

The war on drugs is a pointless and endless battle. Legalize, tax, regulate, and get help to people instead of putting them in jail.

Hell, the state would even make a profit out of it!

True, way too much resources are wasted. And if drugs are so illegal and bad, then why is drinking and smoking ok? those too, are like drugs. If those are legal then may as well make the rest legal too.

I don't do any of that stuff but way I see it, if people chose to, let them decide, not the goverment.

Wow, /thread one post in. Agree 100%.

What if you put those cleaning things in the tank? Won't the chemicals in that mess the test up?

The stupid pun list is massive on this one.

What a shit job for a police officer..
The Chief Shit Inspector.
The Shit list.
The list could go on and on for this one.

heh, CSI.

"I'm with CSI"
"Crime Scene Investigations?"
"Uh yeah, something like that."

Back