Crosshair V Problems / Bugs / Other Things / *READ BEFORE YOU BUY*

AMDWiZARD

n00b
Hey guys I just wanted to give you a heads up about this motherboard... get ready for a rough ride. Honestly, I believe this motherboard could have been better tested. For something advertised as a gamer's motherboard, it sure does fall short in many catagories. I know it's a new motherboard, but I'm putting this near as close to the FIC boards in past.

I have not owned an Asus motherboard in 10 years. The last Asus board I had was a A7V for those who can remember it. I've always sticked to Gigabyte and MSI. I always liked the stability Gigabyte has provided. I can honestly say I was intrigued by this board after reading the reviews and watching the Youtube presentation on it. Unfortunately, this board has currently fallen short of the quality I expected.

First, let me take issue to the fact of total misleading advertisement. The board touts itself as XFi 2 MB. There is NO XFI2 CHIP on this motherboard! There is only "XFi 2 software".
If there was truly an XFI chip, it would have cost around $350. The sound chip is actually a Realtek HD sound chip.

Next comes my issue of memory. I was moving over 16GB (4x4 set) of G.SKILL PC1600 DDR3 1.5v 9-9-9-9-24 Ripjaw from my Gigabyte board to this one. I could not figure out the insane amount of BSOD's! What the heck is going on?! So finally I whipped out Memtest86+ 4.20 to check it out. So it appeared the set errored out. Here I go testing one stick at a time. No errors. Put two sticks in DIMM 1,2 - errors. Put two sticks in DIMM 1,3 no errors.
Put single stick in DIMM 2 no errors. Single stick in DIMM3 no errors. Single stick in DIMM4 no errors. Put three sticks in the system hard locks during the test. What the heck. All four DIMMS test fine as a set in the Gigabyte board. Finally I settled on using 2 out of the 4GB sticks in DIMMS 1,3 and no problems. Asus needs some stability fixes bad.

Next is the CPU Fan F1 problem others have experienced. I have this same problem too. The system reports no CPU fan on a cold boot. Warm reboot and the problem goes away.
Asus please FIX!

Experienced the notorious Intel driver crash everyone was reporting on the Crosshair IV. Newest driver didn't fix it. Custom driver didn't fix it. Solution, bought a realtek 1Gig PCI card. So far no problems with it. Again Asus, please FIX. If it is an intel problem, then get with intel and fix it.

Another problem is that the system reports I have 2 mouses and 2 keyboards plugged in on POST?! When I enter the UEFI the mouse and the keyboard goes berserk. I can't navigate the menus at all. Asus needs to fix this as well.

It may seem to all I am ranting. I am not. I do believe the motherboard will have serious potential when the BIOS matures. If you are considering this board, my advice is honestly I would stay away from this for now. The board needs some serious fixes. Of course, you won't read about this on review sites, because I'm sure they get some perks for positive reviews.

If you have had any issues such as mine, I invite you to please post back. Let's help them make this a good motherboard. So far, im not sold on this thing at all.

Without going into details, I run a network of over 100 workstations and I custom build my servers, so I am not new to the game. I will wait for Asus to update their BIOS and then I will report back with more feedback. I've done enough troubleshooting for a day. It would be nice to use the damn thing. Their memory compatibility list has to improve. Why I can run only 8GB of ram as opposed to 16GB is unacceptable. Is this board a winner? Only time will tell.

Hi

please list your keyboard and mouse make/madel/revision and the motherboard BIOS version you are currently using.

AMD have changed the AGESA in preparation for the new processors, as a result, older CPUs may need some tuning of drive strength parameters to obtain full stability. There is a BIOS guide for the C5F over on ROG forums (which I cannot link due to forum rules).

-Raja

As for the X-Fi 2 software item, Realtek and Creative have some shared IP, which allows Creative to use software processing to leverage some of the Realtek ASIC to a degree. It's only real benefit is EAX, however.

Most certainly.

My mouse is a microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000. I have also tried with the Logitech M325.
Keyboard is a Logitech Wired Illuminated Keyboard.

System Specs

Asus Crosshair V Bios 0404 (first release)
Phenom II 970 Quad Core 3.5Ghz
G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4 16GB 1.5v F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL (2x4GB (8GB) only being used in Dimms 1,3)
(2) 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD running in Raid 0
Radeon 6850 1GB

For those wondering, I didn't join Asus forums because they wanted too much information to register.

Drivers:
XFi2 Titanium Champion Beta Release 2011 (fixes the I/O port problem with the headphones)
Realtek Gigabit LAN drivers June 2011 release
Catalyst 11.6

Raja, I just saw the Guide you referred to, it seems that 16GB set ups require some fine tuning. I will see what I can do with this guide. In the meantime, please get my feedback to Asus.

Most certainly.
Drivers:
XFi2 Titanium Champion Beta Release 2011 (fixes the I/O port problem with the headphones)
Realtek Gigabit LAN drivers June 2011 release
Catalyst 11.6
Doesn't the board use an Intel LAN controller?

Raja, I just saw the Guide you referred to, it seems that 16GB set ups require some fine tuning. I will see what I can do with this guide. In the meantime, please get my feedback to Asus.

The MS Wireless receiver is a known problem, however, I sent a revision 3 unit out to HQ and they've managed to replicate and find a fix for the pointer drift. We should have a system-wide update ready for this shortly.

The two keyboard/mouse report during BOOT is something to do with UEFI - it's just a report error and unrelated to the issue above (I will get that back to HQ anyway).

I will check up on the fan report and the Intel LAN drivers.

That leaves the AGESA optimization for the upcoming architectures which means the older processors are going to need some manual tuning - we can't do much about that as it currrently stands unless AMD opens up more of the microcode for manipulation.

The ROG forum registration info requirements should be the same as any other forum AFAIK.

Beta BIOS 009 fixes a few memory timing issues so might be worth checking that out - I will link the BIOSes in the ASUS official AMD support thread on this forum.

-Raja

Thanks for the update Raja. Is the BIOS 0009 the only beta bios fixing memory timing issues? I loaded BIOS 00010. Can you state which beta BIOS is newer or fix/change logs if you have them?

The beta BIOS 00010 didn't fix my fan F1 problem but it seems a lot more stable as far as the options go in the bios. The fan I have is Scythe fan. Can't remember the model off the bat.

I am glad you can confirm the wireless mouse problem! And I'm happy they found a fix!

With BIOS 00010 I still cannot operate 16GB of memory. Still get the same errors. Checked timings and refresh according to the guide. Individual sticks still test good. System is running stable at 8GB memory. No BSOD.

Raja considering that the errors were related to 16GB of memory, I would be quite confident to say the Intel LAN crashing was due to the instability of the system. I haven't bothered to test with 8GB of ram as my realtek card is working fine. However, for the sake of troubleshooting and feedback I will give it a go tonight.

Another interesting thing, I had (2) 4GB DDR3 Kingston Hyper-X memory stick set (KHX1600C9D3K2/8G) that no-posted with the memory set to auto. Working fine in the Gigabyte board. I know that not all memory sticks are supported on the Crosshair V. Just throwing it out there if anyone else has the problem.

Ati Raid drivers released in June 2011 (ver 3.3) show a slight increase in writing speeds on my SSDs.

That's the latest update.

howdy AMDWiZARD

i hope you are successful in chasing down all the bugs on this board. course i have my own agenda, i'm interested in this board and is my top choice for MB when BD comes out. the reason i liked this board over the gigabyte version (apart from the colour scheme) is the intel NIC and lots of fan headers. so good luck and i'll be watching with interest.

Aphasia,

As everything I normally do, I won't rest until I have some answers. Raja has been a good help with this and the beta BIOS he has provided is not bad. Together, we can make my Asus experience a positive one. I use Intel NICS in my servers, so I know the drivers are good quality. Nothing like a good challenge. Although I know AMD has changed the AGESA model for Socket AM3+, we need to find a strong resolution to the 16GB ram problem. If I have to order another 16GB, I'm going to go Crucial this time as they never disappoint.

I do have to admit, the red on black color scheme is one of my favs.
I'm hoping we can iron the problems out before Bulldozer makes its debut, as I will own it the second its available.

Raja something interesting is the board attempts to turn on ECC by default. I think it would be nice to have it disabled by default considering the mass population will be using Unbuffered/Non Registered ram on these mobos.

For anyone who has been following this thread. I can report that all 16GB of ram now completely passes without error in memtestx86+ 4.20 when downclocked to 1066mhz. I'm going to be testing 1333mhz when I go to bed. The memory is rated for 1600mhz. Obviously with the lower clock speeds the timings have changed. My thoughts is that the memory will have to be "tuned" in order to operate at its advertised speed on this motherboard. It will take some playing around. When I have found the correct combination I will post it here.

Raja - keep me up to date on anymore beta BIOS that may be released so I can test it out.
Raja - I have also found the drifting mouse problem is somehow connected to my usb webcam or my usb PS2 controller adapter. Will post more info tomorrow.

yes being able to run 16GB RAM on this motherboard is also at the top of my list. interestingly i was also considering G.Skill RAM as well as it seems to be the cheapest locally.

that's good news on getting all 4 banks to play nice. now if it can run at 1333 or 1600, that would be very cool.

For anyone who has been following this thread. I can report that all 16GB of ram now completely passes without error in memtestx86+ 4.20 when downclocked to 1066mhz. I'm going to be testing 1333mhz when I go to bed. The memory is rated for 1600mhz. Obviously with the lower clock speeds the timings have changed. My thoughts is that the memory will have to be "tuned" in order to operate at its advertised speed on this motherboard. It will take some playing around. When I have found the correct combination I will post it here.

Raja - keep me up to date on anymore beta BIOS that may be released so I can test it out.
Raja - I have also found the drifting mouse problem is somehow connected to my usb webcam or my usb PS2 controller adapter. Will post more info tomorrow.

Hi,

Ok. we can take most of this to the official suport thread now (that' what it's up for) :)

The 009 and 010 BIOSes are a pair - the only difference being 010 is for extreme overclockers and is optimised to help with HTT clocking. 009 is for 24/7 use and is not as aggressive for memory - I recommend you stick with that.

Check the ROG forums for the AMD BIOS guide I stuck up it will help you with trying to get 16GB working (drive strengths and such). The AMD architecture is such that manual changes are necessary - the 009 BIOS is a middle ground. On top of that each DRAM IC has different drive strength requirements, so there is only so much we can do on AUTO settings.

Can you tell me the default fan speed for the Scythe fan please?

-Raja

Last edited:
The default speed for the Scythe Samurai operates at about 2000rpm. I'll have an answer about 1333mhz ram soon.

The Intel NIC problem is exactly the same as on The Crosshair IV Extreme. To get it working you need to use the driver on Asus' site for the CIV-E. Alternatively you can install the latest Intel package (16.3) then copy the updated 'e1q62x64.sys' from the Asus provided driver into c:\windows\system32\drivers.

I'm also having the CPU fan error on cold boot, even when the BIOS/UEFI it set to ignore both CPU can headers.

To let others know, i've had the board since i could first order it, no issues whatsoever, got my down and dirty OC of 4.0 with settings from my Crosshair III, need to tweak it more.....

Have not seen any issues that the OP has, including the fan thing....rig in sig.

just wanted to make others realize that these are not global issues with the board

edit: to note though, by default LLC is at "auto" which is overly aggressive IMHO, it pushed volts on my 1090T to ~1.6v(measured by multi meter)...set to 0% and its dead on where i want it to be under load

I am going to say that perhaps your combination of hardware was better for the board.
I would respectfully disagree that these are not global problems.

The wireless mouse drifiting problem was replicated.
The fan F1 problem was replicated as well - search online for these problems. Asus forum has someone with the same issue.
The intel LAN problem carried over since the Crosshair IV. Logic says, if you have problems with this NIC since the previous generation include a different one in your new generation motherboard. There is plenty of issues, just look it up. It may be related to the memory timings. This is yet to be determined. I know the person who posted above said the drivers from CHIV work.
The fact that board does have memory timing issues is well stated by Raja. Obviously we know now its due to the change in AGESA AMD made because of bulldozer.

Feather, its quite possible you are the lucky one :)

Just got a Crosshair V Formula here myself, the bios it shipped with was 0404 (from 05/18/11). LAN was inoperative after I loaded Windows, but just installed all the drivers off the included software DVD and it was working fine. Seriously... haven't had a single problem with this mobo so far, but I only just put the system together like yesterday. Initial impressions with overclocking have been phenomenal, so far I have a stable 955BE blending at 4.3 ghz. So far, so good! Knock on wood.

I am going to say that perhaps your combination of hardware was better for the board.
I would respectfully disagree that these are not global problems.

The wireless mouse drifiting problem was replicated.
The fan F1 problem was replicated as well - search online for these problems. Asus forum has someone with the same issue.
The intel LAN problem carried over since the Crosshair IV. Logic says, if you have problems with this NIC since the previous generation include a different one in your new generation motherboard. There is plenty of issues, just look it up. It may be related to the memory timings. This is yet to be determined. I know the person who posted above said the drivers from CHIV work.
The fact that board does have memory timing issues is well stated by Raja. Obviously we know now its due to the change in AGESA AMD made because of bulldozer.

Feather, its quite possible you are the lucky one :)

as stated above if you use the driver from Asus's site the Intel one works.....thats what I did

For the fan, i've got a simple Coolermaster 40CFM one plugged into there......

Mouse wise, i've got a G500 so no i cant replicate that.....

Mem wise, i only have 8GB, and the timings are spot on, only 2 dimms though, so again i cannot replicate the issue with 4dimm's filled.....

CPU is a 1090T

For those wondering, managed to get 16gb DDR3 1600mhz working successfully at 1333mhz. Passes memtest and all! System stable at 1333mhz. Soon as I get the right combo for 16GB I will post the timings. Thanks all.

I apologize I have been very busy lately and not available to offer more feedback. I will test some more this upcoming weekend.

As Raja has mentioned 16GB of memory is possible but may require manually setting some of the drive strengths.

Crosshair V Formula
1035T @3910MHz
16GB memory @ 1600MHz 7-8-7
ASUS GTX570 x 3

Prime95 running - Showing amount of memory used
click for larger image

Prime95 stopped - Showing time run and number of tests
click for larger image

click for larger image

click for larger image

click for larger image

click for larger image

3ds Max w/V-ray
Time to render: 1:42:42
click for larger image

Hey Raja, Since you happen to be the friendliest ASUS support personnel i can Find, due to American and canadian support on asus either knowing nothing, or being very rude to me. I also have a Crosshair V, This problem can be reproduced on the Sabertooth 990FX which leads me to believe it is the EFI.

The problem is, This board doesnt want to take more than one RAID card at a time. It freezes at the full screen logo, no matter if I use two SAS cards, one SAS and one SATA, Two SATA, integrated And dedicated, every combination, It just wont boot. but if i have only one of these cards in at a time, it will boot so it's not any of my RAID Cards.

All i want to do is use my SAS drives as boot drives in a separate card, and raid up my 2TB drives in Raid 1 to protect against data loss.

AMD Phenom II X2 550
Crosshair V Formula
8GB OCZ 1333 RAM.
300GB SAS
2x2TB SATA
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 512MB
650W PSU Antec

Any help or getting this thing updated would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

hi. i have a few issues with this board too.
main one being, everytime i switch on the pc i have to go into bios to set the ocz vertex 3 to first priority boot device. it's okay if i'm just restarting. i would probably do well to include some pictures of the bios. and you could let me know if they check out okay.

and i was wondering if " can't find any devices " is correct or not ?

20110629_1.jpg

Last edited:
and i was wondering if " can't find any devices " is correct or not ?
If you don't have any drives connected to the ASMedia controller then the message is correct. If you are not using that controller you can disable it in the UEFI.

For those following this thread, I still have not had much time to test again at 1600. 1333 has been stable for over a week and half now. I will have an update soon.

Thanks for the wait.

Alright, so once again I decided to give it the go around with 16GB @ 1600mhz.
FAILED STILL. The gentleman above does not even tell us his ram brand, supposed timings, etc. so I doubt its applicable to my situation.

This time, I started again at 1.5v (advertised voltage). FAILED.
Adjusted to 1.55v FAILED DUE TO HARD LOCK on Memtestx86+ 4.20 at the 20% pass mark
Adjusted to 1.6v FAILED AGAIN DUE TO HARD LOCK on Memtestx86+ 4.20 at the 20% pass mark

So I thought, maybe its a bug in the memtest program. Downloaded the original, rewritten Memtest 4.00 (not + version). FAILED at 20% again.

Raja, has there been a newer beta bios than 0010? I'll be willing to test something newer than what I have right now. I hope Asus is gearing up for a huge BIOS release.

Nevermind, I found the 0027 bios you posted.
For reference the official BIOS 0404 is dated 6/2/2011
Beta BIOS 0010 is dated 6/7/2011
Beta BIOS 0027 is dated 6/23/2011

1. Cold boot hit F1 Fan error still exists.
2. System cannot be stable still at 16GB @ 1600mhz

At this point, unless there are several strides to improve the motherboard, I may go a different direction.
My guess is we may not see an official release until sometime late July. I honestly believe this motherboard has a lot of potential, when it matures I don't believe there will be a motherboard that can touch it. And, I do like the fact I have 4 usb 3.0 ports :)

Are you just upping the bus clocks, CPU/NB and DRAM voltage when trying to run DDR3-1600 with 16GB of memory?

If so, this will not work. You need to setup all the drive strengths properly and this takes some time (patience). We cannot update the BIOS to suit all memory modules and configurations for drive strengths - that's how the AMD AGESA is setup as is the IMC.

Also,some DIMMs needs a 2T Command Rate when populating all ranks.

Read the guide on ROG forums and try to grasp how to adjust the BIOS before trying to run 16GB of memory above DDR3-1333 please.

-Raja

Alright, so once again I decided to give it the go around with 16GB @ 1600mhz.
FAILED STILL. The gentleman above does not even tell us his ram brand, supposed timings, etc. so I doubt its applicable to my situation.
The memory timings are shown in the screenshots. The timings and voltage are set as spec'd for the memory at their rated 1600MHz speed. I apologize for not listing the model of the ram. Maybe I misunderstood your first post as a general statement that the board was not capable of running 16GB of memory at 1600MHz regardless of make or model instead of just your particular model of ram. The memory I'm using is G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

Raja,

This is a QUAD Channel Kit

hxxp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315&cm_re=g.skill_16gb-_-20-231-315-_-Product

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

9-9-9-24-2N

*Note: the above ram will work at 1333mhz with the advertised timings at 9-9-9-24-2N - Memtest reports no errors at 1333mhz

Back