Keeping Up with the Hackers (Chart)

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Are you having a problem wrapping your head around all of the publicized hack attacks that have been going on this spring? It’s a daunting task to remember them all, so CNET put them all down on a spreadsheet to refresh your memory. You will have to remember that this is a list of only what has been officially reported. It is looking more like 2011 will be remembered as the year of the hackers.

But it's clear that more attacks are bubbling to the surface lately. And they are various types of attacks, not just the data breaches that expose sensitive consumer personal data and thus trigger state disclosure laws.

Is it that hacking is on the rise, or is it just that the REPORTING of hacking is on the rise? Companies that might have kept things secret in the past are being compelled to report things now under new laws/regulations, and public pressure/goodwill says to report it as quickly as you can. Meanwhile, after Sony the media has really taken a big interest in reporting hacks no matter their size. I saw somebody else say this on another site, and I think it does have a bit of validity to it.

The defense contractors are the most disturbing to me. Our military is pretty automated these days and the companies targeted are the architects of that infrastructure.

Back