Apple Bans DUI Checkpoint Apps from the App Store

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Last month we ran a story on a ‘request’ from a group of US Senators for the removal of Checkpoint Apps from online stores. Bowing to the pressure from the group of Senators, Apple has removed DUI Checkpoint Apps from the App Store. The now banned Apps list the locations of police drunk driving checkpoints within a predefined area like a county or city.

Some police departments actually supply the data used in such apps because they reduce the number of drunk drivers on the roads!

We can expect it to be a new feature soon! Yay, officially supported!

I noticed last night that the Android Market has loads of DUI Checkpoint Apps, most free. Android goes forth where Apple dare not? :D

I noticed last night that the Android Market has loads of DUI Checkpoint Apps, most free. Android goes forth where Apple dare not? :D

Iphones are a government think tank tool and easily persuaded by government power. Android +1 .. I do not see Google banning these apps.

That's the cool thing about having a jail-broken phone. There are already several underground apps out there that do a fantastic job. We've never needed Apples permission. I use them mostly for speed traps. Cannonball Run is the one I like best for speed traps in my area. The cool apps are the location based hookup ( sex ) apps that require a jailbroken phone. You can be in the Kansas City Plaza area and see dozens of alerts for couples looking for single females, sometimes males, and surprisingly, lot of single females looking as well. Just follow the GPS blip.

I would indeed like to see a check box for DUI checkpoints to show up on GPS apps and Google maps.

You could always not drink and drive and then you wouldn't have to worry about where the DUI checkpoints are ...

You could always not drink and drive and then you wouldn't have to worry about where the DUI checkpoints are ...

Or maybe sober people just hate having to wait in line to be tested after not drinking and wasting an hour of their time?

Not always illegal uses.

DUI checkpoints are bullshit. They stop everyone whether you are doing something illegal or not.

I'm disappointed Apple pussed out.

Apple: assisting Big Brother since 1984.
Heh, it is interesting how they have become everything they once claimed to be against.

Let us just hope that they won't release your life's GPS tracking information they collect to the feds on a whim as well.

that mentality is why you are wrong, the use of the app is to avoid time wasteing check points

the DUI app is many for none drink drivers, just the app is called DUI (as thats what the check points are called) and some stupid government man mite be missing on some money if an very Unlikely chance they catch an drunk man

if it was called something els that was not drunk in the name it mite of not been in there (like Drive Safety)

like in the uk they are having an really good go at trying to ban speed camera lists or devices (ok sorry it should be Safety cameras as they would like you to call them or as the public like to call them cash machines) like tomtom/snooper or other map software or radar/laser detectors

any one who has an iphone or android phone as not likely to be an drunk any way (they mite be under drugs but that's something els)

wonder if there is an list some where of banned aps as they are likely to be very good if apple have banned them, all apple have done now is next time they want an new phone most likely be an android phone

Yeah i know what you're getting at. But it's the bigger picture.

Maybe now we can put a breathalyzer in your car Draax. Maybe now we can feed your children. Maybe now we can implant stress signalling software in your kids phone and your significant others phone to know if your verbally berating them.

You wouldn't berate your kid or feed him like a fatty, I hope. But where does it stop?

Yeah i know what you're getting at. But it's the bigger picture.

Maybe now we can put a breathalyzer in your car Draax. Maybe now we can feed your children. Maybe now we can implant stress signalling software in your kids phone and your significant others phone to know if your verbally berating them.

You wouldn't berate your kid or feed him like a fatty, I hope. But where does it stop?
so far the line has been drawn at refusing to enable people to do illegal and dangerous behavior, which is reasonable to me.

so far the line has been drawn at refusing to enable people to do illegal and dangerous behavior, which is reasonable to me.

I have no problem with applications telling people where these checkpoints are. Why should someone doing nothing wrong be inconvenienced and have their privacy invaded with a DUI checkpoint? Instead of stopping everybody on a particular road the police should be out and actually look for drunk drivers.

boo fucking hoo

your tune will change after you lose someone you care about to a drunk driving piece of shit

boo fucking hoo

your tune will change after you lose someone you care about to a drunk driving piece of shit

I hate drunk drivers too. Checkpoints are still bullshit.

Are you saying losing a loved one to a drunk driver is justification to stop people doing nothing wrong? If so you sound like a gun control advocate. I had a cousin shot to death in a crowded bar. Do I hate guns? No. I own three and want more.

did I say I hate cars? no, I just get a kick out of nerd rage over bs hypotheticals that impact nearly zero of the real-living population.

If I were in your shoes and apple decided to ban an app explicitly helping people circumvent gun laws I'd certainly see the common sensical position of that company's position.

boo fucking hoo

I've lost more than one friend to drunk driving, in fact. One was a victim, the other a drunk driver himself. I still don't support a police state with checkpoints where my rights against unlawful searches are suspended.

sure you have...sure you have.

probably explains your hyperbole of the situation

sure you have...sure you have.

probably explains your hyperbole of the situation

And what explains your willingness to be assfucked by your own government as long as they only push their dong in a little bit at a time and say they are doing it for a good cause?

You have to draw the line somewhere. You give the government an inch, and they'll take a mile. Checkpoints for DUI. What's next? There are a large number of things the cops could set up checkpoints for.

And I don't want to hear you bitching about it. After all, if you've done nothing wrong, then you have nothing to hide and should submit to any and all searches correct?

what the fuck are you on about?

last I checked this thread was about Apple's decision to lock DUI apps from the appstore.

In your fanciful universe the only people who can make decisions about what they do or do not support is basically agree with you or else they like being assfucked, police states, etc?

Yours is the fascist position.

last I checked this thread was about Apple's decision to lock DUI apps from the appstore.

In your fanciful universe the only people who can make decisions about what they do or do not support is basically agree with you or else they like being assfucked, police states, etc?

Did I say Apple couldn't make decisions? Did I even mention Apple? Perhaps I was a bit off-topic, but let me state for the record that I believe its well within Apple's rights to be a toady for the government, if a bit hypocritical given their hipster power to the people shtick. By all means Apple, send more people to Android.

People who think the government is correct to pressure them in the first place however are who I take objection to. Make no mistake, it's not against the law to travel on roads not blocked by checkpoints, and the activity of public servants on public streets is public knowledge.

Discussion about the checkpoints themselves is valid considering that's what the applications are revolving around. There's nothing wrong with these checkpoint location programs. Apple wussed out over nothing. Coward politicians win. This is a bad thing.

My gun analogy (which could have been worded better) was to illustrate that it's bullshit that a person going about his/her own business doing nothing illegal and hurting no one is forced to pull over and submit to police questioning. This is the same shit gun owners across US are fighting against. "If we are not hurting anyone keep your damn nose out of our business".

Or maybe sober people just hate having to wait in line to be tested after not drinking and wasting an hour of their time?

Not always illegal uses.

An hour ... really. Having to wait a few minutes, in order to keep the roads free from drunk drivers, is really not asking a whole lot. Perhaps a modicum of patience is in order.

that mentality is why you are wrong, the use of the app is to avoid time wasteing check points

the DUI app is many for none drink drivers, just the app is called DUI (as thats what the check points are called) and some stupid government man mite be missing on some money if an very Unlikely chance they catch an drunk man

if it was called something els that was not drunk in the name it mite of not been in there (like Drive Safety)

like in the uk they are having an really good go at trying to ban speed camera lists or devices (ok sorry it should be Safety cameras as they would like you to call them or as the public like to call them cash machines) like tomtom/snooper or other map software or radar/laser detectors

any one who has an iphone or android phone as not likely to be an drunk any way (they mite be under drugs but that's something els)

wonder if there is an list some where of banned aps as they are likely to be very good if apple have banned them, all apple have done now is next time they want an new phone most likely be an android phone

Were you drunk when you wrote this post? Perhaps we need posting while under the influence checkpoints.

An hour ... really. Having to wait a few minutes, in order to keep the roads free from drunk drivers, is really not asking a whole lot. Perhaps a modicum of patience is in order.

And what else should they create checkpoints for? Sex offenders? After all, we should protect the children, and sex offenders are the scum of the Earth. We should just put up checkpoints near schools and check to make sure no one driving by is a sex offender.

Checkpoints for illegally modified vehicles that could be a safety hazard? Checkpoints for insurance coverage so that when an accident happens, people have options? Checkpoints for unregistered weapons? Checkpoints for seatbelts? These would all undoubtedly reduce crime and increase safety. I'm not being sarcastic here. These would definitely have a net benefit. But is it worth it? It sounds nice to say that potentially saving even one life is worth any cost, but in reality, that's not true.

There comes a point where you have to say that a freedom we have is well worth the cost. That cost being that some people may abuse that freedom to cause trouble or harm others.

There are a lot of inconveniences that law enforcement could implement for what on the surface seems like a good cause. But the problem is that when you submit to these inconveniences, there is no getting rid of them. They become the new baseline, and after a time, people become accustomed to them. Then it becomes time to roll out a new "inconvenience." And so on.

Once we make a new law, or give law enforcement new powers, or allow them more latitude, we can never take it away. New laws go on the books all the time, but they are almost never removed. Law enforcement is given more and more power all the time, but it is never taken away.

Telling people to just be patient because they have nothing to hide is a fair statement when taken at face value, but there's more at stake than convenience. It's law enforcement's job to protect us, but it's our job to tell them when they are going too far and when their protection is coming at too high a cost.

Not always illegal uses.

A police officer knows in 30 seconds if you are clean, and you'll get the "Move along, nothing to see here".

They are not stupid. It does not take an hour.

And what else should they create checkpoints for? Sex offenders? After all, we should protect the children, and sex offenders are the scum of the Earth. We should just put up checkpoints near schools and check to make sure no one driving by is a sex offender.

Checkpoints for illegally modified vehicles that could be a safety hazard? Checkpoints for insurance coverage so that when an accident happens, people have options? Checkpoints for unregistered weapons? Checkpoints for seatbelts? These would all undoubtedly reduce crime and increase safety. I'm not being sarcastic here. These would definitely have a net benefit. But is it worth it? It sounds nice to say that potentially saving even one life is worth any cost, but in reality, that's not true.

There comes a point where you have to say that a freedom we have is well worth the cost. That cost being that some people may abuse that freedom to cause trouble or harm others.

There are a lot of inconveniences that law enforcement could implement for what on the surface seems like a good cause. But the problem is that when you submit to these inconveniences, there is no getting rid of them. They become the new baseline, and after a time, people become accustomed to them. Then it becomes time to roll out a new "inconvenience." And so on.

Once we make a new law, or give law enforcement new powers, or allow them more latitude, we can never take it away. New laws go on the books all the time, but they are almost never removed. Law enforcement is given more and more power all the time, but it is never taken away.

Telling people to just be patient because they have nothing to hide is a fair statement when taken at face value, but there's more at stake than convenience. It's law enforcement's job to protect us, but it's our job to tell them when they are going too far and when their protection is coming at too high a cost.

DUI checkpoints are nothing new, there were no new laws creating to allow DUI checkpoints. In addition I said nothing about creating checkpoints for any of the hypothetical situations you created ... which have absolutely no relevance to this thread.

It is asking a whole lot. It's none of anyone's business, period.+

Considering you are driving on public roads ... it is everyones business.

Pulling people over at a DUI checkpoint is crap. If someone is doing absolutely nothing illegal police have no business talking to me. You must like the do not fly list.

I agree. I live in kentucky with arguably the highest teenage drunk driving rates and the lowest insured rates in the country. The last thing I wanna do here is undermine the cops. Great for you yuppies in orange country but here in KY the few of us who are sober and insured live in mortal fear of drunk drivers daily. Almost got creamed on the way to work this morning by some morning beer yeehaw idiot.

A police officer knows in 30 seconds if you are clean, and you'll get the "Move along, nothing to see here".

They are not stupid. It does not take an hour.

30 seconds....times how many pulled over on a busy road?
4th Amendment to the Bill of Rights.
READ it.
UNDERSTAND it.

30 seconds....times how many pulled over on a busy road?
4th Amendment to the Bill of Rights.
READ it.
UNDERSTAND it.

Are you sure you understand it? At a police DUI checkpoint the police are neither searching not seizing your vehicle.

Back