Kingdoms of Amalur, hidden Gem of E3 for open world rpg fans.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
So for the most part E3 didn't really have many surprises in terms of new/heard of games.

However this game really sparked my interest some. One of the key developers was the lead designer of both Morrowind and Oblivion.

It is trying to make combat more hands on with the player but also keeping plenty of choice for rpgs fans. The amount of skills you can develop and cahnge your character is quite nice. Combat looks quite fun actually, especially how easy it seems to be able to take on groups and how fluid it works.

A nice long E3 demo that shows a lot of the game, from it's gameplay/quests/rpg aspects and things:

[ame="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-kingdoms-of/716057"]Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning Video Game, E3 2011: Extended Demo Walkthrough (Stream) | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com[/ame]

Then an interview from the lead designer (guy sounds like a trip lol):
[ame="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-kingdoms-of/716045"]Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning Video Game, E3 2011: Combat Interview HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com[/ame]

Really looking forward to this game now, best surprise of E3 for me.

There's been bits of info here and there throughout the year. 38 Studios is Curt Schilling's company (he was a pretty famous baseball player). He has been an avid gamer for a long time (MMOs and such), and he had all this money, so he wanted to try to make some games that he and others would like.

I didn't have much hope for the game at first, but a lot of the gameplay videos actually look pretty decent so far, so it's definitely on my radar.

I'd really enjoy an openworld game with good combat. The combat in Morrowind/Oblivion was always kind of stiff and boring.

Having it from a first person perspective would be even better imo. I didn't watch the video yet, but this sounds exciting.

Yeah the combat looks like a major change as far as most rpgs go, no die rolls to hit, no standing around and hitting "specials" (IE MMO style combat). It looks very fluid, almost God of War style.

Also of note, yeah it's Curt Schilling's company but they also had RA Salvatore (The famous writer) write a ton of history and mythology for the world that the game is set in, so that's a major plus too,

I'll admit I had my doubts before watching the video (I've always kind of laughed at Curt Schilling for having a game company). However, I was actually pretty impressed after I watched the demo. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one now. From what I can see, the game looks like it is going to be designed around playing with a controller instead of kb/mouse....not necessarily a bad thing with this style of combat (probably the correct choice actually), but that may turn a lot of people on this forum away (ZOMG CONSOLIZED GARBAGE etc).

Last edited:
I always look out for stuff like this. Dark horses. Wild cards. Things that get little to no coverage and I'm glad someone finally something like that and made a thread for it like this one. :)

Official site: http://reckoningthegame.com/ag

Game Informer – Nominee: Best RPG
Gamespy – Nominee: Best RPG
G4TV – Nominee: Best RPG
IGN – Nominee: Best RPG
1Up.com – Nominee: Best RPG
RipTen – Nominee: Best RPG
GamesRadar – Nominee: Most Valuable Game Award

Probably a day one buy for me here.

I don't see an approximate release yet. Are they shooting for this year or 2012?

I also see that, unsurprisingly, it's a multiplatform title FWIW.

Last edited:
Watched the videos... this looks brilliant!

I don't know how I missed this one, but definitely tagged it as a "must follow".

They had me at, "You can tag items in your inventory as "junk" when you get them, and then sell them in one swoop at a merchant."

Looks like it's being designed as cross-platform friendly, but what isn't these days. I would love a game that potentially plays this well and pushes my hardware to its knees because of features.

I saw this on the show floor.. one of the BEST games I saw. And want to hear something crazy? I'm more excited for this than Skyrim.. :eek:

Bumping this thread because.. well, it deserves it. Those of you who did not know of this game, now you do. I saw first hand both this and Skyrim at E3 and I enjoyed what I saw from this more than Skyrim.. /hides.

Also, the best way to describe this is a hardcore RPG Fable.. in a sense.. without all the broken promises or gimmicky features. Reckoning has this flair about its artstyle, fairy tale in nature with a dark overtone.. a serious Fable. It looks beautiful in motion and the animations really did put Skyrim to shame.

Skyrim still looks rad, but after looking at Reckoning I can assure you that one can clearly identify all the limitations of Bethesda's Creation engine used for Skyrim. Creation was built from Gamebryo which as we all know is archaic. All the flaws and linked flaws of Gamebryo in Creation become easily identifiable after watching Reckoning in motion.

Look at this game, remember this game.

Check out the PAX East videos from here - lot's of gameplay shown with commentary from the developers:

http://www.youtube.com/ReckoningTheGame

I really like the look of the environments from this one that start at about the 40 second mark:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dd2iQ-Yi-Jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because.. well, it deserves it. Those of you who did not know of this game, now you do. I saw first hand both this and Skyrim at E3 and I enjoyed what I saw from this more than Skyrim.. /hides.

Also, the best way to describe this is a hardcore RPG Fable.. in a sense.. without all the broken promises or gimmicky features. Reckoning has this flair about its artstyle, fairy tale in nature with a dark overtone.. a serious Fable. It looks beautiful in motion and the animations really did put Skyrim to shame.

Skyrim still looks rad, but after looking at Reckoning I can assure you that one can clearly identify all the limitations of Bethesda's Creation engine used for Skyrim. Creation was built from Gamebryo which as we all know is archaic. All the flaws and linked flaws of Gamebryo in Creation become easily identifiable after watching Reckoning in motion.

I am looking forward to both of these games. Since KoA:R comes out sometime next year I should have my vanilla playthrough of Skyrim done well before this comes out.

Woah, agreed with those above, looks like it's definitely heading in the right direction! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

I am looking forward to both of these games. Since KoA:R comes out sometime next year I should have my vanilla playthrough of Skyrim done well before this comes out.

Indeed. It'll work out nicely. :)

Looks great so far. Love the music, too.

So this is "Copernicus" by Curt Schilling's 38 Studios ? I thought it was an MMO in third person like EverQuest, and following the WOW gameplay ?

So this is "Copernicus" by Curt Schilling's 38 Studios ? I thought it was an MMO in third person like EverQuest, and following the WOW gameplay ?

I'm thrilled to see that it isn't any of those things.

No, this is not that game. They are making that as well, this is the single player rpg they are making, set in the same world.

It takes place about 200 years before the mmo does.

I'm not really a fan of the high fantasy, over the top art direction. Otherwise, this seems like it could be really fun.

They had me at, "You can tag items in your inventory as "junk" when you get them, and then sell them in one swoop at a merchant."

So simple, yet so perfect.

Check out the PAX East videos from here - lot's of gameplay shown with commentary from the developers:

http://www.youtube.com/ReckoningTheGame

I really like the look of the environments from this one that start at about the 40 second mark:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dd2iQ-Yi-Jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek: :D :cool:

This game looks unreal. Is there CoOp to play with your buddies or single player only ?

I just watched this and the game does look very good but I disagree about a few of your points. In my opinion Skyrims graphics and style are more realistic while Reckoning is more about stylized graphics and animations, both are very good at what they are trying to accomplish however my personal taste still tends to go torwards Skyrim.

Saying that this game looks fantastic, combat looks like it will be a lot of fun and I've always liked open world RPG's. I'm pretty sure I will be buying this game next year perhaps even pre-order it if I'm not too busy playing Skyrim to notice it's release date. :p

It's on PC, 360 & PS3.

Just saw this statement about it, wow...

"38 Studios founder Curt Schilling said that the style of the game would be a marriage between God of War and Oblivion"

It's on PC, 360 & PS3.

That means temper your expectations folks. ;)

Just saw this statement about it, wow...

"38 Studios founder Curt Schilling said that the style of the game would be a marriage between God of War and Oblivion"

That's pretty wild to contemplate. Hopefully they don't go too far with any kind of button mashing concepts which is the first thing I think of when someone mentions God of War.

Looking forward to more details. :)

It's going to be single player only according to Curt when he was asked about it.

I just watched this and the game does look very good but I disagree about a few of your points. In my opinion Skyrims graphics and style are more realistic while Reckoning is more about stylized graphics and animations, both are very good at what they are trying to accomplish however my personal taste still tends to go torwards Skyrim.

Saying that this game looks fantastic, combat looks like it will be a lot of fun and I've always liked open world RPG's. I'm pretty sure I will be buying this game next year perhaps even pre-order it if I'm not too busy playing Skyrim to notice it's release date. :p

Actually you do bring up good points. Skyrim is much more realistic where Reckoning is more stylized. I much prefer the stylized look but will still be playing me some Skyrim too.

That's pretty wild to contemplate. Hopefully they don't go too far with any kind of button mashing concepts which is the first thing I think of when someone mentions God of War.

Looking forward to more details. :)

This is not a bad thing, Darksiders pulled it off, albeit, it was not Oblivion, but a cross of Zelda and God of War.

It's not so much the concept behind it, because no matter what concept you use, it has to be executed properly to have the desired effect.

So, if it turns out to have some of the best of Oblivion and God of War, I'm sure it'll make for a good game.

This is coming from someone who liked Dante's Inferno in spite of all the criticism of that game as a "God of War" clone.

This is not a bad thing, Darksiders pulled it off, albeit, it was not Oblivion, but a cross of Zelda and God of War.

It's not so much the concept behind it, because no matter what concept you use, it has to be executed properly to have the desired effect.

So, if it turns out to have some of the best of Oblivion and God of War, I'm sure it'll make for a good game.

This is coming from someone who liked Dante's Inferno in spite of all the criticism of that game as a "God of War" clone.

I liked dante's inferno too. Also hated Morrowind/Oblivion so I will not be playing Skyrim. Too slow paced, and open world for me.

I liked dante's inferno too. Also hated Morrowind/Oblivion so I will not be playing Skyrim. Too slow paced, and open world for me.

I thought Oblivion and Fallout 3 were garbage and could never narrow it down, but I loved Diablo, WoW (at the time ;)), The Witcher, Mass Effect and the Dragon Knight Saga (which is based on Gamebryo) so it's not the engine there is just something about their games that fucking suck.

I really think it was just their world locations which amounted to a valley with trees and a grey pit of concrete.

Last edited:

That sounds good to me. What I've seen so far with this has me expecting something pretty good. :)

Back