Sandy bridge vs Lynnfield Benchmarks

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Well i recently upgraded from an i5 760 to an i5 2500k. I ran the 760 at 4ghz which seems to be about on par for that processor. Right now I am running the 2500k at 4.7ghz. I decided to do a few benchmarks before and after the upgrade. I kind of just picked an area in each game and played through it a few times. All of the results were within a couple fps of each other so I kind of just picked the average of each group. Here is what I saw.

Every game was run at 1920x1200 with 6950 crossfire. The only game that I didn't run maxed out is GTA4 and I'm not even sure why I ran it at all since the game plays awfully on ATI hardware. Darkplaces and Fallout New Vegas are using a few mods.

i5760vsi52500k.png

All of those benchmarks are done with 6950 crossfire. This is what I just saw on the same sandy bridge system with a single GTX570.

2011-06-14 18:27:57 - GTAIV
Frames: 14244 - Time: 217683ms - Avg: 65.435 - Min: 49 - Max: 90

2011-06-14 18:33:58 - darkplaces
Frames: 34391 - Time: 216124ms - Avg: 159.126 - Min: 61 - Max: 313

2011-06-14 18:39:39 - SamHD
Frames: 16514 - Time: 180400ms - Avg: 91.541 - Min: 65 - Max: 139

2011-06-14 18:57:44 - FalloutNV
Frames: 12944 - Time: 152444ms - Avg: 84.910 - Min: 62 - Max: 95

This is why I miss Nvidia.

Last edited:
Yeah, I forgot that I don't have my system specs listed here. I am using 6950 crossfire.

Thanks for not being a prick about it. :rolleyes:

no Bad Company 2 comparison? That game seems the pickiest when it comes to CPU architecture

no Bad Company 2 comparison? That game seems the pickiest when it comes to CPU architecture

The main thing is how do you benchmark that? Honestly who plays the single player and there are just way to many variables when trying to bench the multiplayer. Don't people get a little tired of seeing the same benchmarks anyways?

the 2500k is a superior processor no doubt, seems that gaming is pretty similar on both tho...

p.s. very nice graphs! clean and easy to read, well done!

the 2500k is a superior processor no doubt, seems that gaming is pretty similar on both tho...

p.s. very nice graphs! clean and easy to read, well done!

When overclocked yeah, the difference really isn't all that big. I did a couple of before and after overclocking benchmarks on both cpus and I did notice a bigger improvement when overclocking Lynnfield.

Last edited:
Here is what I saw when going from an I7 860 from stock speeds to a 3.6ghz overclock. This was done a while ago with a different video card so its not really comparable to the benches in the op. In the case of Darkplaces without Pretty water which causes a massive performance hit. It does look good though.

i7860ocvsstock.png

Here is a before and after with my new 2500k.

2500kstockvsoc.png

Last edited:
Nice graphs. Easy to understand, nice on the eyes and pleasant to read.

Good job and thanks for the benchies!

Nice, seems like for gaming overclocking the new sandys really isnt essential. Not until they start to bottleneck videocards.....which should be a little while from now i suppose

All of those benchmarks are done with 6950 crossfire. This is what I just saw on the same sandy bridge system with a single GTX570.

2011-06-14 18:27:57 - GTAIV
Frames: 14244 - Time: 217683ms - Avg: 65.435 - Min: 49 - Max: 90

2011-06-14 18:33:58 - darkplaces
Frames: 34391 - Time: 216124ms - Avg: 159.126 - Min: 61 - Max: 313

2011-06-14 18:39:39 - SamHD
Frames: 16514 - Time: 180400ms - Avg: 91.541 - Min: 65 - Max: 139

2011-06-14 18:57:44 - FalloutNV
Frames: 12944 - Time: 152444ms - Avg: 84.910 - Min: 62 - Max: 95

This is why I miss Nvidia.

Last edited:
Thanks for the benches. Now I don't feel so bad about passing on SB as far as gaming is concerned.

Surprised to see lower scores. I didn't expected big gains, but losses seems strange.

I ran through each area multiple times and as far as max fps goes the two traded blows since thats where it was gpu related. Minimum and average framerates were consistent in every run. Sandybridge didn't see any losses. I probably shouldn't have listed max fps. Most review sites that don't use a canned bench don't list the max fps for the same reason. With a cpu upgrade minimum fps is the biggest improvement and I was a bit surprised at how much of a difference that I saw with the average framerate in these games.

If you look at the average and minimum framerates sandy outperformced Lynnfield across the board. You have to remember that max fps is just the time that it takes to render one frame.

I ran through each area multiple times and as far as max fps goes the two traded blows since thats where it was gpu related. Minimum and average framerates were consistent in every run. Sandybridge didn't see any losses. I probably shouldn't have listed max fps. Most review sites that don't use a canned bench don't list the max fps for the same reason. With a cpu upgrade minimum fps is the biggest improvement and I was a bit surprised at how much of a difference that I saw with the average framerate in these games.

If you look at the average and minimum framerates sandy outperformced Lynnfield across the board. You have to remember that max fps is just the time that it takes to render one frame.

Ah, you're right - I'm so used to just reading the topline number at work that I didn't process that it was max FPS.

Ah, you're right - I'm so used to just reading the topline number at work that I didn't process that it was max FPS.

Yeah, it feels like the results are invalidated when a single GTX570 demolished the 6950 crossfire setup in every one of those games except for Crysis.

Awesome benches. Thanks for them. Can't wait to see what Ivy Bridge brings to the table. The rumors are saying 30% performances increases and 50% less power used (source here, see number 4). Of course, that's Intel's speculation, but who knows. Tri-gate may truly kick that much ass.

um.... ok....

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/299?vs=306

I am confused here... how does a GTX570 demolish a 6950CFX setup again?

In three of the games that I listed, I didn't say that is the case across the board. Stop getting so defensive about your hardware. I can link you to a review where a 6950 gets out performed by a GTX280 in a couple of games. I don't care which flavor of the month title runs better. Yeah Crysis runs great on AMD cards but it also artifacts with AA, not the only game that I've seen strange artifacts or texture shimmering, the lack of transparency AA in DX10 and 11 bothers me.

Until you have personally used both cards its hard to make an assumption based on some numbers that you see in a benchmark. I just find the performance on Nvidia's cards to be a bit more reliable.

im sorry but theirs no way a 280 gtx will out perform a 6950unlees the game is just buggy as hell and a 6950cf will wipe the floor of a 570gtx. i have a 6950cf setup and every thing plays smooth on it the only game that played like shit was the witcher 2 till amd got a driver update out

im sorry but theirs no way a 280 gtx will out perform a 6950unlees the game is just buggy as hell and a 6950cf will wipe the floor of a 570gtx. i have a 6950cf setup and every thing plays smooth on it the only game that played like shit was the witcher 2 till amd got a driver update out

You can't always blame the game. No game is written with crossfire in mind, its AMD's job to make that work. If you were to actually read the link you might also see that I said 6950 and not crossfire but still a GTX280. In the case of NWN2 I can vouch for that.

I'm not trying to start a flame war. I understand that you like your card but AMD does have issues with certain titles and I have provided numbers and links. I could never understand why some people seem to get personally offended when any flaw is mentioned about a piece of hardware that they might own.

You can't always blame the game. No game is written with crossfire in mind, its AMD's job to make that work. If you were to actually read the link you might also see that I said 6950 and not crossfire but still a GTX280. In the case of NWN2 I can vouch for that.

I'm not trying to start a flame war. I understand that you like your card but AMD does have issues with certain titles and I have provided numbers and links. I could never understand why some people seem to get personally offended when any flaw is mentioned about a piece of hardware that they might own.

Come on dude, it's not hard to understand. You are basically telling someone that the piece of hardware they purchased has flaws and that, at least in some circumstances, another piece of hardware that was available at the same time performs better. In most people's minds, that brings into question their decision making ability. Especially considering the amount of time most people spend researching their purchase. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but people tend not to like being told they are wrong. About anything. Ever. You know I'm right. Don't even try to argue with me here. Seriously. DON'T. I'LL FUC.... Sorry. Sorry. Lost my temper there for a second.

Anyway, even though that likely wasn't your intent, it's obviously going to be taken that way by a good number of people (especially on the internet), at least subconsciously. Welcome to the Human race my friend. We may be fickle, but at least we have beer. And Football. Nachos are pretty good too. ;)

Oh, right. Thanks for the benches. They are appreciated.

Come on dude, it's not hard to understand. You are basically telling someone that the piece of hardware they purchased has flaws and that, at least in some circumstances, another piece of hardware that was available at the same time performs better. In most people's minds, that brings into question their decision making ability. Especially considering the amount of time most people spend researching their purchase. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but people tend not to like being told they are wrong. About anything. Ever. You know I'm right. Don't even try to argue with me here. Seriously. DON'T. I'LL FUC.... Sorry. Sorry. Lost my temper there for a second.

Anyway, even though that likely wasn't your intent, it's obviously going to be taken that way by a good number of people (especially on the internet), at least subconsciously. Welcome to the Human race my friend. We may be fickle, but at least we have beer. And Football. Nachos are pretty good too. ;)

Oh, right. Thanks for the benches. They are appreciated.

:D You are 100% right.

Back