TV above fireplace... where do you mount your other hardware?

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
We're looking to mount a TV above our fireplace. The question is, where should I put the DVR box and blue ray player? Where do you guys place yours?

Pictures would be great as well! Thanks!!! :)

Remote location with long hdmi or balun and rf based universal remote. Do this all the time for customers.

If you use your fireplace often it can lead to premature TV failure. The wall behind the TV will heat up quite a bit whenever the fireplace is on, which will add to the heat already coming off the TV. If you still want to keep the TV mounted above the fireplace then you need to drill a hole and try to run a single HDMI cable up to your TV. You can then place your equipment in a cabinet on the floor or even in another room if you have a RF remote. The other consideration is how to get power to the TV (see links below). Also, keep in mind when your are running power and HDMI to the TV you will be stringing cable through the fireplace chase so you want to keep cables as far away from the actual sheetmetal flu as possible. I would consider hiring a professional to install the TV.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you take my advice and apply it.

Paid Service for Installed Power Solution
http://www.zipinstallation.com/Electrical_Outlet_Relocation_kit_by_Zip_Express_p/dcoutletrelo.htm

User Installed Power Solution
http://www.ramelectronics.net/manufacturers/powerbridge/c90037.html

Above fireplace is not ergonomically friendly, IMO; do you specifically want it there or is it because of space constraints?

If you put it above the fireplace make sure you have a tilt feature. The ideal TV placement is aligning the middle of the screen vertically with your eye level when sitting on a couch.

Remote location with long hdmi or balun and rf based universal remote. Do this all the time for customers.
Alright thanks!
If you use your fireplace often it can lead to premature TV failure. The wall behind the TV will heat up quite a bit whenever the fireplace is on, which will add to the heat already coming off the TV. If you still want to keep the TV mounted above the fireplace then you need to drill a hole and try to run a single HDMI cable up to your TV. You can then place your equipment in a cabinet on the floor or even in another room if you have a RF remote. The other consideration is how to get power to the TV (see links below). Also, keep in mind when your are running power and HDMI to the TV you will be stringing cable through the fireplace chase so you want to keep cables as far away from the actual sheetmetal flu as possible. I would consider hiring a professional to install the TV.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you take my advice and apply it.

Paid Service for Installed Power Solution
http://www.zipinstallation.com/Electrical_Outlet_Relocation_kit_by_Zip_Express_p/dcoutletrelo.htm

User Installed Power Solution
http://www.ramelectronics.net/manufacturers/powerbridge/c90037.html
I was told about something regarding the mantel and if it has a large enough over hang, it will be okay for a TV.
Above fireplace is not ergonomically friendly, IMO; do you specifically want it there or is it because of space constraints?
We specifically want it there.
If you put it above the fireplace make sure you have a tilt feature. The ideal TV placement is aligning the middle of the screen vertically with your eye level when sitting on a couch.
Thanks for the info!

Also, we already have two power outlets on the mantel.

tv above fireplace absolutely sucks. my bro did that, and it sucks every time I go other there and watch tv. having head tilted up is not natural and becomes annoying after a while. and you want to do it forever.

My fiance is an interior designer and I made her promise to never recommend that to a client.

tv above fireplace absolutely sucks. my bro did that, and it sucks every time I go other there and watch tv. having head tilted up is not natural and becomes annoying after a while. and you want to do it forever.

the worst "common" place to mount a tv

My fiance is an interior designer and I made her promise to never recommend that to a client.

Well it seems to be a good spot in my home. lol

Yeah, I'm not trying to crap on your parade, was just making sure you knew before you did. It's your home. :)

To explain a bit more, the reason it is ergonomically unfriendly is because you have to tilt your head up to watch it. For maximum comfort, you always want to have your head slightly tilted downward. So many people, whom have their monitors jacked up on shelves and mounts that are high enough to make them arc their neck upwards are also not in the optimal position.

I guess the only way to mitigate some of the discomfort is to make sure you have an extra loungy couch that you can sink back into so much that it cradles your head when you are looking up at the TV.

Yeah, I'm not trying to crap on your parade, was just making sure you knew before you did. It's your home. :)

To explain a bit more, the reason it is ergonomically unfriendly is because you have to tilt your head up to watch it. For maximum comfort, you always want to have your head slightly tilted downward. So many people, whom have their monitors jacked up on shelves and mounts that are high enough to make them arc their neck upwards are also not in the optimal position.

I guess the only way to mitigate some of the discomfort is to make sure you have an extra loungy couch that you can sink back into so much that it cradles your head when you are looking up at the TV.

I support this answer. I lived in a house with a 50" plasma above the fireplace for several years and the mounting bracket had a tilt feature which helped alot, but if you dont have a nice couch to rest your head on your neck will get sore in short order looking up at the TV. One nice thing about a TV above the fireplace is if you have an open concept house with the living, dining, and kitchen all in the same large room you can see the TV from pretty much any position. Some houses have no other place to put a large flat screen except above the fireplace because some homes have built-in cabinets designed for older CRT TV's.

Back