Compression Fittings

aphasia

[H]ard|Gawd
i've been looking at compression fittings to replace some of the barbs in my water cooling loop for my next upgrade. i've been using standard nozzles and worm clamps for years without a problem. i reckon the water in my loop hasn't been exposed to air for at least 2 years. i could have quite easily stuck with nozzles and clamps but wanted a cleaner look.

anyway i couldn't find much in the way of info or reviews on many of the major brands (bitspower, koolance, enzotech, dangerden etc). so i went ahead i bought a bunch of fittings, a combination of bitspower, enzotech and koolance (QDCs). i'm only looking at the bitspower and enzotech as i've yet to receive my koolance fittings.

Bitspower (left) & EnzoTech (right) Compression Fittings - Clearly see size difference.
BP_enzo_fitting.png

BP_enzo_fitting2.png

BP_enzo_fitting3.png

i was a little worried after my initial impression.

both sets of fittings are for 1/2 inch ID | 3/4 inch OD and have noticed the following;
(note i'm using clearflex 60 1/2inch ID | 3/4 inch OD tubing)

-the bitspower have a slightly larger diameter inside the barb (approx 12mm)
-the enzotech have a smaller diameter insider the barb (approx 9mm)
-the tube is a little more difficult to fit onto the BP barb (good) compared to the enzotech fitting (bad)
-i wasn't able to tighten the sleeve all the way to the nut (good) on the BP fitting but was able to on the enzotech (bad)
-on both fittings with tubing installed, i was able to bend the hose in on itself and pull (working my way around the fitting) until it popped out of the fitting. tho it was harder with the BP fitting
-just pulling the hose straight out i wasn't able to remove the hose from the BP fitting (good) but was able to with the enzotech (bad).

now i haven't used the fittings on loop with water in it yet, just on off-cuts of 1/2 ID tubing. based on playing with the fittings on hand, the enzotech fittings are inferior and wouldn't trust them on my loop. perhaps the enzotech fittings are meant for thicker-walled tubing or 7/16 ID tube despite the fact the packets are clearly labelled for 1/2 ID - 3/4 OD hose. also the enzotech are a little more restrictive based on the inner diameter of the nozzles. this alone seems to negate whatever benefit 1/2ID tubing brings especially if you use their compression fittings on each component (res, pump, rad, blocks etc).

another thing i didn't expect was the weight of the fittings. a single bitspower compression fitting (as shown in pic) weighs approx 50 grams.

based on my limited time with these fittings, it's made me pause. i can see that the bp fittings are of solid construction and quality tho the knurling tends to leave your fingers a bit raw after tightening. i am somewhat worried about being able to pull tubing off the fitting (tho much more difficult with the bp fitting.

am i stressing over this too much? what are other members experiences with compression fittings? also if anyone has any good linkages to a fittings review or comparison site(s), please share.

Bitspower is the way to roll for fittings imo.

yeah i'm beginning to see why BP are so wide spread in the WC community despite their cost. they (BP) don't do QDCs as far as i can tell, seems koolance is the only game in town for these.

I use BitsPower exclusively.

I have a ton, all different shapes, angles, you name it.

Been reused a bunch.

Never a leak, ever.

You buy cheap, you get cheap.;)

My choice for purchases of BP fittings: Sidewinder, the end.:D

Add a vote for bp compression fittings. I have installed 2 of them on my gpu block for a better look and they work fine, Very snug and I am not worried about a leak at all.

I just got a bunch of new parts and im really happy after reading this that they are bp compression fittings lol

i just built a WC system with all BP fittings, and no leaks whatsoever. Expensive, but awesome.

One thing I've learned most definitely in this hobby is you get what you pay for.

Back