Curious About Chrome OS? Install It Yourself

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I guess to be a true computer geek, you have to be willing to go the extra mile to try out something new. Such is the case if you are really curious about Google’s Chrome OS. It’s not as easy as throwing on a copy of Windows 7, but where’s the fun in that? :D

You can run it on a laptop or desktop with a conventional hard drive, but in my own experience it clearly does better with SSDs.

I'm sticking with Linux, I'm interested in the Linux Chrome OS build, however.

Don't understand why anyone would want to take away functionality from a laptop by installing/purchasing chrome os.

I really do not understand the purpose of a dumb terminal client like Chrome OS.

ExtremeTech put up their guide online a couple of weeks ago so might want to check that out as well if interested in this topic. Like most things in life, Chrome OS has both its pros and cons.. it isn't going to be everything to everybody but am sure it has its place especially for people looking for new things to hack and play with. And since it is free, can't complain about the price.

I really do not understand the purpose of a dumb terminal client like Chrome OS.

Seriously?

The WORLD is becoming dumbed-down.

Consoles, iOS, Netbooks..

We're headed towards a future where "hardcore" refers only to sex.

Another in a long line of thin-clients that will probably gain little traction. Why would I want my desktop or laptop to be LESS powerful than my phone?

Okay, let me explain, after using my CR48 for a bit now...

when it says Chrome OS... it means.... Chrome OS. Nothing... NOTHING is on this except for Chrome. Even the settings is in a tab, and there aren't that many, either. EVERYTHING, is based around Chrome. The "addons and extensions" are... Chrome addons and extensions.

Seriously?

Bad examples. Cellphones and smartphones are supposed to be simple because you're supposed to be able to use them on the move. Windows Mobile 6.x and prior found out the hard way.

Windows 7 and prior is the same as it's always been providing experience for old/hardcore and new users alike. Ditto various Linux flavors. Ditto MacOS.

ChromeOS is simply giving us another option. Nobody's cramming it down our throats.

Bad examples. Cellphones and smartphones are supposed to be simple because you're supposed to be able to use them on the move.

But smart phones are more powerful than Chrome OS, it is essentially Browser-In-A-Box OS.Not saying that's a bad thing but it's the kind of thing that sounds better than it actually is and there's a lot history in thin-clients demonstrating this point. Not saying it can't have it's uses however.

Another in a long line of thin-clients that will probably gain little traction. Why would I want my desktop or laptop to be LESS powerful than my phone?
Can Google data mine you phone? Didn't think so!

But smart phones are more powerful than Chrome OS, it is essentially Browser-In-A-Box OS.Not saying that's a bad thing but it's the kind of thing that sounds better than it actually is and there's a lot history in thin-clients demonstrating this point. Not saying it can't have it's uses however.

Yeah I don't dispute that. I'm just saying that using cellphones and smartphones as examples of dumbing down technology is a bad idea. It's not supposed to be complicated.

I suppose ChromeOS might be a great replacement for Fisher Price's OS in My First Laptop. :D

If someone can get F@H working on it, and it performs noticably better than Windows, then that'd be worth something to me.

Seriously?

A dumb terminal or a win term still gives you access to the host os fuctionality/applications, chrome os is only a browser. Consoles can be a parallel if you consider them task specific hardware and you can't expand on that list of tasks yourself. Netbooks, iOS and android have applications to accomplish complex tasks I can't do in a browser only. You can code more applications to expand those platforms. Sure you can probably code websites to run all the potential apps like iOS initially tried to.. But that shit sucks doesn't scale and how do you create revenue? In other words the world is not becoming dumbed-down it's a lot more complex yet accessible at the same time.

Bad examples. Cellphones and smartphones are supposed to be simple because you're supposed to be able to use them on the move. Windows Mobile 6.x and prior found out the hard way.

Windows 7 and prior is the same as it's always been providing experience for old/hardcore and new users alike. Ditto various Linux flavors. Ditto MacOS.

ChromeOS is simply giving us another option. Nobody's cramming it down our throats.

I don't agree. Linux distributions are getting dumbed down. Look at what's happening with Ubuntu, or other distributions. They are all getting dumbed down. "Hardcore" distributions such as Gentoo have been falling out of flavor for the last 5-6 years.

Look at what's happening with Gnome or KDE. Their new versions are both getting simplified. They no longer cater to desktop audience. They aim for simplicity.

I don't agree. Linux distributions are getting dumbed down. Look at what's happening with Ubuntu, or other distributions. They are all getting dumbed down. "Hardcore" distributions such as Gentoo have been falling out of flavor for the last 5-6 years.

Look at what's happening with Gnome or KDE. Their new versions are both getting simplified. They no longer cater to desktop audience. They aim for simplicity.

There are over 200 Linux distribution. How the hell can you judge Linux by basing dumbing-down on a mere 1 or 2 distribution?

Yeah ok, Ubuntu is bcoming more popular, but how much more popular is Linux becoming based on Unbuntu compared to the continuance of Linux's populace based on it's loyalty to it's roots? Maybe it's trying to tell you something?

Not everyone wants to be programmers, you know.

I will be trying it in a VM. Probably not worth the experience without a laptop designed for it though.

I will be trying it in a VM. Probably not worth the experience without a laptop designed for it though.

Me as well. Might be good to throw on a computer I have laying around for a friend in need.

Chrome OS is total fail, I can't believe that Google spend so much time and money on this.

Back