Does The Witcher 2 require a CD to play?

There is installation online activation, but being online continuosly and cd in the drive is not required, if I understand correctly

Yup, install, activate online then it doesn't require the disk to be in the drive.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a retail copy of the game. The game actually needs a CD in the drive just to run the launcher. After the game is launched, the CD can be removed. Also, my brother and I can play the game at the same time on different computers even with just a single copy. I've heard that you are allowed two credits (two computers) simultaneously. So I'm using Disc 1 and he is using Disc 2 to launch the game.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a retail copy of the game. The game actually needs a CD in the drive just to run the launcher. After the game is launched, the CD can be removed. Also, my brother and I can play the game at the same time on different computers even with just a single copy. I've heard that you are allowed two credits (two computers) simultaneously. So I'm using Disc 1 and he is using Disc 2 to launch the game.

Five at one time, not two.

That's odd... I dont need the CD in there even to start the launcher. I installed the game, removed the disks and have started and stopped the launcher many times without putting the CD back in.

That's odd... I dont need the CD in there even to start the launcher. I installed the game, removed the disks and have started and stopped the launcher many times without putting the CD back in.

Did you do "Easy" or "Custom" install? I did "Easy" so maybe that's why it did not install all the files into HDD?

Did you do "Easy" or "Custom" install? I did "Easy" so maybe that's why it did not install all the files into HDD?

Perhaps, I always do custom installs because I use an SSD and need to specify to install on my secondary HDD.

The game is on 2 CDs? Gawd its taking way way too long for pc games to use DVDs. When Install HL2 ive gotta load it from 7 different cd roms which is super annoying.

I bought the retail version, and after installation it does not require the disc to be in the drive. Further, my activation says "Unlimited: you may install on as many PCs as often as you like."

It came on two DVD9 discs.

I don't use the disc at all.

The game is on 2 CDs? Gawd its taking way way too long for pc games to use DVDs. When Install HL2 ive gotta load it from 7 different cd roms which is super annoying.

Sorry we are just using CD as some sort of generic term... they are actually DVDs, lol. One DVD has about 8.4GB of data and the other has around 5.4GB data.

I dont know of any recent games that still use CDs.

Good to hear, since Amazon is now selling it for $35 ($45 with a $10 gift certificate). I was hesitant to buy it if I had to put the disc in all the time.

Good to hear, since Amazon is now selling it for $35 ($45 with a $10 gift certificate). I was hesitant to buy it if I had to put the disc in all the time.

I did the same deal. My copy arrived yesterday and its 2 dvd.s that dont need to be in drive to run game or launcher.

Back