Duke Nukem Foreveer PC Gamer - 1999

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking forward to dnf when I first read this preview... 12yrs ago :D

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

Last edited:
wow $8.99 for a magazine. i thought those were expensive these days.

I think I remember seeing that issue in stores. Win a job at Ion Storm, wow the haydays of gaming mags.

A few years ago I had to make the sacrifice of tossing out several years worth of PC gamer from late 90's to early 2000's.

that brings me back to the old day's, i miss the old days, tech is moving to fast.

Agreed, but at least in those days they were big magazines! PC Gamer and Gamepro were both magazines that used to be absolute monsters, but have since slimmed down significantly.

Agreed, but at least in those days they were big magazines! PC Gamer and Gamepro were both magazines that used to be absolute monsters, but have since slimmed down significantly.

I'd argue that GamePro is many magnitudes better these days than it was in the late 90s, but yes. A lot of magazines at that time also shipped with demo discs so they could get away with charging more for those along with the larger issues that had a lot less ads in them.

I still have that issue somewhere, along with PC gamers PC Builders Bible from 1999 featuring Kyle. Talk about a trip back in time :eek:

I have the magazine at my parents house along with every other PC gamer from 1997 till like 2010 some time.

I took gamepro during nearly all of the 90's...that maginzine was awesome.

But now everthing is on the net well before it is printed.

PC Gamer came with demo discs so they were always a little more expensive. I think you could get a non-disc version for normal price which back then was I think around $4-$5 per magazine if bought at the store.

Those demo discs were fun; that was probably one of the best way to get new game demos back then.

I think I have that issue laying around somewhere too. Been a PC Gamer reader since at least 98-99. Probably in a box in the attic or something.

That makes me miss good gaming magazines.
CGW, PC Accelerator, old PC Gamer, that weren't afraid to print an 8 or 10 page, several thousand word interview or editorial that showed real thought, interest and care. A form that lent itself to focusing on elements with depth or substance (yes I had using those terms when referring to video games but simply to contrast the style to that most of the minute 1 reviews published online) that left you feeling informed and interested.

Yes, yes yes, my lawn; get off it.

That was my first issue of PC Gamer! It was one hella thick magazine...

We used to pay $15-25 for European Amiga magazines back in the early to mid 90's.
They also came with a Floppy with demos or utilities as well.

That makes me miss good gaming magazines.
CGW, PC Accelerator, old PC Gamer, that weren't afraid to print an 8 or 10 page, several thousand word interview or editorial that showed real thought, interest and care. A form that lent itself to focusing on elements with depth or substance (yes I had using those terms when referring to video games but simply to contrast the style to that most of the minute 1 reviews published online) that left you feeling informed and interested.

Yes, yes yes, my lawn; get off it.

I'm with you. That's why I read Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

LoL iv been waiting for this since 97 so what 13-14 years, I have even started to get grey hair i know sad =D

Here in the UK it was all about PC Zone. Still cant believe its gone, though it was like a zombie for the last couple of years.

Love the demo CDs, broadband wasn't prevalent during that time so one of the main ways of obtaining one was from a magazine. The other way was from a retailer who sold them for a nominal cheap price. And back then, demos (also known as shareware) actually had a lot of content for its price. The Doom shareware was roughly one-third of the full game with no time limit LAN gaming goodness, thats incredibly generous by today's money first standards.

Back