Just purchased two HP 2511x's

jsteinm1

Weaksauce
After much searching, I finally ordered two HP 2511x's, it was the glossy screen that was the final decision maker for me. I ordered direct from HP over the phone, they have a bundle package thats a bit cheaper, and I got them to take an extra $50 so they were $510 w/ free shipping. I'll let you guys know what I think next week when I get them!

Let me know if you can figure out a way to get them to go on a VESA mount. Only thing keeping me from buying one.

Do you know if their 2711x are also glossy screens?

did you bother to check out newegg.com for pricing? They are out of stock on them now but yesterday (when i got there email about saving on HP LED) they had them for about $230 shipped.

Let me know if you can figure out a way to get them to go on a VESA mount. Only thing keeping me from buying one.

I can take a look. If you are ok with CCFL, the 2509B was a solid monitor as well i think and is VESA mountable, they are also quite cheap. I find the newer model to look better and I wanted the LED, so I went that route. In searching, I found that Office Max here carries the 2509B if you want to look at it, and Staples carries the 2311X, which may be similar in the back to check potential mounting.

Do you know if their 2711x are also glossy screens?
I am about 98% positive they are, but don't blindly order it on my word. The 23" and lower are not glossy I know. If amazon or newegg has product listings just read though reviews, thats how I determined if the 2511x was glossy.

did you bother to check out newegg.com for pricing? They are out of stock on them now but yesterday (when i got there email about saving on HP LED) they had them for about $230 shipped.

I've only seen it listed as a deactivated product on newegg. I hope it doesnt pop up for $230 for a long time, considering I just paid $510 for both and got taxed.

the 2710m is glossy also. I picked mine up on ebay for $200 shipped. I love the HP monitors.

2710m was a bad monitor according to Cnet and PRAD.

The HP 2311x's aren't glossy, the 2711x's are.

Interested to here about the backlight bleeding, response time and screen uniformity on the 2511x's. I held off getting a 2509b because of the ugly stand, all though it is 120$ cheaper than the LED versions in Canada, which is ridiculous.

2710m was a bad monitor according to Cnet and PRAD.

The HP 2311x's aren't glossy, the 2711x's are.

Interested to here about the backlight bleeding, response time and screen uniformity on the 2511x's. I held off getting a 2509b because of the ugly stand, all though it is 120$ cheaper than the LED versions in Canada, which is ridiculous.

I've never done a monitor review or anything, but I will do my best. If there are any free tests or measures I should run, let me know and I will do them. Unfortunately I don't have access to a colorimeter or any equipment to use other than a camera.

In the states the 2511x's are $270 (amazon) and 2509b (provantage) are $200, decent difference also.

In Canada the 2509b is 280$, the 2511x is 400$ and the 2711x is 430$.

If you can just report on the backlight bleeding (good result vs bad result) and screen uniformity (look at an all black screen in the dark) and possibly take pictures of the response time using Digital Versus Ghosting Test, I would appreciate it.

For reference this is the horrible Samsung S27A550H, which shows almost no ghosting. If you DL the image you can see the settings I used on my camera.

Monitors are in, and absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad I found these and went with glossy screens, I don't think I would have liked AG coating. I'm not very good at distinguishing amazing displays, but out of the box the only thing I've changed in the settings is the brightness. The back lighting looks pretty uniform with some light bleed around the edges, as would be expected with edge lit LEDs, and thats only when the screen is black. I'll try to take some pics and look them over a little more in depth tomorrow.

HP has excellent Customoer Service, you should try RMAing them if there is bleed. Is the bleed as bad as the picture of the samsung I posted above?

perhaps I was riding a high horse with the edge bleed comment, I would say both of my monitors are better than your "good" example. I tried taking pictures of the screen on with a pure black picture, but with the glossy screens you just get a reflection of me taking the picture, which doesn't look like it would be of any use. Any suggestions?

Any good technique for pics at all? My camera (Samsung HZ30W) just isn't doing them any justice at all.

27wx8go.jpg

Ghosting Result. Taken with Samsung HZ30W at 1/1000 exposure, 3.6 aperture, 1600ISO

Would you guys say this is good, not so good, or typical for a 5ms rated display?

that looks really bad, try using

1/100th exposure, 5 aperature and 1600 isom which is what I use, or save this Samsung Response Time Picture As and open it, right click properties and details to see my settings.

To take pictures of the backlight you have to shut the lights off and block out any light sources.

v3hi81.jpg

1/90, 5.2, ISO1600

2ecdydd.jpg

Auto Mode, no flash

nlr8sx.jpg

Auto Mode, w/ flash

f1jp1s.jpg

1sec, 4.2, ISO400

This shows a lot on the left and right edges, but I don't notice that just when I'm looking at it, so idk how accurate this is.

Can you take a picture of that city background with the lights off? Try not using such a long exposure time, other wise that all-black screen looks pretty good.

The ghosting looks terrible, is it not possible for you to match my settings for better reference?

Can you take a picture of that city background with the lights off? Try not using such a long exposure time, other wise that all-black screen looks pretty good.

The ghosting looks terrible, is it not possible for you to match my settings for better reference?

My camera has 1/125 or 1/90 and 4.6 or 5.2.

I just grabbed one of these. So far I like it.

It is replacing a Dell 2405fpw that had backlight death issues. The Dell had a nicer PVA panel (I think...been a long time), but this cheaper TN panel looks fine so far. HardOCP white on black is actually much easier to read on this display.

Just set it up last night, so haven't had time to calibrate or game on it. Tonight I will be messing with it more.

I just grabbed one of these. So far I like it.

It is replacing a Dell 2405fpw that had backlight death issues. The Dell had a nicer PVA panel (I think...been a long time), but this cheaper TN panel looks fine so far. HardOCP white on black is actually much easier to read on this display.

Just set it up last night, so haven't had time to calibrate or game on it. Tonight I will be messing with it more.

What a coincidence. I have the same Dell you have and thinking about going the same route with the HP. I like what I'm reading from you guys so far. I can still remember dropping 1k down for this lcd back in 2005.

It's time to move on though. Where did you buy yours from?

How do you like the monitors?

After almost a week now I am still loving them to death. I haven't second guessed this purchase at all.

Is the power led blue or green?

I would say its teal, in between blue and green.

It's time to move on though. Where did you buy yours from?

I bought mine from HP direct. They have a two monitor bundle price that is discounted, plus I got the rep to take off another $50. Depending on tax in your area, Amazon may be best at $270/each

Futureshop has the HP2509b on sale for 200$ today so I picked one up. Was going to get the 2511x from Best Buy but it is 130$ more.

Futureshop has the HP2509b on sale for 200$ today so I picked one up. Was going to get the 2511x from Best Buy but it is 130$ more.

Congrats on the 2509b. Post your ghosting results, I know it has a 3ms rated response so it may be a bit better than the 2511x in that regard.

Also, boycott the Buy, they suck haha

I just got one of these from New Egg (except I got it as a "Famous Brand" refurbished). Using it as a second monitor with my work laptop. So far I am super happy with this thing - very bright and sharp - great for huge spreadsheets. I got it for $159 (free shipping) but I think it is now listed at $179.00. Still a good deal.

Back