M-ITX System in the works - Need input

-Ducky-

Limp Gawd
I am looking at building an all-new ITX system. It will be a complete new build, price range $1100. I currently have a i7-920 MATX Setup in a Antec P180 Listed in Signature). I want to go smaller.

The dilemma I have is that I want it to be a single-card eyefinity system. I don't play anything crazy, mainly the Call of Duty series, and MMORPG's. Now it may be my lack of knowledge but I would assume one would want one of the AMD 2GB HD6xxx series for this to happen.
Am I completely limited to the SG-07 as the smallest ITX case that can reliably fit the larger cards?

I have put a couple different builds together Both linked below (see screencaps) but I would like input on them.

I do not have the funds to purchase the 3x 23" Acers I have looked at atm, so my current 1x BenQ V2400W with a Westinghouse 22" on each side will have to make due for now. Which would leave me with only dual-monitors if I go with the Nvidia 560ti build, or I can attempt to sell my monitors as well as a few dell 19" LCD's I have laying around on Craigslist to pick up the Acers now if I go the AMD route.

I need help people, this is about to drive me nuts, all input is greatly appreciated. Im not new to system building, but this one is just a tough decision with all the options I have available.

BUILD 1 - Major differences
90gb ssd, HIS HD6950 2Gb, SG-07, Shuriken Revb
The smalled SSD and Shuriken help keep it right near my desired price range, and the ASRock mobo is currently out of stock, so the Asus stands in it's place
Eyefinity ready to go
eyefinitybuild.jpg

BUILD 2 - Major Differences
No Eyefinity =( 10Gb SSD, H60 cooler, GTX560ti 1Gb, SG05
Gigabyte Mobo in place of theASRock mobo of preference
NvidiaBuild.jpg

build one will be a bit faster reguardless, and has a case that is more capable of cooling the CPU. If you 7V then run the fan on the low setting switch, it will be a bit quieter than the SG05 - all three of my SG05/06 cases have had noisey (vs my SG07) PSU fans.

So basically the Sg-07 is the go-to case and the only real option for the larger cards?

well, the SG06 will fit a reference HD6950 with a bit of modding. It's just that the stock 120mm fan is kinda lame...

Sometimes people want to build sff systems for the 'puzzle' aspect of trying to fit more into less. I've done that, and it is certainly fun to do. For that, build 2 is your best choice.

However, build 1 is not only easier, but gives you a bit more room to grow. The psu and excellent cooling make it easier to build a more powerful system.

I'd grab an H67 board with an Intel i5-2500 and stick with the SG07.

I don't see a reason for the aftermarket cooling on the new Intel CPU's when you can't OC. Until they release a OC-able M-ITX board just save some $$$ or upgrade something.

Reading the replies I am thinking I will go with build 1. I dont know that I will go back to either a MATX or a full-size system any time soon. Therefore I would have plenty of upgrade room.

I'd grab an H67 board with an Intel i5-2500 and stick with the SG07.

Any specific reason for the 2500 instead of the 2500k? Future value and selling the 2500k down the line has me more up to spending the extra $20.

No oc capable mitx lga1155 mobos yet. Sg05 and the matx ft03 have the same footprint, if you still want matx. Its about 2.8 times taller.I'll fimdthe pics I have of the comparison when I get back home. I myselft went sg06 to sg07 to ft03 :p
Posted via Mobile Device

antec's skeleton open air case can fit bigger cards, just not tall cpu coolers.

sg05 is a great case, but the number one problem is the PSU. the 300w is actually of better quality than 450w. either way its tough to power higher(TDP ~200+)cards, like the 6950. IF you are going to be using any of the flagship cards 6950+/gtx 570+ I would not get an sg05

Last edited:
antec's skeleton open air case can fit bigger cards, just not tall cpu coolers.

actually, the mini skeleton can only fit half height cards (technically 2.75" and not "half," but whatever :p) The ATX Skeleton is a bit larger, :(

Back