ASRock 890GX PRO3 AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

yankee495

Limp Gawd
Way back about 2001 I built an Athlon XP system with a Shuttle AK31 V 3.1 Motherboard. Well, I retired it a couple of weeks ago. It still ran pretty good. Had a PS blow out, had to add some RAM and HD space but it gave me 10 years of good solid service.

So I had not kept up with all the new stuff so I had to study for days to see what to buy.

I got the Asrock board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=am3+_6gb/s_usb_3.0-_-13-157-244-_-Product

I put in a Phenom II X4 955 BE and 8 GB Ripjaws DDR3 (4GBx2) with a Seagate 7200 64 MB/1TB HD. I also put in a Raidmax 530 watt PS.

I am not a gamer at all and this board has HDMI,VGA and DVI output. It has two PCIe x16 slots...well, take a look.

It has the buldozer black socket and wow...This is the reason I didn't buy an X6, I hope to buy a BD and build a X4 with my old chip and recover some of the cost of the X4.

I seen all kinds of post with speculations on the BD and and the black socket boards. So I thought I'd post what I have found with this board. I am no newbie but it seems like it after years of not keeping up. Lost my [H} ID...I guess it got deleted, not sure, so this is a new one.

It is running Mandriva Linux 2010.2 and Win7. Both run very well but the Gb lan was a pain to install in linux. Had to edit the makefile and manually install it.

I have benched it with Hwinfo but most others want to bench the graphics which it is not built to do. It is way up there on FPU and I just ordered the 2nd stick of RAM. If I didn't like it I was gonna sell it as a 4GB machine. So the RAM is not running dual channel yet.

It clocks easily to 4Ghz at 1.4v and they say it'll do it at 1.3. It does have the 8 pin power connector for the CPU. With the stock cooler it runs like 112F which I have read to ditch the fan... Put a better fan on it and the heat sink will do the job pretty well....they say.

All the parts cost $457 including the RAM I ordered yesterday. I put in a Liteon 24x DVD RW too. I just used my old case, but not the PSU.

There is not a lot to read about this board. Newegg only has 6 reviews and I am 2 of them.

The machine runs rock solid except for after some MS updates, I left the room and came back and it was at the Linux logon screen meaning it blue screened in Windows. I don't know why, but it has not done it again. Not a single glitch anywhere.

It installed Win7 and linux without a problem (except Gb lan in linux). I worked it pretty good and it never got over 115F or so with quiet N cool off.

Hope to add a BD CPU and improve it, but I am not goind to wait 10 years again. It was a money, ole lady thing and lets just say I have the XP rig and a new Phemon II rig!
;)

I do hope it lasts, but no one expets 10 years these days.

I bought a Openbox S9 HD FTA satellite receiver (1080i) that will record to external HDD. This is built to edit the recordings, cut commercials and that type of stuff.
:D

Glad to see a little something about this Mobo! I have been a DFI guy for years and its about time for a new build and this was the board i was looking at....Not to keen on ASRock products but they seem to pack alot of features in for a great price.

Im not a big noobie but I have a question?
I was thinking about getting this board and pairing it with the Phenom II 1100T. So my question is why did you say "It has the buldozer black socket and wow...This is the reason I didn't buy an X6"? Or is it just because of budget concerns?

PS: I have no idea if anything I just said made any sense so..... let me know

Asrock make's good board's, they are not top of the line. but they do what you want them to do. but with out costing a arm and a leg.

I have a Asrock board, its for socket 1156 and its o/ced my 870 to 4ghz easy. and i have had asus boards since the socket 462 day's, they are a sister company of asus.

Well, it is still running 24/7, I never shut it off. I just wasn't going to spend the extra $ for a X6 when I may buy a Bulldozer for it. I can just pop the X4 in a board and get some money back.

Anyway, it'll do 4 GHz all day on air with the stock fan...I am very happy with it. Just now, today I started reading how to tweak it...Memory timings etc.

I'm not a noobie either...had a user name here (since the 90's) and don't know what happened to it....just gone as far as I can tell.

Back