PX5 Headset Questions

All the Headset's out right now this meets pretty much all my needs.

Its wireless and its multi platform. Down side is I need to get rechargeable batteries but its not a big deal.

I was looking at the setup booklet and please correct me if im wrong.

I have the ORIGINAL 80GB PS3 which I noticed has an OPTICAL OUT.
I also have the ORGINAL XBOX which does not have an OPTICAL OUT,
but there is a cable "SOLD SEPARATE -
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1408&bih=627&q=xbox+hdmi+audio&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15056471225752051629&sa=X&ei=rpaoTbzVJMGa0QHioLX5CA&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA#
If any one has this cable , next to the red/white RCA it looks like there is an OPTICAL OUT as well.

Now the PX5 Device transmitter looks like it has 2 Optical IN???
If this is case and that extra xbox wire has optical out and theoretically
I should be able to plug both the PS3 and XBOX.

The PX5 only comes with 1 optical cable.
So i would need to get that extra XBOX cable + another Optical cable and rechargeable batteries and i should be ready to go.

Now the power is my last complain, since its a USB cable but I dont want to take out the USB to move to the other system everytime i want to change consoles.
Is there like a USB to regular electric plug?

thanks for all the info in advance.

Last edited:
I was just looking at this today.
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px5.aspx

it only has one optical in, the other is optical out.
also, their webpage does show they sell a usb wall charger so looks like you can use that for power in stead of the system usb. you probably have one from a cell phone or something to use instead of buying theirs.
USB-adapter.jpg

Damn so I cant really have this hooked up to both systems like the F450 Logitech headset?

Damn if this is the Case I'm now forced to wait for the release of the Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Omega headsets.

I need a wireless possibly rechargeable head set that I can have hooked up to both my PS3 and XBOX 360 .. any one know of anything like this?

SubyJay. it looks like you have the Xbox and PS3 were you able to hook them up together or you have to switch out cables everytime you jump to another console?

Sorry, haven't bought it, still in the looking stage. Thats the one thing that sucks. I'll have to connect and disconnect to move from xbox/ps3/pc when I need to use it

Ok so I found out that the PX5 Receiver has 1 optical in and 1 out.

So I would hook up the PS3 with the optical and the Xbox with the shit L R analog signal.
But im not even sure if there is a switch to go from ps3 to Xbox.

Yeah this would be perfect...Thanks man..

Now I will wait till this summer to purchase this head set since
I want to see the Sound Blaster Omega headset 1st before
I make my decision.

Just got mine in last night. Didn't get to test it out for to long so cant say if great or not but the little that I did get to use them, the sound was good and it was nice having those presets. I was able to walk around my apartment without losing the signal.. I need to throw in one of those surround sound tester to check how well the replicate that.

I purchased the PX5's about 2.5 months ago.

It does work with PS3/XBOX and PC with mic support

For the PC you just need to get a USB bluetooth dongle. IO gear sells them for like 12 bucks.
Then you connect it the same way you connect the BT to the PS3.

It works like a dream for the PS3 and XBOX since its made to work with these systems.

I have the Optical switch and my PC sound card has optical out and the sound its amazing.
Most mobo have optical out included now a days.

I have been using it with Teamspeak and Ventrillo and it works perfect.
The only problem is when you connect to the TS or Vent you get this annoying
static sound very loud. All you need to do is turn off the BT on the PX5 and turn it back on.
You might have to do this 2 or 3 times before the static goes away , but after the static
goes away it works like a dream

You can also try one of these optical splitter. They're suppose to work both ways.
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-270...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318109688&sr=1-2

I recently got the PX5 and XBA Bluetooth adapter to make it wireless on XBOX. Unfortunately the mic performance with the XBA adapter has been pretty poor. My friends can hardly hear me. Using the chat cable resolves the problem though, but then its not really wireless.

I've updated my headset's firmware, downloaded and updated to the new XBA Mic profile and I'm using PS3 mode as recommended by TurtleBeach. It still hasn't really done much to improve the mic volume.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
JohneleMVP I was actually thinking about getting the BT adapter for the Xbox ($30) to make it fully wireless.
Im glad I read your review and I think i'll stick with the cable.

Even though its not fully wireless its not that bad , I dont mind the cable so much.

I purchased this splitter from Amazon and it came with 4x 6ft optical cables. -
http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Optic...XDEK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318260693&sr=8-3

I love my all in one Wireless head set and now all i got to do is turn the optical switch to PC/XBOX/PS3 and Bam . I love the sound I can actually hear people walking around me and I can also hear them reloading.

On the PC I had issued on Vent with the volume too low, but on TS everyone can hear me just fine.
Plus on Ventrilo the other users can adjust my volume so they could hear me better. So not a real bad thing. Over all Im extremely happy with this headset.

Anyone ever hear what happened to the Sound Blaster Omega headset.
It was to be released 4-15-2010???

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Damn they finally release the Omega..jesus...
So taking a look at Omega Im glad I purchased the PX5.

The omega doesnt come with optical out and it uses an old RCA connection
which I'm not trilled about. The Omega will also force me to move cables
around when switching from PC to my consoles.

The omega only does Stereo for consoles and I know most peeps think that a head set can only do stereo and theoretically they are right. Its not until you put on the PX5's and litsen to the sound that you will become a believer that this is not a stereo headset. The sound is amazing!

So here is a break down and correct me if im wrong.

PX5 Cons - Price ($212.00 @ Amazon) + shipping (total 256.00) + shipping
Extra cable needed for true digital signal for XBOX. (I blame Xbox for this)
- RCA/Optical cable adapter ($2.00 @ amazon) + shipping
Still need a wire from the Xbox controller to headset to use mic.
Extra USB Bluetooth Dongle needed for MIC support with PC ($15.00 extra)
Extra Optical Switch so you dont need to move cables ($14.00 extra)
Need to purchase rechargeable AA batteries ($13.00 extra) + shipping

Pros - True digital signal sorround sound support for PC/XBOX/PS3 or anything with optical out.
Bluetooth capabilities.
Tons of Preset and also DL software which allows you to modify to your liking.
With Optical Switch you can have this connected to all your devices and
- never need to move cables around.
Seperate volume adjustment for BT and Headset.
PX5 are more stylish then Omega ( my opinion )

Omega Cons - Only supports true digital signal for PC, stereo for PS3 and XBOX
Will always have to move cables around even if you get RCA
-splitters, but then whats the point it only supports stereo.
Still need a wire from Xbox controller to headset
Great PC software but it only works with PC.

Pros - $200.00 cheaper then PX5 when you consider all you need to purchase!
Integrated rechargeable battery USB micro. (this is awsome)
Works with PC/MAC/Wii/XBOX/PS3
Great PC software

My room mates owns the turtle beach X31 which are a RCA connection wireless.
The PX5's blow the sound away with optical digital signal and my room mate
that has been playing with the X31 for years is now going to purchase the PX5 because
of the sound difference. It is huge!

Last edited:
Back