Erase a CD With Electricity

+1 on the microwave. Stacks of AOL and Compuserve CDs met their demise after 3 seconds in the glow in the dark foodotron.

This doesn't remove the "bumps" burned in which means you could retrieve data , it removes a protective layer. Only physical damage can completely render beyond repair for any security reasons.

I suppose it depends on if the current is enough to heat the plastic and warp the pits. It could work well then.

I prefer a document shredder, cross cut. 3 seconds and it is all over, foever. Better than a stump grinder.

I would like to put other items between those coils.
shiftyeyes.gif

I would like to put other items between those coils.
shiftyeyes.gif

I'm guessing it would be the most painful experience of your life and you'd never procreate again...

On second thought... go for it! maybe you'll win a Darwin Award! :D ;)

indeed cool, but new CD will be cheaper

now i wonder if we can erase others mind with this, wohoo no more crazy GF/BF ever

This doesn't remove the "bumps" burned in which means you could retrieve data , it removes a protective layer. Only physical damage can completely render beyond repair for any security reasons.

Yep. All one needs is a bit of Gallium and you can read the entire disk again. On a related note, a dot of Gallium on the top of a "label perforated" disk works wonders to restore read capabilities :).

I wish I had one of those pole pigs :(
Great way to get yourself killed though...

You could probably accomplish this with a good size neon transformer also.
I found one near the dumpster of a sign company once. Got a coat hanger and made 2 wire rods. Instant Jacobs ladder. :p

I suppose it depends on if the current is enough to heat the plastic and warp the pits. It could work well then.

exactly the same things that went through my head...

only i don't think the foil is protective, it's just the reflective layer to make the pits more visible to the laser/sensor

exactly the same things that went through my head...

only i don't think the foil is protective, it's just the reflective layer to make the pits more visible to the laser/sensor

Depends on which kind of CD/DVD this is. For one pressed in a plant the process is actually similar to making a vinyl record. The pits and grooves are "pressed" into the acrylic just like the groves were pressed into the vinyl record. The aluminum coating is a reflective layer to bounce the laser back for a 0 or 1 read.
Now if you are talking about writable media; that is totally different. The data is written by burning off the dye with a laser.
As far as adding the reflective layer back and reading the disc; I doubt it is possible. The heat generated by the electrical arc most likely damaged the pits and grooves.

You could probably accomplish this with a good size neon transformer also.
I found one near the dumpster of a sign company once. Got a coat hanger and made 2 wire rods. Instant Jacobs ladder. :p

I've done this also! Tons of free fun. You can burn through so many things by holding the leads on either side of the object. You can feel the field it generates as you hold the wires, lol.

If it doesn't involve explosive materials and/or projectiles, it isn't worthwhile. :D

I've done this also! Tons of free fun. You can burn through so many things by holding the leads on either side of the object. You can feel the field it generates as you hold the wires, lol.

I gave my transformer to a buddy that said he wanted to build a Tesla coil and needed a sizable step up transformer. Having much respect for anyone that would take on that kind of project; I donated my neon transformer to the cause. I got duped. He never built the Tesla coil. Later someone we both know mentioned to me the cool "jacobs ladder HV generator" this guy had. :rolleyes:

basically the same as "welding" art into aluminum foil with a battery and wires.

Put a Kill-A-Watt on that guy's disc frying system to see how much power it consumes. :cool:

This removes any conductive (reflective) material in a way which probably generates enough localized heat to melt the dye (in a burned CD).
In a pressed CD, the data is stamped into the reflective layer... since this destroys that layer, everything is gone.

Back