Corsair CX430 - Fan Noise

eyedeebee

n00b
Hi,

I just received a Corsair CX430 today and I'm really disappointed with it. The PSU fan is very noisy , I have previously owned a CX400 which was pretty much silient.

The PSU is for a HTPC that sits behind my TV, so noise levels are important.

I have a spare Noctua 12cm fan which I could use to replace the stock Corsair fan or alternatively I could purchase another PSU- replacing the fan seems a bit extreme for a PSU that's a day old. Any recommendations on quiet PSU's which don't break the bank?

My system is a Celeron E3300, 2GB RAM, single hard disk and optical drive so don't need a high wattage PSU.

Thanks

eyedeebee,

I sent one of these back for a ticking/clicking fan as well. Drove me up the wall in about 5 minutes. Not too mention, it was making noises whenever I moved my mouse.

I bought one of these to replace it with. Click Not fancy looking, but dead quiet...and I mean no noise quiet...and it's been doing the job just fine. $33.76 + shipping after the $5 off code.

Another one, if you can find it on sale would be the Antec EarthWatts 380D. I use these at the office...seem to be very reliable, but aren't as quiet as the Seasonic above. Not even close...I'd say a touch louder than the CX430.

I miss the CX400, I built dozens of computers with that PSU and I've never had one come back.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Corsair really screwed the pooch with the new CX line for sure.

I also went Seasonic on a brand new HTPC build and another light build for a friend - done screwing around with cheap PSUs.

I agree Brahmzy...

I've built all new rigs in the last year and a half and three of the four have Seasonics(one PicoPSU). I also have the 400 fanless and the X650(caught that 109.99 sale). I can't say enough about them. Definitely the best power supplies I've ever owned.

In the office, those Earthwatts units have held their own. I have a dozen of them, not a single dead one yet. I just wish they'd put 120mm fans on the 380D, it'd probably quiet them down some...

Best,

LC

Back