Warning: XFX's silent revision on the 6970

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerLord

[H]ard|Gawd
Though I already have a thread about the subject here, I believe it is worth mentioning it again in a more formal and general manner. I'd like to take the time to warn you guys about a silent revision XFX has ported to their 6970 reference design that makes third party coolers or waterblocks unusable. They did not warn anyone or change the model number to indicate such a thing, and upon my contacting Performance-PC, ++++ and EK, nobody was aware such a revision existed either.

The short version is that XFX has made significant changes to their reference model HD-697ACN-FC, switching in cheaper SMT components, removing the BIOS switch, backplate and speakers, as well as moving screw mounting holes thus rendering waterblocks such as the EK-6970FC reference design obsolete.

Screenshots and more info in the long version ahead.

Backstory
A week ago I ordered a XFX 6970 2GB from Canadian site ++++. I carefully checked the model number (HD697ACNFC) and proceeded to order an EK-6970FC block (the black acetal version meant for reference designs). The photos on the site also reflected a reference PCB (AMD logo printed just above the PCI-E connector). Both this and model number gave all indications that this was in fact, a reference model. I confirmed this a third time by having a look at CoolingConfigurator.com, EK's site for checking compatibility between blocks and GPU models. As you can see here, it was the correct model.

I received the card and did not bother to inspect it as I was too excited to plug it in and try my new U3011. Everything looked fine, the box I received did have HD697ACNFC printed on the outer box and UPC code, so thought nothing of it.

Incompatibility
I was anxious to get the block on the card as the fan gets quite loud during intense gaming sessions. As soon as the package with my block arrived, I emptied my loop, took the card apart and proceeded to install the thermal pads. But when I tried to mount the block, I noticed the mounting holes were too far apart under the memory chips.

I doubled checked that it was indeed a HD697ACNFC, but upon looking at the back of the PCB, I found this:
IMGP4242.jpg

Notice the "V1.1" that appears at the end of the model number, which appears absolutely nowhere else on the packaging or card. So I looked up an image of a "real" reference design:
front.jpg

Compare it to my card's PCB:
IMGP4240.jpg

You will notice:
-The use of cheaper SMT components
-The speaker is missing
-A memory power phase is missing
-There is a ceramique cap and a few inductors near the PCIe power plugs
-No BIOS switch
-No backplate

But more importantly, screw placements were altered.

I immediately went to XFX's site and opened a ticket to inquire just WTF was going on. NewEgg lists a HD697ACNDC, which appeared identical to the "HD697ACNFC V1.1" I had received. I thought it could have been an error, like someone slapping the wrong sticker on the wrong PCB, and was prepared to let XFX correct it.

The next morning, I had my reply:

Hi [Me],

The 6970 cards have gone through a revision change, and unfortunately not all the retailers have updated the images to reflect that current revision. Unfortunately that original design that you are refering to was manufactured for such a short period that we dont even have those available for RMA. If its not exactly what you were looking for your setup, unfortunately the best course of action would be to return it to the place of purchase, as again, we dont even have those original revisions in our RMA stock currently.

- Erik

In short, XFX is blaming the vendor for not updating the images to reflect the new changes. Only, these design changes are only visible UNDER the cooler, or if you look behind the PCB to check whether "V1.1" appears after the model number. I have yet to find a vendor site that lists pictures of the naked PCB.

The real issue of course, is that XFX made fundamental changes to the design of their PCB and did not tell anyone, nor did they alter their model number to indicate such a change could have happened.

The result was my situation: a 120$ waterblock, rendered obsolete, because the company altered production designs most likely to save costs, but did not believe it pertinent to warn the community.

I find it appalling that a company that prides themselves as being modder friendly would not think it relevant to warn the enthusiast community that their card will no longer accept third party coolers and blocks built for that very card. After all, the 6970 IS an enthusiast product, and it is very likely that people who buy it will seek to modify the GPU with a better cooling solution.

As it stands, there is absolutely no way for you to know what card you will be getting. The only way to verify whether you are getting a "real", original reference design, or the new V1.1 variant, is by physically inspecting the PCB. This requires opening up the box and card, therefore rendering returns more difficult. In my case, I would be subjected to a 15% restocking fee plus shipping to return the card to ++++. All-in-all, a whopping 78$ to return a product that was misrepresented by XFX.

So what did XFX do? Nothing. They closed the ticket.

Someone in the [H] family suggested I PM an active XFX employee that has an account here, which I did. To his credit, he did offer a solution (which he asked me not to talk about), but it was too little too late: I had already ordered the V2 variant of the EK-6970FC block. What was the point, anyway? This was a one time fix for me... countless others stand to be taken by surprise unless XFX alerts vendors and customers, which from their attitude I doubt they will do.

My biggest problem with this entire fiasco is XFX's inability to admit their shady business practices, then trying to blame the vendor for it with a nonsensical argument (not updating product images).

Needless to say, XFX is now entering my blacklist. There are many other alternatives out there, and while none is perfect, I can't say I've ever had to endure such incompetence at the hands of EVGA, BFG or Asus.

For those who own such a card, have one coming or are thinking about ordering it, do inspect the PCB if you are thinking of ordering a block or third party cooler. Since I had already opened the block, EK didn't want to take it back, so I am now forced to sell it somewhere, no doubt at a loss.

I am really saddened by this as I thought XFX to be a reliable and trustworthy company, but obviously, this isn't the case. I was told XFX has been doing this for years on other forums, but am uncertain whether these allegations are correct or simple emotional ranting.

That sucks man. Those revisions sound like a new product line rather than a silent revision. You should take it up with the retailer in the meantime.

That's totally unfair. You should not be held responsible for a lack of oversight on the part of businesses (Newegg and XFX). They should compensate you for any out-of-pocket cost you incur, and I encourage you to pursue a plan of action that will hold either one or both accountable. Sorry about your issue, and hope you make the best out of it.

That sucks man. Those revisions sound like a new product line rather than a silent revision. You should take it up with the retailer in the meantime.

It's not the retailer's fault, really. The box they shipped had the correct model on the outside of the box. I'm sure I could fight for waving the restocking fee and win, but I will still need to pay 20$ shipping fees to return the card to them (shipping in Canada is about 4-5x more expensive than in the states). This is CLEARLY and legally XFX's problem. They're the ones at fault.

I'm selling the reference EK block here on [H], and might lose 10-15$ on it. Better than 78$ on the GPU.

Lesson learned in either case.

I've read about several people who had to return parts that were DoA, and by chatting with a Newegg representative they were able to get compensation for shipping costs. I don't remember if it was in the form of a gift card or what.

It seems you have decided to keep the 6970. Reporting your unlocking results would be great, since your card has a CHiL voltage regulator. I'm not sure if unlocking is tied to the voltage regulator or all cards can unlock, but it'd be valuable info. Thanks, I appreciate it.

XFX always releases non-reference cards with shittier components, and it's why I don't buy their products.

Wait, so... XFX tried to make it good via their rep on the forums after you contacted them, and you decided instead to "call them out" and sell your waterblock at a (very small) loss? Yes, I agree that what they did was wrong and should be noted so others don't make similar mistakes, but you aren't making much more sense in your actions than they are.

XFX always releases non-reference cards with shittier components, and it's why I don't buy their products.

Also this, particularly with regard to their ATI/AMD cards as I understand. Pretty common knowledge at this point. Sorry to see the OP caught at the point of change-over.

This. Everyone know's their cards suck my left nut for any sort of overclocking. but to the OPs credit they normaly change the cooler or something obvious so you know you are buying a crap card.

Wait, so... XFX tried to make it good via their rep on the forums after you contacted them, and you decided instead to "call them out" and sell your waterblock at a (very small) loss? Yes, I agree that what they did was wrong and should be noted so others don't make similar mistakes, but you aren't making much more sense in your actions than they are.

You are ignoring the rest of the facts. I'm not sure if you did it intentionally or not, but perhaps I can make it clearer.

1. XFX made fundamental changes to their card design, but failed to indicate this to their customers by changing the model number. For instance, they are already selling non-reference designs, such as the HD-679X-ZDFC model. Why not alter the last two letters of model HD-697ACN-FC to something like HD-697ACN-XC and let us know "this is no longer a reference card folks, so plan your rig accordingly."

2. When I found out, they blamed vendors with a nonsensical argument (they did not update the pictures), when pictures would not have prevented this situation.

3. They closed the ticket without offering to help. *I* had to contact their rep. Should have been the other way around.

4. It was too late, I had already ordered a new block and it was already shipped.

5. Offering to help me "this one time", but asking me to shut up about it, would not prevent others from buying what they thought is a reference model, buying appropriare third party coolers, then be stuck in the same situation. Will the rep help them as well?

If you change the design of your card so much that an extensive array of products designed for that card will no longer work (and expensive 3rd party products at that), and you don't even bother to tell anyone, it is ethically reprehensible.

Besides, they replaced the card's components with cheaper ones. NOT changing the model number was probably deliberate, as the price stayed the same. Lower production costs and quality silently, keep charging the same price, hope no one notices? This is what it looks like. This doesn't appear dishonest to you even in the slightest? PowerColor has adopted the same PCB, but at least they have a different model number.

Last edited:
I see the ref card has the amd logo on the pcie slot area

Correct. The lack of AMD logo indicates a non reference card. Yet, the model number remained unchanged (notice the A in HD697ACNFC, indicating reference, versus a non-reference XFX model with different shroud, such as the HD-679X-ZDFC).

You wouldn't be able to notice the lack of logo until you had opened the card's packaging anyway, thus rendering you liable to the 15% restocking fee.

There has to be an indication in the model number that the card you will get is NOT reference or is different before you buy it, not after. This should be standard business practices for an honest company.

I got this version of xfx 6970 from amazon as replacement of actual reference version of 6970 that was bad
i can tell you that this card was much hotter and louder compared to reference version
i couldn't stand it...so i returned it and bought asus dcii 6950 instead

Talk about fucking bait and switch. Hopefully XFX rectifies this. I would totally buy reference cards from them (I will only buy reference ATI cards) but this makes me wary to do even that.

I am little miffed about this, as I'm a recent purchaser of 2 of these cards. I have no complaints about their performance, though. The first thing I noticed was the lack of backplates on my cards, as newegg had them in the pics.

However, my PCB looks like the reference one. Confusing.

Do they allow voltage adjustment?

On the 5000-series the XFX "revised" 5870s removed voltage control.

I will pay for a non-reference design only if it IMPROVES upon the original.

Yes, they allow for voltage adjustment. They run 5-10 degrees cooler in my experience (in crossfire). My testing (on air) overclocked to 975/1500. I have one placeholding a reference xfx 6970 I'm waiting on a 460 rad to install.. In defense of XFX in general terms, the reference tandem hit 1050 core / 1525 under water and the 1.1 is no slouch. The non-ref is my brother's card, for the curious.

pretty normal process on the ATI side. there is a 3 month requirement for all reference cards, from that point on AIB's are allowed to sell non reference cards. it was the same process with the 5k 4k and 3k series cards. XFX though has taken the cheap route and doesn't bother to ever mention the cards are non reference, everyone went through the same process with the 5k series when the non reference XFX cards were released. newegg was slow to the game on changing their product information and yet still never bothered to mention it was a non reference card and continued to sell it as a reference design.

Companies release different PCBs all the time, really not that unusual. I can't say I have ever seen a company advertise that this card is rev 1.0 vs rev 1.1.

Offering to help me "this one time", but asking me to shut up about it
If true, I can't stand any person or company that does this. It's like their giving you a favor for screwing you over in the mess they made. Talk about making your blood boil...

Besides, they replaced the card's components with cheaper ones. NOT changing the model number was probably deliberate, as the price stayed the same. Lower production costs and quality silently, keep charging the same price, hope no one notices?
You would think with the last go around, this would have been fixed. To me AMD needs to have a better control over what their AB partners do. And at least step in and try to help smooth out situations. XFX taking the cheap way out and charging the same price is a shitty business practice.

I understand your issue but when you make comments like

OP said:
I received the card and did not bother to inspect it as I was too excited to plug it in and try my new U3011.

there is only so much that i can feel for you, you did get what you purchased, and you failed to inspect it upon receiving. Revisions happen in all aspects of pc manufacturing - and you hear of it happening all the time - (People looking for specific version of CPUs, or even GPUs that unlock etc.. etc...)

and then we get to were you do get some help

OP said:
Someone in the [H] family suggested I PM an active XFX employee that has an account here, which I did. To his credit, he did offer a solution (which he asked me not to talk about), but it was too little too late: I had already ordered the V2 variant of the EK-6970FC block. What was the point, anyway? This was a one time fix for me...

and you go drama on the XFX employee - so my question is if you had already fixed the problem why even bother contacting the XFX [H] member?

As an enthusiast you must have experienced this type of thing in the past, it is part of being "an enthusiast" and if this is your first experience in this type of thing, its a good lesson to learn.

Manufacturers are not responsible for making sure After Market parts are compatible with their products.

Infact IMO it was your own fault for not checking with EK to make sure the water block you were ordering would fit, and not checking your card when you received it (as you found out there is a V2 version that does work with your version)..

So who is really at fault here? XFX because they sold and labeled their revision or you for not "checking" your actual card before ordering a water block?

Oh and welcome to being an enthusiast - if this is the worst of the issues you ever run into that is pretty good.

Infact IMO it was your own fault for not checking with EK to make sure the water block you were ordering would fit, and not checking your card when you received it (as you found out there is a V2 version that does work with your version)

A week ago I ordered a XFX 6970 2GB from Canadian site ++++. I carefully checked the model number (HD697ACNFC) and proceeded to order an EK-6970FC block (the black acetal version meant for reference designs). The photos on the site also reflected a reference PCB (AMD logo printed just above the PCI-E connector). Both this and model number gave all indications that this was in fact, a reference model. I confirmed this a third time by having a look at CoolingConfigurator.com, EK's site for checking compatibility between blocks and GPU models. As you can see here, it was the correct model.

I received the card and did not bother to inspect it as I was too excited to plug it in and try my new U3011. Everything looked fine, the box I received did have HD697ACNFC printed on the outer box and UPC code, so thought nothing of it.

To me it looks like he did checked the model number and on EK website thinking he was purchasing a reference card. The only indentation is a sticker on the back of the card which you can't see until you open the box anyway.

To me XFX used Reference boxes to ship non-reference cards, giving the boxes are the same.

To me it looks like he did checked the model number and on EK website thinking he was purchasing a reference card. The only indentation is a sticker on the back of the card which you can't see until you open the box anyway.

To me XFX used Reference boxes to ship non-reference cards, giving the boxes are the same.

OP said:
I received the card and did not bother to inspect it as I was too excited to plug it in and try my new U3011.

The issue isn't the card he purchased, its the water block he ordered (XFX is not responsible for making sure EK water blocks fit on their cards)

I understand your issue but when you make comments like

Another one who fails at reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

I did not get what I ordered. It`s the whole point of this thread. I ordered a HD-697ACN-FC, a reference design model number, but got a HD-697ACN-FC V1.1 instead, a card that has nothing to do with the HD-697ACN-FC design. XFX shipped me a non reference card under a reference model number.

MSI and PowerColor have been using the same, new PCB for weeks, but they did alter model numbers. They did not try to pass me a card as reference. XFX did. Hence the source of the confusion. And when asked what was going on, they blamed the vendor for not updating the product images. What does this have to do with anything?

If you`re going to play the devil`s advocate, you'd serve yourself and others better if you made sure to grasp all the facts firmly.

Another one who fails at reading I did not get what I ordered. It`s the whole point of this thread. I ordered a HD-697ACN-FC, a reference design model number, but got a HD-697ACN-FC V1.1 instead, a card that has nothing to do with the HD-697ACN-FC design. XFX shipped me a non reference card under a reference model number.

you got exactly what you ordered. an HD-697ACN-FC

you just got a revision v1.1

this would be different if you ordered a

HD-697ACN-FC and got a HD-697ACN-FD or HD-697ACN-FK or HD-697ACN-PS

and you do realize that

HD-697ACN-FC is an XFX model number right? its not an ATI or Powercolor or MSI model number - if XFX chooses to revision their model numbers that is how they do it

Motherboard manufacturers have practiced this quite extensively (AN8 v1.1 AN8 v1.2 etc.. etc..)

Bottom line, when you got your card in and before you ordered your water block you should have inspected your card model number and verified with EK that the block would fit.

IMO you just need to accept that you didn't inspect it and chaulk it up as a lesson, i mean we've all done it before - its not like its any big deal, its all part of being an enthusiast.

this would be different if you ordered a

HD-697ACN-FC and got a HD-697ACN-FD or HD-697ACN-FK or HD-697ACN-PS

and you do realize that

HD-697ACN-FC is an XFX model number right? its not an ATI or Powercolor or MSI model number - if XFX chooses to revision their model numbers that is how they do it

Motherboard manufacturers have practiced this quite extensively (AN8 v1.1 AN8 v1.2 etc.. etc..)

Bottom line, when you got your card in and before you ordered your water block you should have inspected your card model number and verified with EK that the block would fit.

IMO you just need to accept that you didn't inspect it and chaulk it up as a lesson, i mean we've all done it before - its not like its any big deal, its all part of being an enthusiast.

No offense, but they might have left the part number the same , but it should be advertised as a new revision.
You mention MB manufacturers, but any time i buy a mainboard, the description mentions the revision number or the pic with show a 1.1 etc. between the PCI slots.
The OP has said you wouldn't find out about the new revision until you open it.

Also, if they changed the referance design, aren't companies like this supposed to inform someone or other, how else can accessories be made for it?

Thats like say apple bringing out the iphone 5 giving the dimensions and not telling any accessory maker it has a bigger screen and all the accessories that come out are then wrong.

IMO

The issue isn't the card he purchased, its the water block he ordered (XFX is not responsible for making sure EK water blocks fit on their cards)

This makes no sense. If the XFX model number is supposed to be a reference design then he should get a reference designed card. How else are you suppose to know? If the card was a reference design then the water block would have worked.

H-street said:

Yes it is a big deal when its your money and being an enthusiast doesn't give them a free pass.

Last edited:
The question being asked now is: is it fair for a manufacturer to advertise multiple designs of a video card under one model without prior disclosure when it can negatively impact the compatibility of aftermarket heatsinks, the installation of which is warranted and supported by XFX? No, absolutely not.

EDIT: And if it is fair, the businesses condoning such practices need to man-up and take responsibility when someone gets a brand spankin' new $300 GPU that isn't compatible with his needs even though the pictures claim otherwise.

Also, if they changed the referance design, aren't companies like this supposed to inform someone or other, how else can accessories be made for it?

But they did,

there is a V2 version of the EK water block that fits that revision,

the OP himself even says he ordered that V2 block "after" he realized he had a v1.1 revision board, which he should have checked before he ordered the original water block.

the other thing is we don't know what is on the "box", the op hasn't supplied pictures of the XFX barcode etc.. typically that information is also on the box, or some manufactuers supply "windows" to the sticker on the card. if you see this image, it would be nice to know exactly what it says on the OPs box as far as model number goes

infact if you look at the picture, i can clearly see v1.0 on the box - i'd bet real dollars that the OPs box also says v1.1 and not the v1.0. - meaning he could have checked the revision before opening.

what is even more a sign that the "OP" is just trying to stir drama is he has copied and pasted this same discussion over 4 or 5 other discussion forums -

I think by now you might have realized your arguments make no sense, but just in case, I am going to explain it further, on the off chance you're not just being a troll but you really don't get it.

1. XFX has up until recently sold the XFX 6970 2GB HD-697ACN-FC as a reference design card, whereas the HD-679X-ZDFC was non-reference and came with a different shroud. The mistake was impossible to male. HD-679X-ZDFC non reference with black cooler, HD-697ACN-FC is reference with black and red standard cooler.

2. MSI and PowerColor began selling a new PCB that no longer was reference before XFX, but they altered their model number to notify

3. XFX began to sell the same new non-reference PCB, but kept marketing it as the HD-697ACN-FC, a known reference design name. Notice the A in HD-697ACN-FC, indicating an AMD reference design.

4. The outer packaging has HD-697ACN-FC written on it, as well as the UPC code. Vendors and retailers therefore kept the model number intact on their website. The shroud also didn't change. Everything indicates you are getting a reference design.

5. EK has a website called CoolingConfigurator, which lists GPU cards by model numbers so you can double check which block will fit which card. The EK-6970FC card (Black Acetal version) was meant for the HD-697ACN-FC, as EK themselves confirmed it. Because, hey, HD-697ACN-FC is a reference design model number, remember?

6. You get the card. HD-697ACN-FC appears on the outside of the box. The cooler design is consistent with a reference card. Everything checks out... you install the card. I don't know of anyone who systematically dismantle their GPU to make sure the PCB checks out upon receing the card if everything else checks out. My block was already shipped anyway, as they come from the US and I am in Canada and it takes a while.

So, I did inspect the package. I did not dismantle card to inspect the PCB, nor could I know "HD-697ACN-FC V1.1" written on a small sticker behind the PCB meant a different PCB design. HD-697ACN-FC is HD-697ACN-FC, which is REFERENCE.

It was only I removed the cooler and tried to mount the block that I noticed the PCB design was different. So to recap:

A. XFX made fundamental changes to a REFERENCE DESIGN CARD but failed to modify the MODEL NUMBER to indicate the card NO LONGER was REFERENCE. (caps for emphasis to help you with comrehension).

B. XFX kept marketing the HD-697ACN-FC as a reference card, ie. with BIOS switch, backplate, and original components. They silently made the change but did not notify customers. Other companies did.

C. When asked why they had done this, instead of owning to their mistake, they blamed vendors with a nonsensical argument that holds no merit whatsoever.

I hope this makes it easier for you to understand.

what is even more a sign that the "OP" is just trying to stir drama is he has copied and pasted this same discussion over 4 or 5 other discussion forums -

This isn't a hate campaign. I contacted EK, ++++, Performance PC and other vendors and NO ONE knew about this silent revision change. Nobody.

I am doing my due diligence by warning others to CHECK their PCB if they did get a XFX card if they intend to get a 3rd party cooling solution, as they cannot trust packaging and model numbers. Everyone was thankful that was brought up to their attention. You're passing for a fool for thinking my only intent is to badmouth a company. What you did is jump on the "hate the hater" bandwagon without first grasping the facts correctly. My OP is rational, concise and to the point. This wasn't emotional, senseless ranting. It is perfectly justified, and I owe a lot more to the PC enthusiast community than to vendors. If you truly believe my only intention are self indulgent and cannot believe my warning was meant to help fellow enthusiasts avoid a trap, then you are either morally bankrupt or you are a true cynic. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
This isn't a hate campaign. I contacted EK, ++++, Performance PC and other vendors and NO ONE knew about this silent revision change. Nobody.

I am doing my due diligence by warning others to CHECK their PCB if they did get a XFX card if they intend to get a 3rd party cooling solution, as they cannot trust packaging and model numbers. Everyone was thankful that was brought up to their attention. You're passing for a fool for thinking my only intent is to badmouth a company. What you did is jump on the "hate the hater" bandwagon without first grasping the facts correctly. My OP is rational, concise and to the point. This wasn't emotional, senseless ranting. It is perfectly justified, and I owe a lot more to the PC enthusiast community than to vendors. If you truly believe my only intention are self indulgent and cannot believe my warning was meant to help fellow enthusiasts avoid a trap, then you are either morally bankrupt or you are a true cynic. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

I read just fine and I can tell the "it's everyone elses fault but mine". And your op was a "rip" on xfx. Specifically that an ek water block didn't work on a clearly labeled revision and that somehow the entire entity at fault is xfx. You yourself said you didn't check and ek's own website even has a warning to check the pcb before ordering.

ek said:
VGA FullCover XFX XFX Radeon™ HD 6970 2048 MB (HD-697A-CNFC)
Please check PCB your own and compare it to one published prior to block purchase.
visual

To me this says that ek was aware that you shouldn't just go by the model number.

My entire point is that when you get into after market parts you are going to run into situations like this. And your post was good but it's tone should have been more along the lines of. Xfx revised cards don't work with reference coolers and not.

Xfx secretly revises cards to screw after market coolers.

Informative post but the ranting at the end was unnecessary IMO.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yes, and EK added this warning to their website after I contacted them about the issue yesterday.

Forget the whole block situation. Forget it ever happened.

Say I specifically wanted a reference design because the BIOS switch and backplates were important to me. I did order a reference design based on model number. I would only have found out it wasn't reference until I opened the box.

What would you have advised then?

I read just fine and I can tell the "it's everyone elses fault but mine". And your op was a "rip" on xfx. Specifically that an ek water block didn't work on a clearly labeled revision and that somehow the entire entity at fault is xfx. You yourself said you didn't check and ek's own website even has a warning to check the pcb before ordering.

And said warning just appeared recently, apparently due to the OP's contact. It was not there 2 days ago when I verified

EVERY time a vendor releases a revision of their PCB/product, a new model number designation should be included (most vendor's do this, actually). HD-697ACN-FC 1.1 would be appropriate. CHANGING a few components to different vendors (IE Vregs in the same package/location or GDDR OEM's) is one thing. MOVING them and changing hole-spacing, while re-using the SAME model #, is not acceptable IMHO.

And the revision was NOT clearly labeled when the vendor's old product images did NOT reflect the change. If you go on the website where the OP ordered the product, the V1.0 box image is STILL available. There's absolutely no indication of the update. And as for checking the box when it arrives, well, a sealed box still incurs a re-ship cost and restocking fee at some vendors.

For every other company in the world, in every other industry, removing something as IMPORTANT as a BIOS selection switch (a major feature IMHO) would incur a model # change. Hell, look at the spec-sheets for most IC's... ROHS compliance and lead-free status typically incurs different model #s, even if EVERY other feature and spec is identical. If leaded or non-leaded status incurs a different vendor P/N, changing PCB revisions and removing features should as well.

And your post was good but it's tone should have been more along the lines of. Xfx revised cards don't work with reference coolers and not.

Xfx secretly revises cards to screw after market coolers.

Dude, I understand your initial reaction might have been premature as we often see emotionally disgruntled people who come on boards to rant about situations which they are usually or often responsible for. You jumped on the "hate the hater" bandwagon a bit too quickly, imho. You attacked my integrity and motive, and I took offense, so my tone did get more aggressive and defensive. I did not find the original post to be emotionally compromised. I think it states facts correctly and rationally and only seeks to inform, not manipulate.

Regardless of my issues with a block (as I have written before, lesson learned), the foundation of my "rant" if you want to call it that, is that I ordered a reference design and got something else. This is 100% a XFX mishap. If there is no way to know what version of the card you are getting until you OPEN it, this is ethically reprehensible.

Furthermore, XFX tried to blame this on the VENDOR of all people (not even me), rather than own to their mistake, and when I myself sought help, they offered to silently fix it for me only, when the correct thing to do would have been to make an announcement on their website, correct the model number so other people do not purchase this card mistakenly thinking they are getting a reference design.

In my case it was the reference design that I needed for the block, but for others, they might have needed the BIOS switch or backplate. My point is that my problem with the EK block is completely irrelevant to the main ethical issue at hand, and was only discussed because it is how I found out about the design change, though I admit I was frustrated. The main ethical issue at hand is how they secretly changed the design of a card without altering the model number to notify customers it was no longer reference design and that features had been stripped away.

Last edited:
They don't seem to get you. Sucks that this happened, really does. Does this now mean that you own 2 6970's?
Crossfire them :)

No, only the one. I'll upgrade to a 2nd one (obviously not from XFX) later, but need a new PSU first as I am at the limit of my current one.

This is true. I ordered a "reference" 5770 for a friend back then and instead received a "egg style" instead. Decided to just forget about it since my friend didn't want to deal with the hassle of returns. That then and there I stopped buying XFX. Not like I care about their warranty anyway since I go through new cards yearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back