MSI AM3 Boards to Support AM3+ CPUs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Internationally renowned motherboard and graphics card manufacturer MSI has officially announced compatibility with all AMD AM3+ multi-core processors on its AMD AM3 mainboards. By upgrading the BIOS with a few simple steps, users can enjoy the powerful performance of AMD AM3+ multi-core processors without having to purchase a new motherboard.

Current MSI board owners can download the latest BIOS updates to enable use of the latest AM3+ processors on their respective product pages. In addition, all future shipments of existing AM3 motherboards will have their BIOS updated from the factory before being sent out.

Link doesn't go anywhere besides MSI website.

Not sure how much I would trust their current motherboards with bulldozer based on their track record with x6 processors.

It does claim that it will work with all AM3+ processors, so I'm assuming it will work with Bulldozer. Which makes it plausible to believe that Asus's current AM3 890 boards will work with Bulldozer.

http://emm.msi.com/display.php?List=44&N=1029
Interesting... Makes me wonder whether its some sort of April fools thing or not- but it seems like the type of thing that could really upset people (like possible lawsuit for false advertising) if it IS an April fools. I'm tending to think this might actually be true.

Not only all of the issues previously posted, why are only those specific chipsets compatible? If if it is just a BIOS update, why isn't any AM3 board able to use AM3+ chips?

nvm: more chipsets are listed on the website...not just the 890 series.

Anyone try updating their BIOS? I went to the website and using the Live Online thing, it told me there were no BIOS updates for my board.

i thought the bulldozer chips had 1 or 2 more pins which is why they would not work on current am3 sockets.

"Some manufacturers have announced that some of their AM3 motherboards will support AM3+ CPUs, after a simple BIOS upgrade.[9] Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it's possible AM3+ CPUs will work in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current. Another issue might be the use of the sideband temperature sensor interface for reading the temperature from the CPU. Also, certain power-saving features may not work, due to lack of support for rapid VCore switching.[10] Note that use of AM3+ CPUs in AM3 boards may not be officially supported by AMD."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

Interesting to note- the silk screening on the MSI 890FX-GD65 shows "AM3+ CPU support" next to the socket... maybe they've actually been using the AM3+ form factor for their AM3 boards?

I seriously hate April Fools day because my emotions get so toyed around with.

The AMD guy has said numerous times that AMD won't support bulldozer on non AM3+ boards which technically doesn't mean that it won't work. As others said, Asus and Gygabyte announced this weeks ago. I believe someone ended up posting in the Asus thread that Asus had responded to the pin count discrepancy with the Bulldozer samples they were given did not have the extra pin that everyone thought was supposed to be there. Not sure if that is true though. Only time will tell, if it is true them wish i had gotten an 890 board and not an 870 from asus.

If this turns out to be true... would it be too much to ask that JF AMD guy to kiss my ass?

**** you AMD. I just went out and bought a sandybridge rig, retiring my AM3 phenom II rig, because I knew I wouldnt be able to use it to get a bulldozer CPU, and I badly wanted a CPU upgrade.

If this is true, im going to be a little bit pissed off. Although also still have a rather useful mobo. If bulldozer is good enough I could just sell the sandybridge stuff ;)

AM3+ sockets are supposed to be backwards compatible with current AM3 cpu's, so you could say that all current AMD cpu's are non bulldozer AM3+ chips ;)

I just built a computer with an MSI 870A-G54, and when installing the Phenom II X2 955 I actually did notice the socket had extra holes in it.

Thought nothing of it. Now I know!

What I am wondering is if even though it may be technically possible to use the current AM3 boards with bulldozer if that would hinder the processor's efficiency...

ASRock has an upcoming board, 870 Extreme3 R2.0 board that is AM3+ ready, UEFI, 8-core, etc.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=870 Extreme3 R2.0

Supports AM3+ Processor, 8-Core CPU Ready
100% All Solid Capacitor design
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1866(OC)
Supports ATI™ Quad CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™
2 x USB 3.0, 5 x SATA3, 2 x IEEE 1394, C.C.R. (Combo Cooler Retention Module)
Supports XFast USB, AXTU, Graphical UEFI, Instant Boot, Instant Flash, APP Charger, SmartView

7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 AUdio Codec)

Announcing it on Aprils 1st. might also announce it as an BIOS update for super socket 7 boards too.

"Some manufacturers have announced that some of their AM3 motherboards will support AM3+ CPUs, after a simple BIOS upgrade.[9] Mechanical compatibility has been confirmed and it's possible AM3+ CPUs will work in AM3 boards, provided they can supply enough peak current. Another issue might be the use of the sideband temperature sensor interface for reading the temperature from the CPU. Also, certain power-saving features may not work, due to lack of support for rapid VCore switching.[10] Note that use of AM3+ CPUs in AM3 boards may not be officially supported by AMD."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

Hmm... "Rapid VCore switching" and "sideband temperature sensor interface" maybe waiting for AM3+ boards may not be so bad...

Well, since MSI, Gigabyte and Asus say that there is no physical/mechanical difference, it should work as long as a BIOS update is provided.

Why do that when they can nick you for a new motherboard? You remember the promises of buy AM2 now, drop in AM3 in the future....Ya, that's a future that didn't come for a lot of boards, even though they were also capable.

Why do that when they can nick you for a new motherboard? You remember the promises of buy AM2 now, drop in AM3 in the future....Ya, that's a future that didn't come for a lot of boards, even though they were also capable.
I'll admit alot of people that bought "AM2+" (note the quotation marks) boards, usually from lower-tier mfgs, like ECS and (sometimes) Biostar, found out that they couldn't do a drop-in upgrade to Phenom II, not even the 920 and 940.

I remember my old Biostar TForce 570 SLI, found out that Biostar had no intentions of supporting Phenom 1 procs on it, told me that I had to buy either a TF570LT or a TF590 SLI+. (Bastages!!!)

Hopefully Kyle and Co. have enough time and resources to test bulldozer out on an AM3 board as well so that we can get a quick review on any performance hangups we may have with bulldozer.

I seriously hate April Fools day because my emotions get so toyed around with.
fwiw, ASUS had something similar out at least a week ago

If this turns out to be true... would it be too much to ask that JF AMD guy to kiss my ass?
The AMD guy has said numerous times that AMD won't support bulldozer on non AM3+ boards which technically doesn't mean that it won't work.
This. All it means is that it will not receive official support. Either way I'm waiting for 9 series chipsets.

I wonder how many MSI blow-ups Bulldozer will cause :rolleyes:

I know for a fact that the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 already has a beta bios available to run the AM3+ cpus and it's been out for around 2 weeks now. it's 03012 version.

If true, is AMD screwing up a huge opportunity to sell Bulldozer CPU's to partial up graders? I have the MSI GD70 now (hell of a MB) and if socket AM3 doesn't just completely cripple the Bulldozer... I will probably upgrade CPU before the MB.

If true, is AMD screwing up a huge opportunity to sell Bulldozer CPU's to partial up graders? I have the MSI GD70 now (hell of a MB) and if socket AM3 doesn't just completely cripple the Bulldozer... I will probably upgrade CPU before the MB.

Same board and same opinion on buying CPU before MB....I think its a smart move providing backwards compatability though, give me an opportunity to move more CPUs then they may otherwise...depending on how gimped, if at all, Bulldozer will be by the AM3 platform.

I wish they would send out some of these cpus for testing already so i can do some planning.

Not sure what AMD's take is on this. I am not sure it makes sense for motherboard makers to support AM3+ on their own, even if they physically can, because they lose the opportunity to sell customers a new motherboard. It might make sense for AMD to allow Bulldozer in an AM3 (vs. AM3+) socket because then they increase the number of people who can install, use, and love the new chip. Plus, with nVidia only licensing SLI to 900 series chipsets, some gamers will want to upgrade regardless, just to get SLI.

Back