Help! Can my laptop bitstream hd audio?

Jackoo

n00b
Ok, really need some help guys. I've been posting this all over forums and can't get an awnser.

I'm about to buy a 5.1 onkyo s3405 system. It comes with a receiver, speakers and a sub.

Now, before I spend the money and possibly screw myself, I need to know if my laptop is capable of bitstreaming DTS-HD MA and DD true hd if I connect it to the receiver with hdmi.

My plan is to hook up my laptop to the receiver via hdmi and then with another hdmi cable connect my lcd tv with the receiver.

Here are my laptop specs:

HP Pavilion dv7-3190EM

-Intel Core i5 430M 2,27GHz, 3MB L2

-4GB DDR3 1067MHz

-640GB (2 x 320) SMART SATA 5400rpm

-nVidia GeForce GT320M 1GB DDR3

1 x RJ45
1 x VGA
2 x AUDIO
1 x Express card 34/54
1 x HDMI

Nope because it's based on GT200b and G92b architecture, only Fermi based cards support those audio formats. Your system will decode it using the CPU instead and downsample it so it's usable by the video card's audio system.

if your laptop has either

switchable GPU

or

nVidia optimus

both are HW features, and cannot be added in via software

then you can bitstream via the Intel IGP.

Awww man, that sucks.

I posted this question on another forum and this guy wrote the following:

The GeForce GT 320M supports PureVideo HD (VP4) to decode HD videos with the GPU. H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 ASP (DivX or xVID) can be fully decoded by the GPU. Futhermore, CUDA and DirectCompute are supported to use the processing power of the graphics card for other applications (with modern drivers). PhysX is currently not supported because of the low shader count."

It appears you should be able to decode all audio formats on the laptop or bitstream them to your receiver. Should be good to go.

What the hell? What does that have to do with audio? I heard that nvidia uses "purevideo hd" as a name for dxva.

Last edited:
it supports multichannel pcm.
So you can still get hd audio, you just have to decode it first.

Truehd is simple. DTSHD is possible but a little complicated.

it supports multichannel pcm.
So you can still get hd audio, you just have to decode it first.

Truehd is simple. DTSHD is possible but a little complicated.

Do you have a link to any guide on how to do that?

I'm pretty much a tech noob.

Awww man, that sucks.

I posted this question on another forum and this guy wrote the following:

The GeForce GT 320M supports PureVideo HD (VP4) to decode HD videos with the GPU. H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 ASP (DivX or xVID) can be fully decoded by the GPU. Futhermore, CUDA and DirectCompute are supported to use the processing power of the graphics card for other applications (with modern drivers). PhysX is currently not supported because of the low shader count."

It appears you should be able to decode all audio formats on the laptop or bitstream them to your receiver. Should be good to go.

What the hell? What does that have to do with audio? I heard that nvidia uses "purevideo hd" as a name for dxva.

If you have a s/pdif or digital pass-through you can decode to AC3 AND DTS audio. Its also possible to output other audio formats in realtime to a receiver or digital speakers by re-encoding the to AC3 in real time.

All you have to do is install K-lite Codec pack. In ffdshow audio decoder go to the output page where you will find check boxes to enable s/pdif pass through for AC3 and DTS. If you want to send the audio from other formats thru you need to enable AC3 (s/pdif encode mode) checkbox under Supported output sample formats
To output s/pdif output enable the checkbox use s/pdif that is located in main tab.
If you want AC3FILTER to process audio decoder by a different directshow filter, then you need to enable PCM on the system tab

Remember I said s/pdif but its for Hdmi as well. In output you will see AC3 eac3 DOLBY TRUE HD DTS DTS-HD. Just tick all of them. Without buying anything. You can get klite Codec pack at filehippo.com. Its free

Last edited:
Do you have a link to any guide on how to do that?

I'm pretty much a tech noob.

It's a bit of a pain when you can't send out HD audio via bitstreaming. If you don't use software that takes exclusive control over the audio output there are a bunch of things that mess with the audio post-decoded. Windows itself has a bunch of post processors and mixers that can mess with the decoded PCM. On top of FFDShow you'll need to use something called Reclock. Using reclock with FFDShow is one of the only ways I know if that can send out bit-exact PCM audio.

Here's a guide (this guide uses another decoder., I suggest using FFDShow because it's an all in one decoder that easy to use):

The goal of this howto is to provide bit-perfect PCM output, without interference from the Windows mixer or any other application. Reclock can be used to obtain this objective. Note, that this howto will also work with commercial players such as Total Media Theatre 3 and Power DVD 9.

Note: WASAPI is a feature of Windows Vista/7. If you are using XP, you'll have to use Kernel Streaming, which can also be used for bit-exact output.

1) Setup MPC-HC

mpchc1.png

I've setup MPC-HC to decode AC3, TrueHD, DTS, LPCM, and AAC, but I've disabled FLAC support in favor of madFLAC which you can find at http://madshi.net/madFlac.rar

You'll want to modify the MPA decoder to output 24 bit PCM, and 5.1 audio, like so. Make sure that DRC is disabled.

mpchc2.png

Register madFLAC. When you playback a file with FLAC, you should see the following.

mpchc3.png

2) Install and configure Reclock 1.8.7.1

You can obtain the latest Reckock from Slysoft's forum. Here's the link to the latest version: http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupReClock1871.exe

Load "Configure Reclock" and set your settings to the following-

Audio Settings Tab:

PCM Output - "WASAPI Exclusive"
Sampling Rate - "24 bit padded to 32" [Some hardware will not accept 24 bit audio, but will accept 16 or 32 bit padded]
Output Mono Sources in both front channels - Checked [Not required for bit-perfect playback]

reclock1.png

Advanced Settings Tab:
Forced Reclock to be loaded instead of Default Renderers - Checked
Only load Reclock and show application dialog for the following applications - Checked
Add MPC-HC and set to "Load Always"

reclock2.png

WASAPI exclusive will disable the Windows mixer, and will prevent any other system or application sounds from being mixed in. However, Reclock in its default state will also modify the audio. To prevent this, we can disable the Reclock resampler through the registry.

Open Regedit and go to "COMPUTER\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Reclock\Config"
Right click to add a new value, select "DWORD (32 bit)" and name it:

BypassResampler

Double click the value, and set it to "1".

Regedit should show the following

regedit1.png

Now, let's test to make sure everything works. Load a movie or tv show, and display the Reclock filter page (Filters > Default DirectSound Device. You should see something like this:

reclockbitexact.png

It's important that the Audio section displays WASAPI excl. (bit-exact).
Bit-exact output ensures that the decoded PCM stream from the mixer is passed directly to your AVR or sound card's ADC without any modification, by the system, or Reclock itself. That means, you won't hear any system or application sounds, and the output will be unmolested by Reclock.

Back