Ivy Bridge on LGA 1155 but not with P67/H67/Z68 chipsets?

QuadDamage

Weaksauce
UPDATE: After further research, it seems Ivy Bridge IS IN FACT compatible with Cougar Point Chipsets (P67 and H67, and even possibly Z68).

So, a couple of months ago, we had a source stating that IB CPUs would in fact work with P67 and H67 chipsets with a simple BIOS update.

But now, there is this new slide posted on SemiAccurate that is supposedly part of Intel's new roadmap for Ivy Bridge. Nothing too specific, just seems like a general features description.

But what worried me is the fact that they are only announcing the 7 series chipsets (Panther Point) with Ivy Bridge CPUs.

Our current chipsets (Cougar Point - P67/H67 and possibly Z68) are not mentioned anywhere as being compatible with Ivy CPUs.

I can't believe Intel is about to pull the same old sucker punch trick and screw consumers once again.

Give us Ivy Bridge on LGA 1155 REGARDLESS OF chipset! I want an upgrade path, god damnit.

Here is the picture:

intel_ivy_bridge_pcie3-617x422.jpg

Sourcehttp://semiaccurate.com/2011/03/28/latest-intel-roadmap-confirms-pci-express-3-0-for-ivy-bridge/

EDIT: You may have noticed that Intel is also annoucing PCI-E 3.0 with Ivy Bridge. Could this be only available on 7 series chipsets, and if you stay with P67/H67/Z68 you only get PCI-E 2.1?

I wouldn't mind that... All I want is an upgrade path for my 2600k.

EDIT 2: According to wikipedia, Ivy Bridge will remain compatible with Cougar Point chipsets (P67/H67 and possibly Z68):

Ivy Bridge

Ivy Bridge is the codename given to the 22 nm die shrink of the Sandy Bridge architecture. During the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) on September 13, 2010, Intel's CEO Paul Otellini mentioned that Ivy Bridge processors may be introduced as early as in the second half of 2011.[53] According to early roadmap details, Intel is estimating that Ivy Bridge will offer a 20 percent CPU performance advantage over Sandy Bridge.[54]
On the graphics side, there will be support for DirectX 11 and OpenCL 1.1, and Intel is targeting a 30 percent graphics performance and 20 percent overall performance boost compared to Sandy Bridge.[54] It seems that Ivy Bridge might get 16 EUs.[55][56] A new Panther Point chipset, to be released with the Ivy Bridge platform, will offer native USB 3.0 support, while Cougar Point chipsets will be backwards compatible with the Ivy bridge platform.[57][58]
Intel has completed designing Ivy Bridge processors and is planning to showcase them during Computex Taiwan 2011 in June.[59] However, the processors might not come out until 2012.

Last edited:
We would need to see old slides from Penryn times to see how they showed 45nm CPUs and P965/P35 chipsets for comparison.

We would need to see old slides from Penryn times to see how they showed 45nm CPUs and P965/P35 chipsets for comparison.

I don't know about the slides from back then, but the fact is that the old P965 ended up supporting 45nm Core 2 CPUs with a BIOS update.

Same thing with P35 and X38.

P45 and X48 were released specifically for 45 nm chips, but the older chipsets worked with newer CPUs no problem.

All that was needed was a BIOS update.

And after researching the matter a little bit more, it seems Ivy Bridge will in fact be compatible with current motherboard chipsets (P67/H67).

Read HERE

I wouldn't believe anything until Intel puts out the final product.

I'm sticking with X58 till I see where Intel lands with these 22nm CPUs. Hopefully Intel will provide some new 22nm cpus for X58 chipset. That would be nice but I'm not putting alot of hope in this idea because I know it is all a business and Intel has to make money.

I wouldn't believe anything until Intel puts out the final product.

I'm sticking with X58 till I see where Intel lands with these 22nm CPUs. Hopefully Intel will provide some new 22nm cpus for X58 chipset. That would be nice but I'm not putting alot of hope in this idea because I know it is all a business and Intel has to make money.

No.

By the time Ivy Bridge is out, Intel will already have Sandy Bridge-EX 32nm out for the enthusiast segment, which is reportedly on socket LGA 2011 (or 1356, I don't know).

X58 chipset and LGA 1366 socket is dead as far as future CPUs are concerned.

Intel will not go back to it to release Ivy Bridge, get over it. It wouldn't even make any sense.

Sandy Bridge AND Ivy Bridge will be spread over 2 sockets: LGA 1155 and another upcoming enthusiast socket (read above).

Nor Sandy Bridge nor Ivy Bridge will EVER touch X58 or LGA 1366.

Meh... if my board ends up supporting Ivy Bridge, great! If it doesn't, no big deal. Its something that I've grown to accept and I'll more than likely skip it anyways.

I hope nobody actually expects there to be backwards compatibility as anything can happen.

BRING ON THE IVY!

Hope I can squeeze another 400MHz out of this 1155 setup..

I could see PCIe 3.0 working off the integrated PCIe x16 controller in IB on 6 series boards with a BIOS upgrade. The integrated x16 PCIe lanes do not go through the PCH. Any limitation is either by motherboard design spec, marketing or both. ;)

The fewer 6 series PCH PCIe lanes of course are limited to PCIe 2.0, so cards and devices connected to those lanes are limited no matter what.

I don't know about the slides from back then, but the fact is that the old P965 ended up supporting 45nm Core 2 CPUs with a BIOS update.
Yeah, but not all of them worked well even with official BIOS updates, eg. the ABIT IB9 Pro and ASUS P5B Plus. No end of trouble trying to run an E5200 and Q8300 in those, even at stock.

Yeah, on the low-/mid-range socket 1155, you only get 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU. PCIe 3.0 should help with bandwidth on 3 slot+ boards using bridges. x8/x8 on PCIe 2.0 takes a pretty minimal hit anyways. People just make a big deal out of it for virtually no reason.

The high end desktop socket 2011 SB supposedly has 40 lanes on die, plus a CSI link. There will probably be complaints about x16/x16/x8 boards too. :p

Asus already released a statement their boards will work with ivybridge if you buy them after the announcement

So if you were to buy a 2500K setup now, would that be a bad idea? Should I wait a bit? Not in any hurry. My system is ok for awhile.

So if you were to buy a 2500K setup now, would that be a bad idea? Should I wait a bit? Not in any hurry. My system is ok for awhile.

It's not a bad idea to upgrade now, it depends how badly you want it..

Waiting is always good and tests your patience. The IB will be out in 2012.

Ah 2012 is a no go. This build is for BF3 and it looks like it will be released prior to that. Better be anyway.

Good news is that it looks like a bios update will keep things kind of current.

UPDATE: After further research, it seems Ivy Bridge IS IN FACT compatible with Cougar Point Chipsets (P67 and H67, and even possibly Z68).

Was it ever determined if Ivy Bridge would support Z68? If not I may just settle with P67 for now. Frankly, I'm shocked that a chipset older than 6 months will work with a next subseries of Intel chips. I had a Pentium D board that wouldn't work with Core 2 Duo, then I had a Core 2 Duo board that wouldn't work with half of the Core 2 Duos and definitely no Core 2 Quad Q9XXX series processors.

By the time I land enough money, the new chipsets may be out anyway. I'm also surprised they didn't immediately move to Socket 2011 and abandon 1155 like they've pretty much done with 1366 and shortly 1156. I'm so glad I avoided 1366 and their ridiculous motherboard prices, especially when they became defunct 90% faster than 775.

I might play with fire again by putting together a build now with a P67 or Z68 board and the i5-2500k which already would be a giant leap in performance on my video editing Q9400 PC, later upgrading a year down the road to a Core i7 Ivy Bridge that allegedly will have 20% gains over Sandy Bridge. However, I don't want to get burned again by getting the wrong chipset, or these days, the wrong socket altogether. The Asus P5LD2, equipped with the first dual-core processor ever made for home consumers that I just had to have. the Pentium D 820, taught me that hard lesson.

Uhhhhhhhhh.... ivy bridge is completely marketed as the high end socket I thought from the intel slides... it's sandy bridge that's for the proletariat

Uhhhhhhhhh.... ivy bridge is completely marketed as the high end socket I thought from the intel slides... it's sandy bridge that's for the proletariat

Ivy bridge is the Sandy Bridge replacement - it will replace both the mainstream Sandy Bridge and the enthusiast SB-E.

There's high end SB chips (ie i7-2600k/i5-2500k) but as a whole SB was not meant to be high end. Some would argue they don't provide enough PCI-e lanes or memory bandwidth. That's what LGA 1366 and (eventually) LGA 2011 are for.

Sandy/Ivy doesn't have anything to do with market segmentation. Those are just names of architecture.

First LGA 2011 chips will be using Sandy Bridge architecture and then replaced by Ivy Bridge cpu in 2012

You sure? I could have sworn I saw slides with intel selling them both simultaneously.
Afaict first the mainstream ivy bridge will come out first replacing the mainstream sandy bridge and the high end ivy bridge will come out later replacing the high end sandy bridge.

Not sure about the current LGA1155 but i'm going from LGA 1366 to LGA2011 + SandyBridge-E next then upgrade the Ivybridge later next year, who's with me?

Not sure about the current LGA1155 but i'm going from LGA 1366 to LGA2011 + SandyBridge-E next then upgrade the Ivybridge later next year, who's with me?

I'd wait till Ivy Bridge hits 2011 to be honest. Especially with a nice 4Ghz 1366 setup.

But my plan for now is:

jump to Bulldozer if it performs decently and is compatible with my am3 mobo as asus promised and use it to ride into half of 2012 before jumping into 2011 Ivy Bridge setup with Kepler based GPU.

well if Bulldozer sucks I'll jump into cheap second hand 1366 for now :)

I'd wait till Ivy Bridge hits 2011 to be honest. Especially with a nice 4Ghz 1366 setup.

Who knows when that'll be though, Ivy Bridge is currently March/April next year for "mainstream" with SandyBridge-E as performance/enthusiast according to the roadmaps posted so far.

Intel-roadmap-Ivy-Bridge.png

Hmm then I guess the question is - do you feel like your CPU is bottlenecking you ?

Now I'm pissed off with my X6 trash so I want to get rid of it asap but it would be lot diffrent with i7.

I would guess the high end ivy bridge stuff would appear in late 2012 or early 2013.

Personally my gut feeling would be to hold off upgrading until you can get a CPU that performs at least twice as well as your current one in the apps you run.

I plan on doing the same thing as you. I also plan on ditching my 5850's for whatever is new the fall.

Hurry up Fall! :D

Bumping an old post, but my original DS3 Rev1 simply does.not.support. 45nm cpus. You need at least a Rev2 and a bios update.

ivy looks pretty nice from what I read.

do you guys think it be early or mid or late 2012?

Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty has pci-e 3.0 and ivy bridge support.

And, they're releasing an entire "Gen 3" series of Z68 mainboards supporting PCIe 3.0 in August.

They're using a PLX chip to provide the support, and additional PCIe lanes. Seeing as I'm on Socket 755 still, I may take my chances with 1155 being compatible with IB; I really don't want to wait until Q2 2012 for my upgrade. Maybe I'll just buy a used Sandy Bridge CPU to save some cash.

I really don't want to wait until Q2 2012 for my upgrade. Maybe I'll just buy a used Sandy Bridge CPU to save some cash.

Wait it out!

You have made it this far, not too much longer. You will get native PCI-E 3 and maybe USB 3 (?).

Wait it out!

You have made it this far, not too much longer. You will get native PCI-E 3 and maybe USB 3 (?).

I'd get native USB 3. I'll be able to get PCIe 3.0 in August with Asrock's new "Gen 3" mainboard series, and there aren't any PCIe 3.0 graphics cards available yet AFAIK, and I don't plan on replacing my Radeon 6970 any time soon.

I'm okay with not having Intel-native USB3 as long as the chipset on the mainboard I purchase has reasonable driver support. 7-series mainboards and IB chips aren't going to be available until at least March-April of 2012; that's awhile to wait.

Back