CoreAVC (Metroska converter) now supporting AMD acceleration

Dr.GumbyM.D.

Limp Gawd
I just got their email, and figured I'd share. They've always included NV Cuda accelerated decoding support for their program, but now added AMD acceleration (OpenCL I guess?). It's also on sale for the next few days. I haven't had time to try it yet, but their software had no problem decoding 1080p video through WMP, where I've had trouble using VLC to play 1080p content. I'm sure many of you (if not most) know better than I about encoding/decoding video, but I thought I'd share because I've had great success with their program, and the discount makes it cheap enough that it's not worth stealing :p (about the cost of a fast-food meal) and they're worth supporting.

From the email:

ATI users rejoice! CoreCodec is proud to announce the release of
CoreAVC 2.5 Professional Edition for Windows with support for DXVA.

To celebrate this release, we are also offering a friends and family
discount of $4.00 off the regular $12.99 price until March 31st.
This discount is available with the code "25launch". Feel free to
share with friends, twitter, etc., or use it to add a second PC for
yourself.

Purchase URL: https://customers.corecodec.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=10

Hope someone benefits from this!

Does this converter add any functionality to GPGPU converting compared to AMD's built-in converter in CCC? If not, this seems kinda meh to me. I remember reading some stuff that said Badaboom was horrendous, but don't remember why.

Does this converter add any functionality to GPGPU converting compared to AMD's built-in converter in CCC? If not, this seems kinda meh to me. I remember reading some stuff that said Badaboom was horrendous, but don't remember why.

It's not a video transcoder - it's a video decoder. CoreAVC is used to offload video decoding (high definition video content, h.264, AVC-1, etc - the stuff on Blu-ray media more often than not) onto the GPU or by using CoreAVC's native software decoder.

It's not used for converting videos from one format to another.

CoreAVC is used to offload video decoding (high definition video content, h.264, AVC-1, etc - the stuff on Blu-ray media more often than not) onto the GPU or by using CoreAVC's native software decoder.

It's still limited to H.264 (AVC), as the name implies.

I upgraded and tried it using DXVA mode on my integrated Radeon 3200, tons of artifacts everywhere, worse than using other DXVA decoders (ffdshow, internal MPC-HC, etc), but at least it doesn't stutter when playing videos. It may just be the Radeon 3200 which cannot do DXVA as well as the modern cards.

I also tried DXVA mode on a Geforce 210, that looked bad. I switched to CUDA mode and it looked fine again. I think there will need to be an update before Coreavc dxva mode is useful.

Hrrrm I dont offload anything video decoding to my GPU. I prefer good old CPU pushed software. My CPU is about oh I dont know .... 50 gabillion times faster than any GPU in raw computing power. But good to see that the support is growing for AMD cards.

Hrrrm I dont offload anything video decoding to my GPU. I prefer good old CPU pushed software. My CPU is about oh I dont know .... 50 gabillion times faster than any GPU in raw computing power. But good to see that the support is growing for AMD cards.

For underpowered systems CoreAVC is a godsend. The standard FFDshow free codecs etc. are much slower compared to CoreAVC. You can't tell on a fast system but I bought CoreAVC for use on weaker laptops, netbooks, HTPCs, etc.

With CoreAVC you can even underclock laptops/netbooks to save power because the HD videos will run smoothly even when your CPU is downclocked.

For most properly formatted H.264 videos HC-MPC can do DXVA for Nvidia and AMD cards. Not nearly as tolerant of encoding issues as CoreAVC, but it's there.

Back