P67/Z68 ITX: what the manufacturers say

Mousemagician

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
Like many of you, I’m a victim of the “SFF fever”.:p
I built MINI ITX systems in the past, and I got plenty of satisfaction! As an example, I had a lot of fun building a Zotac GF9300 WiFi with Intel E3200 oced at 3.6 GHz inside an Antec Mini-Skeleton:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1035348050#post1035348050

After the SandyBridge came out, with SATA 6GBs, USB3.0, Intel 2600K support, and new integrated video, I couldn’t resist to the temptation to build a kickass gaming Mini-ITX!!!:cool:
The result is that, in a wave of excitation, I sold ALL the components of my beloved gigantic gaming machine on eBay (see specs in my signature), to invest the earned money in the SB ITX.:eek:

The aim is having at the end of the day a tiny, silent, and powerful gaming machine…
First step (and the really most difficult one): to find the right MoBo.:confused:

You all know what I’m talking about: an ITX MoBo bearing the Intel P67 chipset. :)
In fact, because of the crazy marketing decision of Intel to commercialize the H67 (with integrated video but no ocing abilities) and the P67 (with ocing abilities but no integrated video), Mini-ITX manufacturers were forced to produce the most sellable one: the H67. The reason seems to be that the major use of ITX systems is as HTPC. That’s perfectly understandable!:rolleyes:
Thus, I NEED someone producing a P67 ITX!!!
Another possibility could be to wait for the Z68 chipset to come out, and then hoping that some manufacturer makes an ITX with that! I other words: it’s a matter of time!

Time is something people crazy for computer building like me cannot stand at all!!!
Finally, I decided to ask directly to the major MoBo manufacturers out there. Here you are the kind of email that I sent:
Dear ___ customer service,
I was wondering if you are working on a mini-ITX motherboard with the Intel P67 chipset.
I'm interested on the overclocking features of the P67, in the small form factor mini-ITX for a powerful gaming small system.
There are many customers of yours like myself that will jump on that platform as soon as it will be available!
If you are working on such a platform, could you please indicate me the estimated release date? If it's not, do you forecast any Z68 ITX in the future?
I'd prefer to wait for the P67/Z68 than invest now on the H67!
Waiting for your answer.
Thank you in advance.
Here you are the list of the manufacturers that I sent the message to:
· Zotac
· Asus
· Gigabyte
· ECS-USA
· MSI
· Asrock
The most interesting answers came from ECS and Asrock:
Reply rom ECS-USA:
We have no current plans to start a Mini ITX P67, while that is a great idea. There is some, while small, design consideration as the mini ITX motherboard have very limited space for cooling and also for components.
The Mini ITX Form factor itself is more about conserving space, energy, so the limited space is a hard one when you need it both to add power for performance and cooling it down. However the technologies have enable us now to start putting in more power in smaller package and possibly to come out with MiniITX with good O.C. capability, and we have done it a few times now as you can see with our H55H-I.
I don’t want to go too deep now, but I guess the only thing stopping ECS from producing one really, is the video capability that P67 does not have which is what most of user are looking for in smaller package since it would be hard to insert a nicer graphic card, some case even restrict so much space for Mini ITX, it’s not possible to add graphic card. So at this time I would suggest to go with a H67 if you really want Mini ITX.
Thanks!
My 1st reply to ECS:
Thank you very much for the time you spent answering my email.
If I would summarize, even about what you wisely didn't say:
1) No P67 MINI ITX, because of the absence of integrated video
2) If you want overclock on SandyBridge with ITX form factor, wait for the Z68, but it will take months (or also more than a year) to have them appear on the market.
Am I right? I would really appreciate your verdict.
Thus, I likely will go with H67 ITX, since stock SB such as 2600 would be better than any oced H55 ITX.
Anyways, will you produce a Z68 ITX ever? THAT would be interesting!
Footnote: your H55H-I is a great MoBo; you kicked some asses out there, as on the Thom's review on February 2010.
Thank you.
Then, from ECS-USA:
1. Not entirely, but YES! But once again possible scenario may be using a MXMII for Video, but unlikely at this time.
2. Z68 … MAYBE … Mini ITX, very plausible… depending on CPU pricing however, IMO. If all its CPU pricing is higher than 250… mini itx, will be less likely.
I say if you really really want a p67 mini itx.. wait about 2 months just to see if anyone offer it.. providing you can wait.. or contact other manufacture like you contacted me. IF they are willing to let you in on their plan.
I do see a market for it, its just a concept ECS don’t see a BIG market for yet, but it surely is there and offering of its kind may just be around the corner and maybe not.
[FONT=&quot]My last reply to ECS-USA:[/FONT]
Mmm...
I probably understood what you meant.
Thanks a lot; it has been a pleasure talking to you.
And thanks ECS!
Enjoy.
[FONT=&quot]Here there is the Asrock reply:[/FONT]
Hello,
we thank you for your suggestion and we will evaluate the Z68 solution.
But right now, we cannot say if and when it might be available and what kind of spec it might have…
Best regards,
ASRock Support
[FONT=&quot]Gigabyte has been a little bit disappointing, since it’s the most probable producer of a P67 ITX platform:[/FONT]
Dear customer,
We currently do not have an ETA on the release of the GA-H67N-USB3. Please check our website for updates. WWW.GIGABYTE.US
Thank you
[FONT=&quot]The same day I got this reply, the GA-H67N-USB3 went available on Newegg! I suppose they intended the GA-P67N-USB3…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MSI reply:[/FONT]
Right now there are no plans for this product due to the chipset licensing and our manufacturing ability. We are actively looking for new ways to take advantage of the growing mini-ITX market, so we may try to find a solution that meets your needs – unfortunately, there is no ETA at this time.
If anything changes, you will definitely see a press release about it, though!
Thanks for your inquiry.
Thus, no P67 from MSI.
Do you know what I got from Zotac and Asus? NOTHING!!! This is very unpleasant, since these are the most important ITX manufacturer, along with Gigabyte that was wrong and telegraphic.
I can understand that they want keep their marketing secret, but an answer to a customer is just matter of good manner.
Shame on you Zotac and Asus, most of all since I was tempted to purchase the Zotac H67ITX-C-E before any P67 would have been available.
As a result of this correspondence, I probably will purchase the ECS H67H2-I. Thus I can patiently wait until a Z68 comes out.
I like the ECS H67 ITX because:
1. There is an empty mini-PCIe slot, for a wifi, a TV tuner, or a mini-PCE SSD (when it will be available). Many others don’t have any mini-PCIe slot (Gigabyte and Asrock H67M-ITX), or bear a half height one (such as the Asus P8H67-I DeLuxe and Asrock H67M-ITX/HT), or have a full length mini PCIe slot occupied by a cheap WiFi card (such as the Zotac H67ITX-C-E).
2. All solid capacitors. Important for such a small form factor.
3. 240 pin ram (instead of the 204 pin SDRAM of the Asus).
4. It will be cheaper that similarly equipped ITX from the other manufacturers (see the case of the H55H-I).
5. The communication with the ECS representative has been compelling and rich of information.
The only limitation with the ECS ITX will be the absence of a USB3.0 header. The Zotac and Asus ones have them. Anyways, today there aren’t any cases supporting front UBS3.0 that can be connected to the header, but only to the USB3.0 in the rear I/O by USB adapter (see the LianLi cases, as an example).

I think this is the first list of ITX manufacturer official responses to our questions...:p
What do you SFF fanatics think about that?

Last edited:
Zotac is long known for absolute shit customer service, so I'm not surprised you didn't get an e-mail back. I doubt they will produce a P67 mobo in the mITX format, which is extremely disappointing as I've become hooked on the mini-pcie slots...

DFI filled a very important niche, unfortunately they couldn't hang with it... I'll be interested to see what ECS comes up with, guess I should send them some pics of Neutronium, lol, maybe that will wake them up a bit.

Thanks for this write-up, i'm in the same boat with you. I think it's safe to say now that we won't see any P67 miniITX motherboards, the main reason is the upcoming Z68 chipset that is designed for this purpose. The only question is when it will hit the market? Any info on this? I'm so, so tired of waiting. Waiting for a good 3rd gen SSDs, wating for a good video card (thankfully, nvidia and ati delivered this), waiting for a good mini itx gaming case.

Last edited:
Zotac is long known for absolute shit customer service, so I'm not surprised you didn't get an e-mail back. I doubt they will produce a P67 mobo in the mITX format, which is extremely disappointing as I've become hooked on the mini-pcie slots...
I feel the same disappointment, but lastly I'm getting more optimistic: the mini-PCIe slots will be ok on the H67 that support it (Zotac, ECS, and the half height on the Asus and Asrock). Most importantly, the H67 will behave in a ITX board similarly compared to the bigger Micro-ATX and full ATX H67. In other words, the performances will be better than an oced 1156 CPU.
I found a couple of interesting benchmarks about that, such as this Bit-Tech review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/21/zotac-h67-itx-review/3

Thanks for this write-up, i'm in the same boat with you. I think it's safe to say now that we won't see any P67 miniITX motherboards, the main reason is the upcoming Z68 chipset that is designed for this purpose. The only question is when it will hit the market? Any info on this? I'm so, so tired of waiting. Waiting for a good 3rd gen SSDs, wating for a good video card (thankfully, nvidia and ati delivered this), waiting for a good mini itx gaming case.
You have all my sympathies!:)
That's what I think will fill the void:
Case: LianLi PC-Q08
MoBo: a good Z68 --> until then, a good H67 (maybe the ECS H67H2-I)
CPU: Intel i7 2600K (waiting for the Z68)
CPU heatsink: Noctua NH-C14, with only lower fan installed. I know... you think it is too big... I made my measurements (I have the Q08 case) and I can bet it will fit just fine.
GPU: XFX HD6950 2GB (to flash to 6970). It's coming from Newegg!
GPU heatsink: Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Plus + VR001 (the same considerations than these about the Noctua)
RAM: 2x4GB 1600 GHz DDR3 (to be decided)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 (from my former gaming system). It fits perfectly, as from SilentPCReview http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1074-page5.html
I'm gonna need some time (and bucks), but I'll succeed, you bet!

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?
I bet, I'm not sure 100%, but confident;)
I need about 11cm clearance from the CPU, and my measurements say that it's OK.
noctua.jpg
noctua.jpg
noctua.jpg]
noctua.th.jpg
noctua.jpg
noctua.jpg

24mm from the GPU...
cpuheatsinkclearanceoni.jpg

These measurements are for the Zotac H67, but it should be the same for all the H67 out there.:rolleyes:
The biggest problem is the back of the board: the Zotac is plenty of stamped around the backplate, and the Noctua uses a special retention unit that will interfere with those!
I didn't have the chance to see the back of the ECS... I'll post it ASAP.

The problem with Noctua NH-C14 is the space between the video card and the heatsink, in the case of the Noctua NH-C14, those heatpipes. I'm not sure from those pictures if it will fit or not...

The problem with Noctua NH-C14 is the space between the video card and the heatsink, in the case of the Noctua NH-C14, those heatpipes. I'm not sure from those pictures if it will fit or not...
You are right...
THIS is the point!:rolleyes:
If you compare the measures of the Noctua with the ones of the Thermaltight AXP-140 (that fits in for sure, as shown from other threads), the Noctua occupies16.6 cm total, while the AXP-140 14.5 cm.
noctua.jpg

axp140size.jpg
I need to check this aspect more accurately!:eek:
Worst case scenario, I'll use the Thermalright AXP-140 RT or the Prolimatech Samuel 17:p
Thanks anyway for the hints;)

Thanks a lot for posting this - I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get an H67 board for my new setup - it's just a shame since I have a 2600K. :(

People seemed pretty optimistic about a P67 ITX, but after this amount of time it really didn't seem likely. I can't believe some of them might not consider a Z68 ITX board, though. This is properly-cooled (ie. not a gaming laptop ;)), upgradeable, desktop performance in a genuinely small form factor - surely the future?!

Too bad the Noctua measurements don't show the length at the heatpipes:
capturead.jpg

The same length of that part on the TR AXP-140 is 34.35 mm. In the Noctua's case, if the length of the CPU base is 40 mm, then it should be 51 mm, so no fit.

capturead.jpg

The same length of that part on the TR AXP-140 is 34.35 mm. In the Noctua's case, if the length of the CPU base is 40 mm, then it should be 51 mm, so no fit.

With that pic you could pixel count and get an idea -- you've got two baselines, 75 and 166 to check that it is to scale. That would give you a ballpark at least.

If you look at the H55/P55 boards that thermalright fits with just a few millimeters clearance.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528717

That noctua looks unlikely to fit, even if that 51mm estimate is more than 1cm off. The spacing may be a bit different in the H67 boards, but probably less than 1cm.

All the pictures I've seen of H67 boards look to have the mounting holes in about the same spot as the H55 boards in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1500679

I'm taking a guess that due to the graphics card, you can mount the cooler upside down, but do you really want to do that. There is a reason why Noctua recommends that you have the bended part in the bottom - probably vapor chilled or something.

Now I've also seen people who tried to do it and made it safer by putting in some rubber/insulation tape/duct tape between the heat pipe and the video card.

P.S. I'm a big Noctua fan (not that kind of fan...), so I'm going to get mATX board so I could use it, or until someone put the H67/Z68 puts it in a good socket position or wait for AMD's llano or bulldozer's ITX boards.

Last edited:
Mousemagician, great job! When did you send out your original emails?

I'm taking a guess that due to the graphics card, you can mount the cooler upside down, but do you really want to do that. There is a reason why Noctua recommends that you have the bended part in the bottom - probably vapor chilled or something..

Depends on the miniITX case you use. Some of them (most of them) place the mobo at orizontal, not vertical.

If you are really pushed for space you could try some kind of pcie riser solution to move the GPU further away. That might cause space problems of its own though.

Blah. I'm also waiting to ditch my H67 board to get a z67 or P67 mini-ITX. looks like i'll be waiting for a while. Not like the i7 2600k needs to be OC'd (comparing it to my previous x3440 oc'ed on the DFI MI P55-T36 @ 3.23GHz... the 2600k @ stock KILLS it)... it's just a matter of making the point that us Mini-ITX performance guys are restricted from doing so, at all that frustrates me.

I honestly won't do any overclocking in my M-ITX build, but if the Z68 really does let you build your own hybrid disk drive with a SSD and a HD then that is a must have feature.

capturead.jpg

Using the power of math, I predict it will be 26mm! :D Seriously though, in the left schematic we see that the fin array is 140mm, and in the right schematic it shows the fin array plus the heatpipes to be 166mm. The 140mm fans in the drawings are square, so that suggests the 140mm distance works on both sides of the array. So there is hope, but actual measurements would still be nice. :)

Using the power of math, I predict it will be 26mm! :D Seriously though, in the left schematic we see that the fin array is 140mm, and in the right schematic it shows the fin array plus the heatpipes to be 166mm. The 140mm fans in the drawings are square, so that suggests the 140mm distance works on both sides of the array. So there is hope, but actual measurements would still be nice. :)

Except for the part where the red question mark goes all the way to the edge of the cpu plate, which is not lined up with the top of the array.

I award you no points :D

Mousemagician, great job! When did you send out your original emails?
Thank you for the appreciation!:D
I'm glad to share... I knew that I wasn't alone in such a situation...:confused:
The emails have been sent on 03/20/11 and the answers arrived within a week.
Thanks again.

capturead.jpg

Thanks, DG25,
I did the same math... won't fit!:(
But the idea of mounting the Noctua at 90 degrees is very tempting!:D
It's 70 mm from the center of the CPU; I need to know how long is the CPU groove.:confused:
I'm gonna work on it!
I'll keep you posted.

Except for the part where the red question mark goes all the way to the edge of the cpu plate, which is not lined up with the top of the array.

I award you no points :D

This is true. I would guess ~50-60mm based on some rough estimation.

There is a reason why Noctua recommends that you have the bended part in the bottom - probably vapor chilled or something.

Now I've also seen people who tried to do it and made it safer by putting in some rubber/insulation tape/duct tape between the heat pipe and the video card.
This also should be taken in consideration:rolleyes:
Noctua states clearly that the heatsink must be mounted with the bended heatpipes in the bottom. Could it be because of the backplate specs?

But the idea of mounting the Noctua at 90 degrees is very tempting!:D
It's 70 mm from the center of the CPU; I need to know how long is the CPU groove.:confused:
It's the same CPU base as the TR AXP 140. Same six heatpipes, i guess it's the same diameter for each. The Noctua base should be 40x50mm, just as the TR AXP140. So if you want to mount it at 90 degrees, that distance should be ~45mm (70mm-25mm). So again, no fit.

One possibility would be to bend the heatpipes and mount it just like the TR AXP140, with the heatpipes near the video card. I don't know how malleable are Noctua's heatpipes...

Why don't you use the TR AXP 140? It's the biggest heatsink that fits on these mobos, as far as i know...

It's the same CPU base as the TR AXP 140. Same six heatpipes, i guess it's the same diameter for each. The Noctua base should be 40x50mm, just as the TR AXP140. So if you want to mount it at 90 degrees, that distance should be ~45mm (70mm-25mm). So again, no fit.
I see:mad:, I think that there's no way to make it fitting in any ways...:(
One possibility would be to bend the heatpipes and mount it just like the TR AXP140, with the heatpipes near the video card. I don't know how malleable are Noctua's heatpipes...
I would have attempted that if I've already had the heatsink laying around from some other disassembled system. I certainly don't want to spend $90 for this kind of modding.
Anyways, I suppose that it would be feasible, paying a lot of attention to the bending... Moreover, such a bending will tilt the fins and attached fan toward the CPU, with the risk to push onto other components as memory and chipset heatsink. To avoid that, the heatpipes supporting the fins would need to be bended as well. I suppose that also this could be achieved, with really a lot of attention...:eek:
Why don't you use the TR AXP 140? It's the biggest heatsink that fits on these mobos, as far as i know...
Good question! Honestly, these were my reasons:
1) It would have been COOL to do that.:cool:
2) The Noctua is a bad ass cooler, with high performances and silent operation. Better than the TR AXP-140 and the Samuel 17.:eek:
3) I liked the challenge.:D
I would add that, using a H67 chipset, an aftermarket heatsink could be orvekilling, based on the stock temps of the CPU. Unless you are looking for the silence... That's my case! Thus, I'm gonna use a Prolimatech Samuel 17 with a Nexus 12mm D12SL-12 PWM ($62.38 shipped from Heatsink factory) or the TR AXP-10 (from the same seller).
Thank's for your help, it has been precious!
:)

Last edited:
Would a sealed H2O cooler be ruled out (yes I understand the radiator defeats the "purity" and may not be possible)? An H50 or similar?
It might involve using something like a motorcycle oil cooler radiator and a build it system (motorcycle radiator might be large enough for passive cooling and small enough to use) .
Do not know parameters.
Alternative is case mod to fit cooler, if possible. (air cooling that is). Turbo scoop design? After all you are pushing beyond the intended thermal limits already.?
Just blue sky thoughts, no net rage please.

Would a sealed H2O cooler be ruled out (yes I understand the radiator defeats the "purity" and may not be possible)? An H50 or similar?
It might involve using something like a motorcycle oil cooler radiator and a build it system (motorcycle radiator might be large enough for passive cooling and small enough to use) .
Do not know parameters.
Alternative is case mod to fit cooler, if possible. (air cooling that is). Turbo scoop design? After all you are pushing beyond the intended thermal limits already.?
Just blue sky thoughts, no net rage please.

I think an h50 would be a good option for sff system, an h50 becomes an attractive option when you can't fit a tower cooler in your case.

Nice work Mouse. I too am waiting for an overclockable mini ITX 1155 board.. My 1366 board is almost dead and I'm just nursing it along until somebody releases a board in my favorite form factor. :)

Nice work Mouse. I too am waiting for an overclockable mini ITX 1155 board.. My 1366 board is almost dead and I'm just nursing it along until somebody releases a board in my favorite form factor. :)
Thank you!
The overclockable 1155 ITX is something many of us are hoping for...:rolleyes:
I'm going to jump on the ECS H67H2-I as soon as it's available, and then patiently wait for a Z68 ITX...
I already got rid of my loved i7 920+P6TDeLuxe+Fanless CrossfireX HD4850
Figure that in the meantime, I put my old Atom 330 ITX inside the PC-Q08, just to make it lite on!
...an atom 330 powered by a CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700... go figure...:(

I don't know about their future plans, but Giada is a ITX player, I have never used them but they are there. They have an h55 board on newegg and on thier website they have h67 and h61 ITX boards with good socket pci slot spacing.

www.giadatech.com

I don't know about their future plans, but Giada is a ITX player, I have never used them but they are there. They have an h55 board on newegg and on thier website they have h67 and h61 ITX boards with good socket pci slot spacing.

www.giadatech.com

But look at what Eurosport found!!!!:eek:
I'd almost forgot the Giada H55 that is on Newegg...
Thus, I went to Giadatech an found this H67 ITX: http://www.giadatech.com/index.php?app=product&act=show&id=52.
Here, the CPU is in the PERFECT location!:D:D
No more cramped space close to the VGA... It's a dream!
Specs are extremely interesting; what caught my attention is:
Storage:2 x Mini-PCIe, 2 xSATA3.0 6Gb/s ports, 2 xSATA2.0 3Gb/s ports
USB
: 6xHeader USB2.0, 6xRear (2xUSB3.0, 4xUSB2.0)
Back Panel I/O Ports
: 2 x Wi-Fi attenna aperture, 1 x DVI, 1 x LAN(RJ45) port, 1 x HDMI, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x PS/2 Keyboard port, 1 x6jack audio interface (includes 1xS/PDIF-out port Optical), 4 x USB 2.0/1.1
Internal I/O Connectors
: 3 x USB connectors support additional 6 USB 2.0 ports, 6 x SATA connectors, 1 x 20-pin ATX Power connector, 1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

The problem is that the pictures in the site don't correspond with the description:

1. There are only 4 SATA ports (all yellow, not clear if any of them is 6GBs)
  2. Only 1 Mini PCIe is visible (maybe the second is on the back)
  3. No pics of the I/O plate (to see the wifi antenna aperture)
It also seems that there is a USB 3.0 header between the chipset and the PCI 16X slot.
The bad is that there is only 1x3pin fan plug:(.
No idea about the back, to see if there is the possibility to install a CPU heastsink backplate.
Moreover, there is no manual, to understand the final layout of the MoBo.
Likely, this ITX is still a "work in progress" from Giadathech.
I have a question for anyone can answer: have you ever seen a review about Giadatech?:confused: I didn't, so far.

Last edited:
Giadatech mobo seems interesting. But I agree that the specs and picture dont match. I would need to see something a little more concrete.

I may be out of the loop, but am I getting the notion that H67 does not support overclocking, but P67 does? I have not done my research yet.

Yes, only P67 has support for overclocking. And there's no mini itx mobo with P67, but the upcoming Z68 chipset will support oc and i'm pretty sure there'll be mini itx mobos with it (as it has support for both integrated GPU and overclocking).

Back