Help with Asetek 92mm AIO kit in SFF/HTPC?

goracer

n00b
Here is my original thread as I intended to mod the case drilling holes on the lid, mounting to support bar and then using weather strip for the gap between the lid and support bar...http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1593120

The case has alot of ventilation holes on the side and bottom front to pull cold air from, so I have decided to mount the radiator to the rear exhaust fans. I thinks some aluminum flat bars would work as the support. The current issue is what screws to use to mount the fan? The ones that came with the fan will destroy the radiator hole threads.

th_2011-03-19_18-20-45_854.jpg

You have to find out what screws work with your radiator. The most common ones I find are M4 screws, but it really varies with the manufacturer. You should check with your manual (if you still have it) or the website and try to figure out what threading it uses. Otherwise, e-mail asetek and ask them what threads the radiator uses.

^ No manual, this is prerelease version. Most likely will be rebadged as either Corsair or Antec. An internal setup would not be possible without an AIO kit. Thanks Zack! :D

> You will want to start by looking for 6-32 UTS screws. The size of your fan
> will determine the length of the 6-32 screw needed. The critical thing is to
> use a screw that won¹t extend more than .175" into the mounting holes. For a
> typical 1² thick fan we recommend a screw length of 1 1Ž4² inch screw with a
> washer under the screw head.
>
> -Zack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

That sounds like a fairly standard size, which you can find at any hardware store. Just get a screw that is slightly longer than the thickness of your fan, and you're good to go. I would highly suggest bringing the fan and maybe the radiator to compare.

To be safe, put the 1st screw in with the fan rotated 90-180* so you can visually check that the screw stops before contact with the fins in the rad.

^ It's a pre production or prerelease model direct from Asetek. If it works well enough it will generate interest which will bring it to market. It would work for HTPC and small lan party type gamer boxes.

The thumb screws worked perfectly. It's hard to see them in the picture above though.

Last edited:
I see ibuypower is using a 92mm cooler in their new LAN Warrior II. Curious if it is the Asetek model mentioned here in this thread.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4248/ibuypower-lan-warrior-geforce-gtx-590-microatx/4

I've got that exact cooler myself, and even in the same case. (I've got contacts at both NZXT and iBUYPOWER.) From what I can see there is no branding anywhere. It may be the Asetek unit without the cover over the pump, but I'm not sure how to verify.

I've got that exact cooler myself, and even in the same case. (I've got contacts at both NZXT and iBUYPOWER.) From what I can see there is no branding anywhere. It may be the Asetek unit without the cover over the pump, but I'm not sure how to verify.

Man i really, really want that cooler. ugh.

Man i really, really want that cooler. ugh.

It's performance seems pretty decent for it's size. Although there is one thing that I'm not completely happy with. The pump has a slightly 'clicky' sound to it when running. It's barely perceptible, but it is there. It's not overly irritating, but does stand out as different compared to the sound of my case fans.

Sorry, had to put project on hold for a few months because of school and also had to figure out the best and most efficient install. I was going to have an aluminum bracket made to mount the single fan to the dual fans but I didn't want to pay the fab costs. I grabbed some duct tape and zip ties and experimented while pondering "what would McGyver do"? Oh, btw I have a 20c temp drop on both idle and full load and there is no noise at all. Here's a few pics...

goracer
[/URL][/IMG]
goracer
[/URL][/IMG]
goracer
[/URL][/IMG]
goracer
[/URL][/IMG]

Back