5870 1GB randomly goes to 99% GPU usage at desktop

hardly

Gawd
So basically I've been having issues where my 5870 will go up to 99% GPU usage and it is bogging my machine down. I will be playing guild wars, with v-sync on and only using about 15% GPU, I'll alt+tab out and come back and everything is slow to load and my GPU is at 99% usage. I close guild wars and restart and the same issue is there. Now it's doing it on my desktop as well. It is actually using the GPU because the temps are increasing and so is my fan speed.

Is my card faulty or is it a driver bug or something like that?

Edit- I'm using 11.2 drivers btw.

Same here.it started with cat 11.0 im now on cat 11.4 still the same. I have to reboot to fix it.

So basically I've been having issues where my 5870 will go up to 99% GPU usage and it is bogging my machine down. I will be playing guild wars, with v-sync on and only using about 15% GPU, I'll alt+tab out and come back and everything is slow to load and my GPU is at 99% usage. I close guild wars and restart and the same issue is there. Now it's doing it on my desktop as well. It is actually using the GPU because the temps are increasing and so is my fan speed.

Is my card faulty or is it a driver bug or something like that?

Edit- I'm using 11.2 drivers btw.

enable tripple buffering as well and have a go

Welcome to the world of AMD/ATI's excellent drivers. The drivers have been doing this intermittently at various updates. You never know what you're going to get when AMD puts up a new set of drivers.

Same problem here...i started another thread. Went back to 10.11 for now. I suspect it's the new Firefox 4......

Edit: Removed FF 4 completely, did some minor cleaning, and have not had the problem for a day now.......maybe solved?

Last edited:
Back