P8P67 Pro B3 - CPU Red LED

steveyg_uk

n00b
Just received my new motherboard - used to have the P8P67 but had it replaced and decided to upgrade to PRO B3.

Problem - Red CPU LED at boot. PC starts then turns off then starts again.

Symptons - All hard disks start up. All fans spin. NO video output.

Have checked CPU for any damage etc nothing all seems ok.

Completed CLR RTC procedure as well.

Please can you help.

Steve.

hold down the "mem-ok" button when powering on...should fix the problem

rats...ok, pull the cpu and check the pins, then reseat..

also, un plug everything except the video and keyboard (so u can see bios if u boot) just incase somothing is being a pain..

rats...ok, pull the cpu and check the pins, then reseat..

also, un plug everything except the video and keyboard (so u can see bios if u boot) just incase somothing is being a pain..

Everything unplugged however still red led.

Take out A1 or A2 stick of ram then try to boot. Sounds like that's what happened to my board pre recall. My boards ram slot had died.

Already tried that my friend. Even removed the board from the case and just ran power, cpu, and heatsink all to no avail.

dead cpu maybe? unusual, but possible..

other than that, sounds like a dead board.

you could try the CD bios recovery just for shits and giggles and see if that works since u saud your drives spin up....

cpu was working fine in p8p67 b2 so I doubt its dead.

I'm going to return the board and probably go to Gigabyte I think.

People, THINK.
If the board can't initialize a CPU, there's no way in hell it's going to be able to boot from a CD. Sigh it's amazing how brainless people can be these days....
Next thing you know, someone is going to suggest booting from a CD with no cpu inserted

....then again, they do have boards that can flash its BIOS while powered off, with the press of a button..(But that probably is fully selfcontained and doesn't require a CPU). M4E can do that. Still can't boot without being able to initialize a cpu, though.

RMA the board. Hopefully your downtime will be limited to minimum.

uh oh, someone didnt RTFM Falkentyne. lol

im kidding..

its called Crashfree Bios 3, and it allows you do flash a bios file from a USB drive or the CD that came with the board without booting the system.

i would give that a try OP, probobly wont fix anything, but worth a shot.

Last edited:
THis is corret. As the motherboard won't POST there is no BIOS to boot into. No post no video and so forth.

I'll RMA the board.

No I didn't.

Hows it work then? Do you have a link to it somewhere? Just can't see how it can work when the system doesn't POST.

also, if it doesnt appear to work, open then close the dvd drive and wait like 30 sec. wash rinse repeat.

uh oh, someone didnt RTFM Falkentyne. lol

im kidding..

its called Crashfree Bios 3, and it allows you do flash a bios file from a USB drive or the CD that came with the board without booting the system.

i would give that a try OP, probobly wont fix anything, but worth a shot.

The board still has to be able to POST partially. Getting the CPU string and the beep means the POST is mostly complete, and the i/o devices will be initialized.
If there's no CPU, then crashfree won't start, since there's no processor to do any calculations to initialize everything.

Remove the processor and see if crashfree3 will EVER start. It won't.

His problem is his board is dead, for whatever reason. It can't initialize the CPU. You can't activate ANY sort of recovery unless the CPU can be initialized.

i believe the crash free is actually based on the ami bootblock in bios which is not flashed during a normal flash.

im sure its dead, but it was worth a try,

Dumb question but someone should ask... you remembered to plug in the separate cpu power right? They're tucked away above the cpu along the top edge of the board.

~koog

I have my new Asus Deluxe coming, B3 from Newegg, Advanced replacement.

I'm seeing a lot of people having issues, with the board and the new 1305 bios. I think that's the revision.

I had hoped for smooth sailing and not all the unrest I am reading about. Hope it's just me and that I am reading into it too much.

My Asus Deluxe has been basically flaweless at 4.6Ghz. No crashes, nothing. Absolutely rock solid.

I actually have the exact same problem where it starts and shuts down and starts again and no video. I simply hold down the power button to force a shutoff, wait for 5 secs, then hit the power button again to restart and it works. I thinks it's a bios rev issue. Only happens when I shut down the pc, not when I reboot.

A bunch of us were trying to get CrashFree Bios 3 working after the 1305 bios bricking, and never made any progress. The only instructions I was able to find were those in the manual, which didn't do anything. There was also a video describing it on YouTube, but I haven't heard of anyone getting any useful information out of that.

I actually have the exact same problem where it starts and shuts down and starts again and no video. I simply hold down the power button to force a shutoff, wait for 5 secs, then hit the power button again to restart and it works. I thinks it's a bios rev issue. Only happens when I shut down the pc, not when I reboot.

I take it you don't have RED LED CPU light issue then?

I have the exact same problem as the OP. I called newegg and they are sending out another replacement. We will see if I have the same luck.

"Let the board be with you" :)

I going to ring my supplier and moan at them tomorrow, and get them to test the board BEFORE it comes to me.

Let me know how you get on fella please.

the CPU light came on for me too but only once - re seated the CPU and sink, connected ATX power and power on and it was there again and i was #$%@ ing ASUS just when I realised i forgot the 8 pin connector at top of board-connected that and it went away. :) Now having problems installing windows 7 :mad:

Btw if you are having problems with it booting up and shutting down make sure the LEDs for the case are connected right -red +, black _ve, green ground, hope that helps, even though the case instructions says polarity doesnt matter on the reset switch -it does matter on antec 300 case.

Just heard back about my returns of Asus P8P67-Pro and indeed its and I quote "TOAST". Full refund on its way - happy days.

Just received my new motherboard - used to have the P8P67 but had it replaced and decided to upgrade to PRO B3.

Problem - Red CPU LED at boot. PC starts then turns off then starts again.

Symptons - All hard disks start up. All fans spin. NO video output.

Have checked CPU for any damage etc nothing all seems ok.

Completed CLR RTC procedure as well.

Please can you help.

Steve.

I am in the exact same situation as you except i am using the deluxe b3. Anyone else find it mind boggling how asus can screw up twice felt like i just got spat in the face leaving my mind boggled. How did you contact asus through phone? Can you also tell me all the components of your pc if you don't mind?

Last edited:
let me tell you my issue. My first B3 replacement board just died after 2 weeks. I was sending an email and boom dead, just the standby led on the board. I did all the troubleshooting steps, even replaced the PWS. Now my new B3 replacement board only power-up with the red CPU led. Asus denies it is the board this time. I working with Intel and they had me swap the memory because they had issues with memory outside of the 1333/ 1.5v damaging the CPU. My memory is CORSAIR Vengeance 1600/1.5. Anyway the new memory did not boot my system. Now I am waiting on a RMA CPU from Intel. This sucks:mad:

it seems like so many people are having problems with there sb setups and from asus. i wish the best of luck to you all. lucky i skipped this upgrade

i just picked up my new ASUS P8P67 Pro B3 board from Microcenter and am having the same DAMN issue!

RED LIGHT! :mad:

I manage to get into the BIOS and it wont detect my boot HDD (although there is windows installed on it) I even plugged the HDD to another SATA port but it wont find the boot files.

The SATA ports were disabled in BIOS by default, so when i enabled them, saved BIOS the computer did not restart on its own and shut off.

After that I powered it back on but does not boot and shuts off!

Everything was working fine when i had my B2 board, all i did is get the B3 revision (everything else is the same)

WTF!?! :confused: anyone have an idea what could be the problem or what settings i have to fiddle in the BIO to make it work?

My setup is as follow:
Core i5 2500K
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz 1.5v
Asus P8P67Pro Rev B3

let me tell you my issue. My first B3 replacement board just died after 2 weeks. I was sending an email and boom dead, just the standby led on the board. I did all the troubleshooting steps, even replaced the PWS. Now my new B3 replacement board only power-up with the red CPU led. Asus denies it is the board this time. I working with Intel and they had me swap the memory because they had issues with memory outside of the 1333/ 1.5v damaging the CPU. My memory is CORSAIR Vengeance 1600/1.5. Anyway the new memory did not boot my system. Now I am waiting on a RMA CPU from Intel. This sucks:mad:

A new CPU fixed the boot issue.

I bought the 2500K and P8P67 Pro bundle deal from Microcenter a week ago. It was an awesome deal ......too good to pass up.... so I thought.

3 days later, just running 3Dmark vantage at 4.1Ghz with 1.19V, the computer shuts off unexpectedly in the middle of it. Pushing the power button did nothing. Pulling the cord from the outlet and then plugging it back in and pushing power, the fans twitched and the cpu led would blink once for a split second and then nothing. CLR RTC jumper, still nothing. Swapped PSU, nothing. Used only a single stick of ram and putting it in each slot to try and powerup and got nothing.

So I took the mobo back to Microcenter for replacement. Put the cpu in the replacement mobo and this time, the fans and everything would come on, but the cpu led is on solid red this time. Nothing on the display and it would go into an infinite boot up loop. CLR RTC and removing the battery did nothing. So that means the cpu was dead too. And another drive out to Microcenter.

Put the cpu into the mobo, first boot, success. Get into windows used it for 2 hrs, all running at stock settings. Stock turbo mode and no stress testing, just watching a movie. I turn it off to run out to do some errands. Come home and power it on. Within the first 10mins of using it, it shuts down unexpectedly again. Same symptoms as the first cpu and mobo. CLR RTC and remove battery with no success. So now my 3rd time back to Microcenter to replace the mobo and cpu.

Only this time I got the MSI GD65 instead. I was too pissed off to try another P8P67 Pro and without knowing what the cause of the failures were. I didn't even want to risk a possible 4th trip (40 mile drive each way). So far been running the GD65 for a few hours and have not had any issues (knock on wood).

I will do some stress testing tonight as well as trying to get up to 4.2Ghz and hopefully whatever the cause of the failures were was just because of poor Asus quality. I've had 2 previous systems running Asus mobos in the past 3 years and they have been solid and reliable. Asus was always my #1 go to choice. But now I'm going to have to rethink that for future purchases. Asus has been a very good company and I'd hate to see them start going downward.

geez, never seen anything like the rollout of these ASUS P67 mobo
one major prob after another - and all this with very experienced endusers.
I know they sell 100's of thousands of them, but still I dont remember anything like this
there just has to be quality control issues with the P67 boards and or with the B3 southbridge
for the first time, most of the problems are at Intel's door, judging by the posts on this forum.
Both the bios chip vendor and the zif socket were changed from B2 to B3, at least on mine anyway
The only thing I can think of is bending the socket pins during install - easily checked with one of those cheap big round 5X magnifiers in good light, perhaps the heatsink mounting too tight for mobo layers. Some reported the CPU socket clamping force was fierce, which shouldnt be, wasnt for me

FWIW, never had a bit of trouble with mine B2 or B3, except figuring out how to boot to my GPT 3TB Hitachi drives

I feel your pain, I know this type thing would really be a downer.

I bought the 2500K and P8P67 Pro bundle deal from Microcenter a week ago. It was an awesome deal ......too good to pass up.... so I thought.

3 days later, just running 3Dmark vantage at 4.1Ghz with 1.19V, the computer shuts off unexpectedly in the middle of it. Pushing the power button did nothing. Pulling the cord from the outlet and then plugging it back in and pushing power, the fans twitched and the cpu led would blink once for a split second and then nothing. CLR RTC jumper, still nothing. Swapped PSU, nothing. Used only a single stick of ram and putting it in each slot to try and powerup and got nothing.

So I took the mobo back to Microcenter for replacement. Put the cpu in the replacement mobo and this time, the fans and everything would come on, but the cpu led is on solid red this time. Nothing on the display and it would go into an infinite boot up loop. CLR RTC and removing the battery did nothing. So that means the cpu was dead too. And another drive out to Microcenter.

Put the cpu into the mobo, first boot, success. Get into windows used it for 2 hrs, all running at stock settings. Stock turbo mode and no stress testing, just watching a movie. I turn it off to run out to do some errands. Come home and power it on. Within the first 10mins of using it, it shuts down unexpectedly again. Same symptoms as the first cpu and mobo. CLR RTC and remove battery with no success. So now my 3rd time back to Microcenter to replace the mobo and cpu.

Only this time I got the MSI GD65 instead. I was too pissed off to try another P8P67 Pro and without knowing what the cause of the failures were. I didn't even want to risk a possible 4th trip (40 mile drive each way). So far been running the GD65 for a few hours and have not had any issues (knock on wood).

I will do some stress testing tonight as well as trying to get up to 4.2Ghz and hopefully whatever the cause of the failures were was just because of poor Asus quality. I've had 2 previous systems running Asus mobos in the past 3 years and they have been solid and reliable. Asus was always my #1 go to choice. But now I'm going to have to rethink that for future purchases. Asus has been a very good company and I'd hate to see them start going downward.

I and a friend both went through a shockingly similar situation in our recent sandy bridge builds, both from microcenter. Both picked up 2600k's with asus p67 boards. One glitched all over the place with the sata ports, having a 1/5 chance of booting into windows without hd related errors, and even when it did boot in, it wasn't smooth sailing. The other started for all of 10m, crashed out and then gave the 1/2 second twitch with fans and led on power up. Tried all the usual swapping around for troubleshooting (easier when you have two very similar setups sitting side by side), psu's, memory, slots, tried the cpu's in each motherboard to see if that made any difference, etc.

Ended up returning both motherboards thinking that was the issue, picked up gigabyte ud4's. Couldn't get EITHER to post now (when originally one setup posted but just gave sata errors) - one of the ud4 setups did the blink up on fans/lights for a split second, the other would just hang at the Gigabyte splash screen with no input.

Took these both back in, got the extremely skeptical looks from microcenter (granted, I'd be looking the same way at someone telling me this story on any other platform), and eventually had them come back and tell us that they had swapped the cpu's into multiple boards and both were toast, as we kind of had concluded at that point. Despite the 45m-1h drive each way to microcenter being such a hassle, they at least were good about changing everything out multiple times (and honoring the bundle deals).

Our best guess at what happened? - out of the original 2 cpu/mb bundles we bought, 1 board had defective sata ports (yes, they were B3), and the other had the special ability to fry cpu's like it was its job. Didn't think about it at the time when we were doing our first round of troubleshooting, but I don't believe that the cpu from the mb with simply sata problems ever booted again after testing it in the mb that hard crashed.

Ironically, b/c of all the swapping around that microcenter did along the way to deducing that the cpu's were in fact shot, I ended up back in an Asus pro board because I honestly prefer that board to the gigabyte board, earlier boards' defects not-withstanding. Maybe stupid with all the trouble the first round of asus boards caused us, but I'm treating this as an outlier in many many years of happy asus use, and am now running solid at 5ghz on this board.

In any case, I had to just throw this out there after hearing about your multiple 40m trips to micro center with multiple screwups on this platform.

Back