Vega's Quad-SLI 3GB GTX580 sub-zero liquid cooled build

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
This thread will be updated with build information, benchmarks, photos, and videos.

Goal: 60 FPS gaming on 3x 30" portrait displays in Surround with max in-game settings using a sub-zero liquid cooled system consisting of a 990x at 5.0+Ghz, Quad-SLI 3GB GTX580s at 1000+Mhz supported on a Gigabyte X58A-UD9 motherboard.

Screen setup:

SANY00043.jpg

Phase Change:

SANY0001-3.jpg

Some of the hardware:

SANY0001-5.jpg

Proposed water cooling block diagram (1 to 3 to 1 loops):

LiquidBlockDiagram.jpg

Can you guys see any issues with this loop setup?

For temperature monitoring and external emergency shutdown (hardware):

53095.jpg

I will have a total of eight temperature probes that are good down to -40 C. Temp probes for the following components: CPU, 4x GPU, NB, SB, Mosfets. Also purchased the ATX power interrupt splice and relay for emergency shutdown as OS software based shutdowns are unreliable at best.

Some more photos of temporary setup:

SANY0006-2.jpg

SANY0005-2.jpg

SANY0004-4.jpg

SANY0003-5.jpg

SANY0002-6.jpg

Temporary ghetto fan setup to keep these cards temperatures from meltdown:

SANY0006-3.jpg

Custom built evaporator liquid tank (under construction):

SANY0007-4.jpg

Evaporator will sit in tank in the stock window air conditioning unit at the front (bottom of picture):

SANY0008-2.jpg

This makes a tidy self contained unit that looks good and is easy to move around. In the winter I can leave the unit inside the house to cool the computer and at the same time heat the home air. This saves my HVAC system some work.

In the summer I put the unit in the window to dump all of the computers heat outside. It also dumps the noise outside too and once again has the benefit of taking stress off of my home HVAC system.

Using an Iwaki RD-30 24v DC pump with a variable voltage regulator. Tygon Norprene tubing of 5/8, 1/2, and 3/8 ID to help control coolant temperature loss and lower condensation temperature:

TT-Norprene-A60G.jpg

Coolant will start out as distilled water + watter wetter to lower water surface tension and provide corrosion inhibitor as there will be mixed metals involved (aluminum, copper, nickel). As temperatures decrease during testing, propylene glycol will be added to lower liquid freezing point. I know propylene glycol gets slushy at real cold temperatures and doesn't have the best thermal characteristics. I want to keep a non-fuming and pet friendly non-toxic system. No methanol, ethylene glycol etc.

I'd also like to keep away from those engineered fluids by 3M and Dow that cost $200 a gallon. ;) My setup will be 6-7 gallons so you could see that would be cost prohibitive! If anyone has any ideas on different coolant or about my setup design at all, I am all ears.

I also have to figure out a way to control the A/C unit thermistor sensor to properly cycle the compressor and much lower temperatures than it was designed for.

Build progress photos:

SANY0016.jpg

SANY0017.jpg

SANY0005-3.jpg

SANY0001-8.jpg

SANY0002-7.jpg

SANY0001-7.jpg

SANY0007-6.jpg

SANY0008-3.jpg

SANY0009-6.jpg

Last edited:
- Screenshots / Videos will be posted here -

DCS-A10C:

To view full size image click here (make sure to click on the image to make full size if opened in a new window): http://www.deviantart.com/download/198838926/dcs_a_10c_by_callsignvega-d3adt3i.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrF960wFaw4

Crysis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4L7lSrWPg

Crysis 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfK2moRRwo

Heaven 2.5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kln4Hzt-7pk

Con-formant Coating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLiiJ4k3nTA

Last edited:
Wow Vega you really don't mess around. Can't wait to see this when it's done. :)

BTW what other PSU are you gonna be using along with that High Current 1200?

BTW what other PSU are you gonna be using along with that High Current 1200?

I am thinking about just getting another HCP-1200 as I am most likely already taking it to the brink with low overclocks and I haven't added the pump and some other stuff yet. Plus that will split the load over two 20A breakers. My UPS already died when I ran my system on a benchmark. :D

I am thinking about just getting another HCP-1200 as I am most likely already taking it to the brink with low overclocks and I haven't added the pump and some other stuff yet. Plus that will split the load over two 20A breakers. My UPS already died when I ran my system on a benchmark. :D

Not a bad idea. You should definitely split the load to 2 circuits. This unit is gonna pull some serious juice. I may do a similar build when Socket 2011/Bulldozer and Kepler or Southern Islands come out. 4x VGA etc watercooled etc..

The phase change setup looks wicked in that picture :D WOW

The loop looks good to me. However I must stress that I never had a liquid cooled system myself. Maybe next time.The logic looks solid though.

Will be following this monster, I can not wait to see how 4 x 28nm will fare in this rig.

F*** me this build is insane. I hope there's going to be a heavily modified case to fit this mofo in.

That looks insane... In both good and bad ways. :p It also looks very very [H]ard! :D

i'm completly jealous... congrats man! I only wish i had the cash for something like that...
As soon as i finish college and im not broke something like this is in my to do list!

Keep us updated

Damn. It must be nice to have alot of disposable income. Color me jealous. It looks like its going to be an awesome setup, though.

I've always had a hard time with Vega when playing as Chun Li. :mad:

Ever play Blanka vs Vega? It's one hell of a match..

All I saw was 2 player flying around the whole time bumping to each other..
can't stop laughing...

The only thing I might suggest, is that you use a in/out pipe for each "part" not only will this look better but it will make management much easier.

Right now you have loop that go through multiple GPU;s and ram ect. You might, (I don't know), end up ADDING heat to some parts.

With valves, and a "manifold" you would be able to control flow to each part, independently (ram would get a slow feed, and the GPUS/CPUS would be full on open).

This is how a house is water supply is done, so that if you turn a tap on in one part of the house, while another part of the house is flushing the toilet, it will not effect the shower flow pressures.

Also, manifolds look really cool (make sure you oversize (alot) the manifold itself, and the pipe going in.

Below is a ugly one, there are very much nicer looking copper ones.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...=X&ei=L9BnTciUMJC4sQPZjuGmBA&ved=0CIwBEPUBMAw

Man. That's a ton of power right there. Can it play Crysis on max. LoL :D

It'll definitely play it, what the frame rate will be I'm not sure. On one 2560x1600 display at all very high and 8x MSAA on my pair of HD6970s I get a frame rate of about 30-40 in 'Contact', which I know to be less demanding than the rest of the game. Warhead runs about the same. Now he's obviously running three times the pixel count, but four GTX580s are going to be roughly 80-90% more powerful than two 6970s I would expect, given the nature of quad scaling, maybe a bit more, so I imagine the frame rate with it all maxed out is going to be in the 30s most of the time. Whether that's enough for Crysis is personal opinion.

It'll definitely play it, what the frame rate will be I'm not sure. On one 2560x1600 display at all very high and 8x MSAA on my pair of HD6970s I get a frame rate of about 30-40 in 'Contact', which I know to be less demanding than the rest of the game. Warhead runs about the same. Now he's obviously running three times the pixel count, but four GTX580s are going to be roughly 80-90% more powerful than two 6970s I would expect, given the nature of quad scaling, maybe a bit more, so I imagine the frame rate with it all maxed out is going to be in the 30s most of the time. Whether that's enough for Crysis is personal opinion.

Quad Scaling rarely does any better than Tri Scaling....

After 2GPU, the scaling considerably drop....for all kind of setups....

not so sure about in nV surround though...

You'd be surprised actually. Quad CF worked very well with my 4870X2s, I was pulling 230-240% scaling in a few titles. The agreed scaling for tri-CF is around 150% and 160% for tri-SLI from what I've seen. Therefore my estimation was based on 220-230% quad scaling for SLI. It could well be higher than that but sadly, it's not something you often see benchmarked :p

Can you guys see any issues with this loop setup?

More to come!

Well it depends on the the liquid flow rates, heat gradients and such, but 2 GTX 580 will be getting freshly cooled liquid, while other two GTX 580 in 2nd line will be getting warmed up liquid.

I would rather have all 4 on fresh liquid...if not possible maybe feed inners with fresh, and outer cards with warmed liquid.

It doesn't get much [H]arder than this!

Steve, if you're reading this is front page material. :D

The only thing I might suggest, is that you use a in/out pipe for each "part" not only will this look better but it will make management much easier.

Right now you have loop that go through multiple GPU;s and ram ect. You might, (I don't know), end up ADDING heat to some parts.

With valves, and a "manifold" you would be able to control flow to each part, independently (ram would get a slow feed, and the GPUS/CPUS would be full on open).

This is how a house is water supply is done, so that if you turn a tap on in one part of the house, while another part of the house is flushing the toilet, it will not effect the shower flow pressures.

Also, manifolds look really cool (make sure you oversize (alot) the manifold itself, and the pipe going in.

Below is a ugly one, there are very much nicer looking copper ones.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...=X&ei=L9BnTciUMJC4sQPZjuGmBA&ved=0CIwBEPUBMAw

I was also looking for such a manifold but I could not find anything. You know of such an item that has G1/4 connections? Right now I am going to be using two of these adapters:

ex-tub-623.jpg

At surround using these high resolutions, scaling is spectacular. Just to give you a preview, 2x overclocked 6970s in crossfire got 20 FPS in my Heaven 2.1 test at 5088x2560 w/ 2x AA. This setup at stock clocks got 40 FPS. Now a 2x 6970 setup is virtually 100% perfect scaling. I am once again 100% scaling over that.

Well it depends on the the liquid flow rates, heat gradients and such, but 2 GTX 580 will be getting freshly cooled liquid, while other two GTX 580 in 2nd line will be getting warmed up liquid.

I would rather have all 4 on fresh liquid...if not possible maybe feed inners with fresh, and outer cards with warmed liquid.

I will be using an Iwaki RD-30 with an adjustable voltage control which is a pretty serious pump. Most people run the 24v pump at 18v because its overkill. Flow rates should be around 5 gpm @ 10psi (overall). The liquid moves quick enough where it only rises a few degrees over each component. By the time the fluid passes the GPUs and into the NB/RAM blocks, it is still well below ambient temperature and not "hot'.

Uhmm also...in typical gaming scenario heat accumulated on 2xGTX 580 branch should exceed the heat in CPU branch, and yet CPU branch gets returned, while GPU branch continues to NB and RAM.

By the time the fluid passes the GPUs and into the NB/RAM blocks, it is still well below ambient temperature and not "hot"

OK but that fluid still has to carry 200W or so, in a space depending on the liquid rates. It will be warmer... may limit your OC.

Last edited:
Wow that is gonna be a nice setup. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Uhmm also...in typical gaming scenario heat accumulated on 2xGTX 580 branch should exceed the heat in CPU branch, and yet CPU branch gets returned, while GPU branch continues to NB and RAM.

That was anticipated. It is imperative that the CPU be as cold as possible as that is the item that will get the most benefit.

I think you guys may be over overzealous on how warm the 2x GPU loop coolant output will be. If sub-zero liquid coolant is going in, its still going to be pretty cool coolant coming out. There will not be such a massive heat transfer that will rise the coolant temperature dozens and dozens of degrees so quickly.

Just look at ambient water cooled setups. They don't get a massive rise in coolant temperatures and I'll be running coolant at least 25 deg C below theirs.

CPU part comment was more from of an economy point and what ideal loop should acomplish.

Ofc CPU needs as cold as possible. That's why it and 2x580 are in the 1st line.

EDIT: Well OK.. you could argue that CPU branch continuing into case could add to CPU temp.

Man. That's a ton of power right there. Can it play Crysis on max. LoL :D

I'd bet he will get to play at Highest in game settings possible along with 16x transparency SSAA and 16x HQ Aniostoropic filtering @ 4800x2560 Just jaw dropping performance. Should get 55-60 fps no problem and that's VERY playable in crysis. Shit I thought crysis felt playable at 35fps and that's with IQ sacrifices.

From what I've seen in surround you get near 80% from adding the 2nd GPU +50% from the 3rd card and another 25% from adding a 4th is assumed.

Now factor in that I've seen up to 3x scaling numbers and those were with the 1.5GB versions. I'd imagine the scaling would be even better with the 3gb versions as the vram will not run out and tank the fps and send the gpu's in a nose dive.

I think the scaling would be even better when large resolution multi screen application comes into place...going to compare notes once I receive all my gpu's as well

CPU part comment was more from of an economy point and what ideal loop should acomplish.

Ofc CPU needs as cold as possible. That's why it and 2x580 are in the 1st line.

EDIT: Well OK.. you could argue that CPU branch continuing into case could add to CPU temp.

Eh? CPU is in its own loop, not mixed with the 580s.

Original post updated.

At surround using these high resolutions, scaling is spectacular. Just to give you a preview, 2x overclocked 6970s in crossfire got 20 FPS in my Heaven 2.1 test at 5088x2560 w/ 2x AA. This setup at stock clocks got 40 FPS. Now a 2x 6970 setup is virtually 100% perfect scaling. I am once again 100% scaling over that.

I will be using an Iwaki RD-30 with an adjustable voltage control which is a pretty serious pump. Most people run the 24v pump at 18v because its overkill. Flow rates should be around 5 gpm @ 10psi (overall). The liquid moves quick enough where it only rises a few degrees over each component. By the time the fluid passes the GPUs and into the NB/RAM blocks, it is still well below ambient temperature and not "hot'.

That's pretty impressive. Not sure what the clocks were on the 6970s but at around 980-990mhz you should be seeing them equal to a stock 580.

Back