SOLVED 1305 brick downgraded to 1204 hotflash

gipsy

n00b
UPDATE

Even beeing able to to boot with downgraded bios it seems that part of bios is not updatet.
It is microcode now that is wrong and can not be flashed with afudos switches /e /me .
With 1204 I can not change multiplyer
With 1305 I can not change BCLK
If system crashes or freez I am stack on memory LED now.
So I will not advice anyone to downgrade with AFUDOS

Problem is defently in boot block.
I did get friends bios chip from P8P67 WS, and been able to boot to bios stright away.
Once in BIOS I did try all posible flashing program named
BUPDATER
EZ FLASH
AFUDOS
UNIFLASH
and was able to flash my demaged chip, by hotswaping it, to any BIOS version, but
after reboot problem stays the same.
After lot of googling, I found AFUDOS Engineering Version 2.29 but got same thing, or dos freez
With normal afudos if I use /pbnc I got bios protected and was not able to flash

And than, after houres of trying I got use to take chip from MBO running so fast with my fingers I can swap two chips in 10 sec.
Anyway, once I did visit AMI site and downloaded latest AMI flashing tool and use /pbnc boot block get eresed, bios eresed, new bios flashed and now I am finaly tipyng this from my P8P67 PRO up and running.
So, you guys who did orderd replacement chips from net should be able to restore your demaged chips and have it as spare once BIOS bricked again,
and you others unhapy with new bios, willing to take the risk of hot swaping should be able to downgrade

Last edited:
hello
I wanted to ask: what steps you followed? and the monitor is connected to the VGA or HDMI?
thanks!

hello
I wanted to ask: what steps you followed? and the monitor is connected to the VGA or HDMI?
thanks!
Firs to say there are many sites explaining hotflashing procedure and risks of demageing your MBO

DVI to DVI
I did put working chip(from WS Revolution) in my dead P8P67 PRO
Booted to bios with no problem
Booted to USB stick from BIOOS (boot menu)
swap BIOS chip(now my dead chip is in MBO)
flash with AMI software
done

Thats great news
I posted twice about hotflashing and also the link showing how to recover bootblock, but ignored. I was just about to offer $20 to people with a bad chip so I could experiment with it, and keep it for My spare. I know i could blindflash with just watching the USB light actions.

Once again - did you or did you not clear cmos after flash before boot to bios, or did you just flash and no cmos reset?

gypsy
Did you use AFUEFI?

WHAT exact AMI SOFTWARE?
4.xxx AFUDOS?

Last edited:
Thats great news
I posted twice about hotflashing and also the link showing how to recover bootblock, but ignored. I was just about to offer $20 to people with a bad chip so I could experiment with it, and keep it for My spare. I know i could blindflash with just watching the USB light actions.

Once again - did you or did you not clear cmos after flash before boot to bios, or did you just flash and no cmos reset?

gypsy
Did you use AFUEFI?

WHAT exact AMI SOFTWARE?
4.xxx AFUDOS?

Not shure after so much flashing, but I think it is irelevant..once U menage to erase boot block you are OK
I did use AMI latest oficial flash program from they web site caled AFUDOS v4.xx

Ok, now I did try and flash 1305, folowing exact procedure as per Gary.
Everything OK, bios flashed to 1305, but Iin AIsuite I have BCLK reading 4,2 insted of 100, and it is not reacting on any change I do trough Turbo V Evo, but actual value is 100 as per CPUID

sorry gipsy,i don't undestand:What steps do I follow? you used a pendrive? if so, what did you put in?

Ok, now I did try and flash 1305, folowing exact procedure as per Gary.
Everything OK, bios flashed to 1305, but Iin AIsuite I have BCLK reading 4,2 insted of 100, and it is not reacting on any change I do trough Turbo V Evo, but actual value is 100 as per CPUID

I had that problem. I just needed to update the .NET framework to 4.0, and that fixed it.

Its becoming apparent, clearing cmos immediately before allowing boot into bios first is a mistake as a general policy
I was also a bit surprised to see UEFI X86 and X64 flashers included in the AMI download
http://www.ami.com/support/downloadagreement.cfm?DLFile=support/downloads/amiflash.zip&InpDrvID=90

I guess thats what the ezflash uses, so using bupdater goes a different route which may help.

I am also wondering who the hell is doing these bios "updates".
To this very minute the latest on ASUS site is 1204
Are there some coding "cowboys" in action here in the U.S., when it should be done in Taiwan or wherever?

Last edited:
Nice work gipsy; it sounds like you probably spent an entire day doing this lol. Lucky you had a friend with a p8p67 board to play with. I also like how you seem to proceed to flash to 1305 again :)

Nice work gipsy; it sounds like you probably spent an entire day doing this lol. Lucky you had a friend with a p8p67 board to play with. I also like how you seem to proceed to flash to 1305 again :)

It was actualy 4 days..., first I did order new chip from England (it is on it's way), than I found other MBO with winbond chip, but it didn't work, and than friend of my friend borow the chip

Are there some coding "cowboys" in action here in the U.S., when it should be done in Taiwan or wherever?

Just because the HQ is in Taiwan does not mean that all work is performed there. It makes perfect sense to have a base of operations in Silicon Valley right near Intel and AMD.

Nice work, gipsy.

Not sure I want to spend money fixing something that shouldn't have broken in the first place, though.

Supported Operating System

* DOS environment (MS-DOS, FreeDOS, ...)

Getting Started:

Copy the AFUDOS.EXE executable file to any storage location accessible by the host system

and then run AFUDOS in command prompt.

Basic Usage:

AFUDOS ROMFILE.ROM /P /C

* Program main BIOS image, reset CMOS to defaults

AFUDOS ROMFILE.ROM /P /B /N /C

* Program main BIOS image & bootblock image
* Reset CMOS and NVRAM to defaults

Did some more testing...downgrade back to 1204
Downgrade to 1204 from 1305 works fine with switch from AMI
Problem when back to 1204 I cant get multiplier any more than 33, evan if I put everything manual in bios to 46, when system boot in windows doesn't go over 33
back to 1305 overclock works fine, bu I haveBCLK 4.2 and can not change trough AI suite..??
.NET framework 4 did not help

Did some more testing...downgrade back to 1204
Downgrade to 1204 from 1305 works fine with switch from AMI
Problem when back to 1204 I cant get multiplier any more than 33, evan if I put everything manual in bios to 46, when system boot in windows doesn't go over 33
back to 1305 overclock works fine, bu I haveBCLK 4.2 and can not change trough AI suite..??
.NET framework 4 did not help

>First thought:
Use CPUID 1.5.7.2 (latest)
148lonl.jpg

>Second thought
I think this may be about the "core firmware" G Key was talking about, and why you cant go back to 12XX from 13XX. You can only go back "partial", cant cross back to old core full code
You could try JUST redoing bootblock FIRST, clear cmos (/B /C /N), then 1204 (/P /C)
>Third thought
AI (artificial intelligence) suite is intimately connected to bios. You may have to uninstall COMPLETELY, including ALL registry entries, reboot, and install again.
>Fourth thought
Clearing CMOS undoes turbo pick on EZmode page - usually puts you in EPU mode. Make sure turbo mode on right is on (not NORMAL or POWERSAVE.
You could also try setting mullti in all cores at something like 42 on CPU page, then flipping TPU switch on mobo "up" (on) and reboot into Win 7 twice, then see what happens.

All this brought back memories and I dug up my old "universal" flasher - last updated in 2008 it appears. This thing would flash a bios to a plate of spaghetti. if you want to play with it you are on your own.
http://www.rom.by/book/Uniflash

Last edited:
>First thought:
Use CPUID 1.5.7.2 (latest)
>Second thought
I think this may be about the "core firmware" G Key was talking about, and why you cant go back to 12XX from 13XX. You can only go back "partial", cant cross back to old core full code
Yeah, may be microcode
You could try JUST redoing bootblock FIRST, clear cmos (/B /C /N), then 1204 (/P /C)
>Third thought
AI (artificial intelligence) suite is intimately connected to bios. You may have to uninstall COMPLETELY, including ALL registry entries, reboot, and install again.

did delate all ai suie registry entry and reinstall, but still the same, everything work fine apart of BCLK funny 4,2Mhz, but not for real

>Fourth thought
Clearing CMOS undoes turbo pick on EZmode page - usually puts you in EPU mode. Make sure turbo mode on right is on (not NORMAL or POWERSAVE.

Too late for this one, back to 1305

You could also try setting mullti in all cores at something like 42 on CPU page, then flipping TPU switch on mobo "up" (on) and reboot into Win 7 twice, then see what happens.

This sound interesting

All this brought back memories and I dug up my old "universal" flasher - last updated in 2008 it appears. This thing would flash a bios to a plate of spaghetti. if you want to play with it you are on your own.
http://www.rom.by/book/Uniflash

Did try uniflash this morning but can't recognize chipset

Thanks cisco

sorry gipsy,i don't undestand:What steps do I follow? you used a pendrive? if so, what did you put in?

bootable usb stick with
afudos from AMI
1305 bios from this forum renamed to 1305.ROM

just to let you know, whe I first pulled chip from it's socket I managed to badly band 2 legs and was lucky enough, to manage to strighten them without brakeing

There is nice chance to brake MBO and enything on it if some shortage ocures while system is running

you found the univ flasher - man you are as hard core as me - heh

DIP-PDIP Extractors are available, however I do not use them. From experience DIP-PDIP EEPROM can become quite tightly embedded in their sockets. In these instances one slip and the result is badly damaged pins which can sometimes be difficult to straighten. My prefered method of removal is with a small wedge or srewdriver inserted between the EEPROM base and the Socket top.

We do not sell the DIP-PDIP type extractors as we find them more trouble than they are worth in most cases.

In other words - on the ASUS you pry up the easy to get to side JUST enough to break it free, then gently move up the hard to access other side with a jewelers screwdriver etc. Like tightening the lugs on a wheel.

After some more testing situation with my board is very strange.
Now I have 1305, original BIOS chip, working fine apart:

If system freez or crash becouse of overclocking too high for given Vcore, BIOS gets corupted, and it hangs on mem LED or GPU LED. Clearing CMOS doesn't help, and new hotswaping is needed for recover.

Now this is diferent than initial problem, where CPU LED was only one liting.

So downgrading may be problematic due this issue.

Supported Operating System

* DOS environment (MS-DOS, FreeDOS, ...)

Getting Started:

Copy the AFUDOS.EXE executable file to any storage location accessible by the host system

and then run AFUDOS in command prompt.

Basic Usage:

AFUDOS ROMFILE.ROM /P /C

* Program main BIOS image, reset CMOS to defaults

AFUDOS ROMFILE.ROM /P /B /N /C

* Program main BIOS image & bootblock image
* Reset CMOS and NVRAM to defaults

nice reading here about bios
http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/how-computers-boot-up

I think what ASUS means is they will prohibit you from going back, not that you can not go back. There's been a method posted on XS to flash back since 1204 using bupdater. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265228&page=20

Thanks for the AFUxxx link, looks promising. Will have to have a play when time permits.

Last edited:
Last edited:
new bios chip, flashed with 1204, arrived today
everything works fine now, I've flashed it right away with 1305 without following Gary's instructions

Back