[H]ard|Forum  

Go Back   [H]ard|Forum > [H]ard|Ware > Mice and Keyboards

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
JR-Orion [H]Lite, 4.0 Years

Question Das Keyboard right for me? Blue or Brown switches?

The keyboards I've been using for the past decade and a half have just been the freebies that come with various PCs. I do have a Saitek Elcipse 1 at home, but outside of the glowing keys, I think it's just a normal rubber dome keyboard. It's OK, but it's old, the letters are starting to rub off, and I don't get much feedback from it ('tis rather mushy).

Did quite a bit of reading here, and would like to go mechanical. My initial thought was to go with Cherry Blues- figured I would like the click and the tactile "bump." That way you really know the switch has been depressed. I'm mainly a gamer, and say you want to quickly drink a health potion and then get back to attacking- the click n bump would really let me know that I hit the potion key.

But I also like to put on my headphones and get lost in really atmospheric games, like the jungles of Crysis and the ruins of Stalker. Maybe the clicking of the Blues might take me out of the gameworld?

Which led me to the Cherry Browns. They are more quiet, as there is no click, but you still get the tactile bump. But they are rather soft...

So here I sit looking at the Das Keyboard Model S Pro (Blue) and the Model S Pro Silent (Brown). Guess I could try a Blue first, and return it for a Brown if the clicking bothers me. I'm also open to other options around the same price.

I don't care that much about having a glowing keyboard. Budget is around $120 or so. Don't need macros. I would like to try PS2 with full n-key rollover. Audio or USB pass-through is a non-issue for me.

So A.) Thanks for all the info here, and B. ) Help
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM
redmasc Gawd, 9.6 Years

I purchased the Daskeyboard Silent model and its pretty quiet. I've had other clickity clack keyboards in the past and this one is the quietest of all the other ones I've dealt with and the small click is very satisifying while typing. For gaming, its pretty good. No complaints here. I also went online and had a custom cover made for it for $15 and it's the best $15 investment I've made for it. I want this keyboard to last a while since its pretty expensive and to help prevent the keys from wearing out. With the cover, the click is just about gone, it helps dampen the vibration from the switches. Overall, best keyboard I ever owned.
Swiftech H20-320 triple radiator WC
24GB Corsair Dominator memory
EVGA Titan GTX TRI-SLI
Intel X25 Gen 2 160GB x2 RAID0
2TB x4 Hitachi HDD's
Das Keyboard Silent, Cyborg R.A.T 7
Dell 3008WFP x 3 in portrait mode on an Ergo tech arm
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Skillzero [H]Lite, 4.5 Years

I had a friend buy DAS (after I nagged him to get a deck for months) and he ended up reselling it a week later... He said he generally liked it but absolutely hated the blues on it.

If you're primarily gaming at least get browns.. Blues just don't feel (or sound) right to me for gaming.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
redmasc Gawd, 9.6 Years

I got the silent version which has the browns on it. It's pretty quiet with minor click noises. Only thing I miss are my media keys. Primarily the volume control, but I have a program that can map hot keys.
Swiftech H20-320 triple radiator WC
24GB Corsair Dominator memory
EVGA Titan GTX TRI-SLI
Intel X25 Gen 2 160GB x2 RAID0
2TB x4 Hitachi HDD's
Das Keyboard Silent, Cyborg R.A.T 7
Dell 3008WFP x 3 in portrait mode on an Ergo tech arm
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
PynkFloydd Gawd, 6.8 Years

If you're interested in the cherry blue switches, why not try a Razer BlackWidow? It's a good deal cheaper than the Das and uses the same switches. The Das is about $130 and the BlackWidow is about $70.

Personally, I'd like to try the brown switches, but the blues feel really good. It does take some getting used to though...

I think it really comes down to personal preference. I don't think I could deal with the black switches at all. Blues are good for me, but some people hate them. Usually I type more than I game on a daily basis though (unfortunately).

I think the biggest transition for you will be not having to bottom out the key to get a response. There's no soft membrane underneath so you just bottom out with a plastic on plastic "thwack".

I'd tell you to possibly do a check online to see if a store by you carries the Razer keyboard (since it's fairly mainstream). That way you can at least get a feel for the blue switches.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Good idea. I hadn't even bothered to check local stores, figuring it was a lost cause, but Best Buy does carry Razer products. They have the Black Widow online only. The Lycossa is in store, but I think that one is rubber dome. Was worth a shot though.

Think I'm going to have to watch some online videos to make the call on Blue vs Brown. And yep, I'm mainly a gamer. I do zero work on my home PC, just games, forums, and minor photo stuff.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM

*returns from youtube*

Wow, I don't think I could handle the noise of the Blues. In Stalker I'm usually hugging the edge of a tree or building, slowly tapping "A" to slide out to the left, hoping to get my sights on some fool without exposing too much of myself... don't think I could deal with the CLICK CLICK CLICK while trying to be stealthy.

Think I could live with this, though-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEt3D...watch_response
Can any Brown owners chime in on the accuracy of the sound in that clip?

For Cherry MX Browns, looks like my options are Das Keyboard Silent and the new (?) Zowie Celeritas. Anything else I should look at? I'm in the US.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Namakan Gawd, 6.0 Years

I recently got the Das Keyboard with the blues and I love it. The clicking is not that bad if you ask me. I would almost call it a satisfying sound
Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
PynkFloydd Gawd, 6.8 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Orion View Post
Good idea. I hadn't even bothered to check local stores, figuring it was a lost cause, but Best Buy does carry Razer products. They have the Black Widow online only. The Lycossa is in store, but I think that one is rubber dome. Was worth a shot though.

Think I'm going to have to watch some online videos to make the call on Blue vs Brown. And yep, I'm mainly a gamer. I do zero work on my home PC, just games, forums, and minor photo stuff.
Not sure where you live, but you could check Fry's site and I know in the Chicago area we have Tiger Direct and Microcenter also.

The clicky-ness isn't thaaat bad and I think you get used to it over time. I've only had my keyboard a few days and I'm already getting used to it and it's "breaking in" a little too. Keep in mind that the "click" is only like a quarter of the way down in the key press. I'd say that the click alone on the blues is a bit quieter than the average "click" from a pen. The plus to the click is that you can hear/feel when you activate the key and you get used to stopping short (unlike membrane keys where you press until it stops).

The loudest sound you're going to hear from the blues and the browns is the "thwack" from bottoming the key out. There's no rubber membrane underneath so if you smack the key hard, it's loud. That's the biggest adjustment that I've been having to make coming from crappy keyboards.

Also, if you're just gaming...have you maybe thought about a tenkeyless or compact keyboard?

Some guy has been selling the Noppoo Choc Mini on eBay lately. They come in brown, blue and black switches. To me, that'd be the perfect board if I wasn't so used to using the number pad.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Cabbs Limp Gawd, 4.4 Years

I own a couple of Filco boards and I prefer Blues over Browns. It's not about the noise, but they do feel different.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Drexl Limp Gawd, 7.6 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
I own a couple of Filco boards and I prefer Blues over Browns. It's not about the noise, but they do feel different.
Didn't you just say you preferred Browns in the Mechanical Keyboard Guide thread?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Cabbs Limp Gawd, 4.4 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Didn't you just say you preferred Browns in the Mechanical Keyboard Guide thread?
I did, and completely forgot about it. At least it's relevant.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
RedTalon19 [H]ardness Supreme, 14.0 Years

I have a Deck Keyboard with cherry blacks and I don't really miss the tactile feel at all. Maybe once every few days I'll hit and key and have to double check to see if it registered, and it almost always does register.

The keyboard is quite loud though. Its not enough for me to hate it but if it were quieter... I certainly wouldn't mind.
AudioEngine A5+/S8 & Fostex TH-900 + HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp
Lian Li PC-9F + XFX XPS 850W BE (PSU)
Deck Legend Ice (KB) + Logitech G500
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
BassDX Limp Gawd, 4.1 Years

I have owned a Das Keyboard with cherry blues and I loved the switches. The tactile feel is simply amazing, and personally I enjoyed the noise. Not only is this because the audio queue it gives is helpful for a touch typist like myself, but it also gives you a huge sense of pride. I also used it for moderate gaming and I found the blue switches to be just fine. That being said, if immersion is of huge importance, then blue switches may not be the right choice. Even when wearing an HD202, which is a closed design, I can still hear myself typing, on high volumes at that, so in this regard the browns might be a better choice. The noise level of blues typically peak when you bottom out (which is often the case when gaming), so if you are going to bottom out most of the time (unless you actually enjoy the noise, like me), then just stick with brown switches.
i5 2500K | Asus P8P67 Pro | Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 2x4 GB | MSI GTX 660 Ti | Antec True Power New 650W | Samsung F4 2TB | Crucial M4 256 GB | Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance | HP Z27i + Dell U2711 | Logitech G9x | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Blue | Sennheiser HD555
Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Drexl Limp Gawd, 7.6 Years

I have a question about the DK. If you're not using the USB ports, do you need to plug in both USB connections, or is one sufficient for the keyboard?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 AM
rampantandroid [H]ard|Gawd, 8.5 Years

I bought one for work (started on the Brown) and HATED the brown. With a firey passion. Returned it (good return policy) and got a blue. LOVE it. But it's now at home, because my coworkers DID NOT love it.

I'm on the Logitech Iluminated KB at work and it's got good feedback....
Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 AM
pwrusr 2[H]4U, 5.4 Years

No IBM Model M recommendations?
I use a model M at work and so do a few of my co workers and boss
Fractal Define R4 | Corsair HX750 | i7 3820 | Asus Sabertooth x79 | coolermaster 212 evo | i7 3820 | evga gtx670 FTW | Dell 2407WFP-HC | samsung 8x4GB [32GB] | 256GB Samsung 830 | 3TB Seagate 7200RPM (storage)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM

Well, thanks for all the info. I'm leaning towards the Browns, and it sounds like Das has a good return policy if it comes to that. I don't have to make up my mind until next month though, as I've already spent my fun money for this month.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Ordered the Das Silent last night. Had to go with the green WASD and red ESC key kit, too

I'm looking forward to seeing how the browns work, and am really ready to ditch my mushy rubber dome keyboard.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Mr. Wolf Banned, 8.2 Years

I had a Das Blue and thought it was a great board, but the piano gloss finish was an irresistible fingerprint magnet. I sold it, got a Zowie Celeritas and loved the brown switches even more. I returned it when I found a Filco tenkeyless on Amazon. Awesome keyboard!! Sadly, the lettering began to fade on a couple of keys after just one week so back it went to Amazon, yesterday. Now, I'm using my ABS M1 while waiting on a Leopold tenkeyless with browns I pre-ordered last night. I hope its laser etched keys are better than those on my Filco.

Bottom line (for me, anyway): Brown switches are the best. I think you'll be very pleased with your new Das.