One of my SATA 3g ports has already died. Asus P8P67 Deluxe.

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
Just a heads up, after ~4TB of data transfer through one of my SATA ports I began experiencing ~30 second lag times accessing one of my data drives. This increased over the last week until it was ~5 minutes access time, and then no access (file managers and storage management). Files transferred to this drive started experiencing corruption.

Problem solved by swapping same cable and drive to a marvel port, haven't tried another 3g port. My other data drive remains on a 3g port, but has not been used for much data transfer.

Could be coincidental or unrelated to the Intel recall, but it has definitely happened.

edit: both data drives are 1.5TB HD154UI Samsung drives.

Looks like your one of the so called 5-15% Intel predicted to feel the pain.

Sorry :(

I am watching this closely as well. I have one drive on the 3gb/s ports and it has taken to simply disappearing in the midst of significant write activity.

Best regards,
-boggsie

I wonder what the RMA policy on this is, will they replace your board with one that is working now (but may fail again in the same way) or will they force you to wait until the good boards are available.

I say this ends up being a far greater failure rate than 5-15%. What have you been doing, transferring 4TB of shenanigans already, anyway?

NV/M but I haven't noticed anything while I was on 3 ports. I did switch to 6 however.

Looks like your one of the so called 5-15% Intel predicted to feel the pain.

Sorry :(
What the 5-15% thing meant is that 85-95% of users won't be transferring 6Tb over the ports in a series of intensive copies.

The percentages were based on usage profiling rather than covering every user.

As a heavy data user glad I got my data of those ports.

Out of interest what sort of data corruption?

What the 5-15% thing meant is that 85-95% of users won't be transferring 6Tb over the ports in a series of intensive copies.

The percentages were based on usage profiling rather than covering every user.

As a heavy data user glad I got my data of those ports.

Out of interest what sort of data corruption?

Data copied from source disk to destination drive became unreadable in some instances. Some existing data on the drive returned file corruption errors in windows. Existing data immediately became readable again after swapping ports, so I did not lose any of that.

*existing data is data which was transferred before failure occurred

So you can safely use the top 2 sata 6 ports, and the bottom 2 mavrel ports? Basically avoiding the middle 4? I have 6 hdd's right now, and will only transfer data to the ones that are not in the intel ports right now. As long as I can use the ports to read files, I won't write to the intel sata 3 ports.

:knock on wood:

I transfered 1.3TB of Data(steam games) from my Samsung F4 to my shiny new Hitatchi drive (much faster) over those ports and have been fine. I feel for you.

I think it depends on how high you put in voltages manually during overclocking in PLL and PCH
>anything in pink or red, possibly even yellow
When I first got the board I was going a bit high, not knowing anything about the flaw
I think they mean 5-15% for average user (noob)
After I heard about the defect I immediately started testing my drives
For example my WDC Black 1TB FEAX on Intel SATA 3 was 141 burst in HDTune 4.6 - a bit low indeed
The reads were about normal, but I immediately changed drives to SATA 6 and retested, then retested again with latest MEI driver
All benches Intel RST 10.1.1008
HDTune 4.60 is a bit of a flakey app - they need a new vers more up to date

2coj0ya.jpg

1pytyw.jpg

64l846.jpg

Anyways I'm moving over to ASRock extreme 6 after RMA

So which ports are safe to use? Is it safe to just watch movies off the bad ports and not write data?

One good thing about the Deluxe board, you have 4 SATA 3 (6.0Gbps) ports.
So you have some options on how to configure your drives.

I have my Raid 1 data backups on 3G ports. I have no choice but to pray they don't die on me.

I have my Raid 1 data backups on 3G ports. I have no choice but to pray they don't die on me.

Same. I could copy the data off and rebuild the raid on the 6gb ports but the problem is I don't have enough space to store it temporarly.

I'd need to spread it across a netbook, my work laptop, a usb drive, and a spare sata drive and piece back together later.

Huge hassle. I'm taking my chances for a few more weeks.

I wonder what the RMA policy on this is, will they replace your board with one that is working now (but may fail again in the same way) or will they force you to wait until the good boards are available.

Unless you need to use all 8 SATA ports, we would prefer you to wait for a replacement board with the revised chipset stepping. However, if it's necessary that you be able to use all of your SATA 2 ports (can't promise that the Intel SATA 2 ports won't degrade again if we do ship you an affected model replacement), then you can contact our RMA dept. to see about getting a same model replacement before we have boards with the revised chipset.

You can find details regarding our Intel 6-Series replacement program on our support site.
http://service.asus.com/notice/FAQ.aspx

@OC_Seer

hey, since you are here, maybe you can answer 2 quick questions for me about the deluxe P67. Gary and JJ never answer.

1.) What is the purpose of the bootmanager option in boot tab boot order devices? I have 2 GPT drives with O/S Win X64 - cant seem to boot em unless I pick that option

2.) What is that launch EFI shell option in boot exit options supposed to do?
It has never found anything for me even tho I have 2 EFI partitioned and running Win7 X64 drives? Why would I want to get in the shell?? What purpose does it fill?

I paid ASUS $236 of my hard earned money for their product and i think I'm entitled to just a tiny bit of assistance here.

Back