AMD 890FX chipset drivers???

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Why cant I find chipset drivers for my 890FX on AMD's website to download? Im formating soon, and all the newest drivers I can find. The AMD drivers on MSI's website for my 890FXAGD65 board are dated 4/2/10:rolleyes: Does anyone know if there is in fact a "NEW" driver out somewhere in internet land?? Thanks

seriously?? I remember on my intel setups that as soon as your back into a windows enviroment from a fresh install of windows, you should install the .inf package of drivers from intels website (Chipset drivers) AMD is not this way?

ive never installed a chipset driver on any PC i have.....windows has always found whatever was needed (a nf4 for AMD, 2 790FX's for AMD, and an x38 for Intel), not sure what your refering to i'm mainly an AMD guy so i dont know much of how intel does it, just that i've never needed chipset drivers for windows.....

Newp, just the ones on the CD that came with your board. Windows update does update them from time to time.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated_win7-64.aspx#3

Check this site out. I found southbridge drivers and much more. Let me know how that works for you. I hope you get that new MSI board in shape.

This MSI board is freaking AWESOME.. I have pretty much worked around what bugs there are in BIOS, and once my new cooler gets here (tuesday) I should be able to easily have this 1055 @ 4.0+GHz I even managed to have my ram @ nearly 1600DDR speeds with 7-7-7-24 1t timings... My prior gigabyte board COULDNT do that:eek:

Good to hear. I have been following your post over at XS about your new board. I am trying to decide if I should pick one up. Does it support IOMMU? That is the only major thing I am looking for that my current board doesn't have.:( Did you get updated chipset drivers installed?

Good to hear. I have been following your post over at XS about your new board. I am trying to decide if I should pick one up. Does it support IOMMU? That is the only major thing I am looking for that my current board doesn't have.:( Did you get updated chipset drivers installed?

I dont think I know what "IOMMU" stands for??? I have not yet looked for the chipset drivers as of yet... My new C300 SSD wont be here till tuesday, that will offically be "FORMAT" day :D cant wait to see how WIN7 64 feels like on a FAST SSD!!!

If you go to game.amd.com and go to downloads the download for the motherboard and the video cards are the same now. So if you have an AMD board and AMD video card it's a win win and cuts a step on your windows rebuild time!

You only need to worry about the IOMMU for heavy duty virtualization (read: server) stuff. For gaming/crunching it doesn't do a thing.

And yes having the mobo drivers integrated with the graphics drivers is really nice if you have all AMD system.

One thing about IOMMU is that most boards do not have the option in their bios, and it is for virtualizing hardware, like video cards, disk controllers, and NICs, so that the Guest VMs can directly control the hardware. (Think games and CAD software being hardware-accelerated in a VM)

If you go to game.amd.com and go to downloads the download for the motherboard and the video cards are the same now. So if you have an AMD board and AMD video card it's a win win and cuts a step on your windows rebuild time!

Why isn't the 11.1 hotfix driver on their site???

One thing about IOMMU is that most boards do not have the option in their bios, and it is for virtualizing hardware, like video cards, disk controllers, and NICs, so that the Guest VMs can directly control the hardware. (Think games and CAD software being hardware-accelerated in a VM)

Negative Sir. IOMMU is about better access to memory/memory managment for VMs. Nothing to do with hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU

Shouldn't all 890FX boards have IOMMU?

Negative Sir. IOMMU is about better access to memory/memory managment for VMs. Nothing to do with hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU

"With virtualization, guest operating systems can use hardware that is not specifically made for virtualization. Higher performance hardware such as graphics cards use DMA to access memory directly; in a virtual environment all the memory addresses are remapped by the virtual machine software, which causes DMA devices to fail. The IOMMU handles this remapping, allowing for the native device drivers to be used in a guest operating system."

Shouldn't all 890FX boards have IOMMU?

The 890FX (and I think the 890GX/870 also) supports IOMMU, but, oddly enough, it has to be enabled in the bios, just like AMD-V, but few, if any, board mfg's have it in their bios'. (That is, if what I read from AnandTech on the 8-series launch is correct)

The IOMMU can cost you a lil' bit of performance. If you aren't making use of it that is a pointless waste, so most consumer mobo's ship with it off AFAIK.

The IOMMU can cost you a lil' bit of performance. If you aren't making use of it that is a pointless waste, so most consumer mobo's ship with it off AFAIK.
Did you mean it hurts performance 24/7 just being enabled or do you mean with a VM that doesn't take advantage?
The 890FX (and I think the 890GX/870 also) supports IOMMU, but, oddly enough, it has to be enabled in the bios, just like AMD-V, but few, if any, board mfg's have it in their bios'. (That is, if what I read from AnandTech on the 8-series launch is correct)
I don't recall the option being in the BIOS for my motherboard with the launch BIOS but it is definitely in there now with the latest version (Oct 11th), default at Disabled.

Just a word of warning I updated to the 11.1 Catalyst AHCI package (ahcix64s.sys 3.2.1540.92 Sept. 23th 2010) and it gave me a bluescreen on reboot and in Safe Mode as well. I had to manually copy over an older ahcix64s.sys to get back up and running. 3.2.1540.24 worked for me.

I believe only the 890FX has support for IOMMU and it's up to MB maker to properly support it in BIOS or not. I wish the 890GX had it because I don't need more than IGP for my VMs. And you will increase performance in VM using IOMMU.

@DedEmbryonicCe11- Which package has 3.2.1540.24?

I mu8st be freaking lost! Where are the 11.1 drivers with ahci drivers included at on AMD's site... I hate AMD's site, SO UN-ORGANIZED!!

"With virtualization, guest operating systems can use hardware that is not specifically made for virtualization. Higher performance hardware such as graphics cards use DMA to access memory directly; in a virtual environment all the memory addresses are remapped by the virtual machine software, which causes DMA devices to fail. The IOMMU handles this remapping, allowing for the native device drivers to be used in a guest operating system."

Yes the virtualization software can use hardware in the same way it can use the virtualization features of the processor. But the VM cannot directly use the processor, video card or anything else. It all filters through the VM host software first. This is still about accessing memory directly. That's what DMA was about 15 years ago as well. Direct Memory Access. Not direct access to GPU, NIC, etc.

Did you mean it hurts performance 24/7 just being enabled or do you mean with a VM that doesn't take advantage?
24/7 We're talking like less than 5% tops though. Again you only need it for heavy virtualization. Light duty virtualization workloads will run just fine without it, but if you're running a whole bunch of VM's or just a few but with very high performance demands than having a IOMMU can be a big deal. IOW it only matters really for servers, JM is misreading the article.

The chipset drivers have been included in the Catalyst Driver package for some time now...probably since 2006 with the ATI 580 chipset. I know this because I remember that's what I had to do with the Abit AT8-32X motherboard I bought back then and still use (see signature). The complete driver package will only install the drivers for whatever product you have, be it chipset, graphics, RAID, or all of them.

@DedEmbryonicCe11- Which package has 3.2.1540.24?
No idea which Catalyst # it coincides with. It was the stand alone RAID drivers supplied by the MB for use when installing the OS.

The chipset drivers have been included in the Catalyst Driver package for some time now...probably since 2006 with the ATI 580 chipset. I know this because I remember that's what I had to do with the Abit AT8-32X motherboard I bought back then and still use (see signature). The complete driver package will only install the drivers for whatever product you have, be it chipset, graphics, RAID, or all of them.
The standard package does not contain RaidXpert and it obviously didn't update my RAID/AHCI driver.

So it looks like I would have to update with Catalyst 11.1 driver package, update AHCI driver and then all other components separately from manufacturers site? What is the best way to update all components for the rig in my sig? Windows is sluggish due to high DPC/ISR, mainly ISR though. It seems most are from sata and usb. booooo !!! What the best way?

Back