Steam Beta client update : Universal in-game screenshots, Better voice quality.

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select Beta Update, and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

1/31/2011

- Changed microphone voice input from 11khz to 16 khz
- Changed voice output from 8khz to 16khz
- Moved game invites from friends outside of the chat stream, into their own panel in the chat dialog
- [Mac OSX] Fixed a problem where attempting to resume a paused/interrupted download could always report ‘server unavailable’
- Fixed games not launching automatically after resolving a cloud conflict
- Fixed download rate sometimes erroneously reporting very high speeds
- Added password strength meter when you change your password
- Added UI prompting you to choose a new password if you've had support change your password
- Added Steam screenshots feature. Press F12 in any game to take a screenshot. Screenshots are automatically uploaded to the steam cloud after exiting the game, or can be manually uploaded while in-game through the in-game overlay. Screenshots can be managed through the community site and can be published to your Steam Community Profile to share with your friends. Games that use DirectX 8 and earlier are not yet supported.

You can see how it looks on profiles, here is mine. http://steamcommunity.com/id/supernoid

On the right you can click on screenshots (keep in mind these are ones I chose to publish). Once after selecting a screenshot there is an option on the right to View Full Size ;) Also, the universal key is F12, and I tested this in NON Steam games as well, and it worked!

(you can also link directly to them, ex: )
A29188E9DF881C40CB8463F6470A2541483E5B22

(excuse the lack of AA, something isn't working correctly yet)

Screenshots are auto uploaded to your Steam cloud profile after exiting the game, there you can publish, add comments and directly share out to social networks like Facebook and Twitter.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thats a pretty cool feature. Makes it a whole lot easier to share screenshots

I like the new features but after the last steam client beta went all retarded on me I'm not gonna opt in.

I like the new features but after the last steam client beta went all retarded on me I'm not gonna opt in.

Its a toggle, you can switch back at any time. So far everything is working as it 'should'.

What format are the screen shots in? Hopefully a loss less option along with jpeg.

They just need a fps counter, benchmarking and video recording. That would pretty much make it complete.

Does uploading to facebook even work? Cause it's not for me. Not that important, I just wanted to try it out and see how it works.

Does uploading to facebook even work? Cause it's not for me. Not that important, I just wanted to try it out and see how it works.

I'm not sure it 'uploads' to FB as much as it 'shares' it. Meaning its a link to the hosted image on Steam cloud.

What format are the screen shots in? Hopefully a loss less option along with jpeg.

They just need a fps counter, benchmarking and video recording. That would pretty much make it complete.

JPG, not sure on loss less quality or not. I agree, FPS counter and video recording would make Steam untouchable.

This is awesome! I've been using dropbox to hold my screenshots, but this is much more streamlined. I can't wait to see how it handles some 6048x1080 pr0n.

Excellent. I was wondering how long it would take them to start to adopt the gadgets XFire implemented so long ago.

Now they need:

Ability to change install path for Steamapps folder (install Steam on SSD with OS, install games on platter... on reinstall, game files don't get wiped out) I currently have a junction link setup to do this, but it should be a normal function of Steam.

Toggle to disable Win7 taskbar features in desired (the taskbar thingy having a moving green or yellow bar on in when downloading or updating something)

the screenshot feature is a neat addition. thanks for the heads-up theNoid.

I would love to be able to upload my own banner art for NON Steam games :D Probably won't happen as thats just reason to drive the OCD crowd to just buy through Steam lol.

Are screenshots stored locally as well? If so, any idea where?

edit: They are in Steam\userdata\random#\random#\remote\random#

would be nice if we could change that... I have a few that won't work on the web interface (maybe an eyefinity issue?)

Can you upload screenshots from your computer to share or does it have to be taken using the steam screenshot method? Just wondering since I've been using FRAPs to store screenshots ... for ages... and I'd like to have local copies of screenshots since steam isn't the only place I'd like to use them in...

^
The only thumbnail I see is for JC2, which is also the only one that goes fullscreen.

Last time I tried a Steam beta is screwed up all the games and I had to redownload them. Scared to try this one out.

Excellent. I was wondering how long it would take them to start to adopt the gadgets XFire implemented so long ago.

This.

But I think i'll still stick with XFire for my screenshots, fps, video recording and uploading to their site and the video streaming all add up to one awesome application :).

brilliant way to make a new wallpaper

edit: I cant seem to make my screenshots public though, the manage function must be borked

Back