Asus P8P67 Pro - VGA Light + No post or boot

Bordak

Weaksauce
Hello,

I just put together my 2500K + P8P67 build.

Upon powereing on, it hangs with the VGA light on. Video card is a ATI 6870. This board has never made it to a POST screen, bios, etc. Just blank black screens and the VGA led.

It has never displayed anything on my moniters, just powers on, hangs before even my KB gets power, and the VGA is lit red.

Changed the PCIE slot, same result. Removed both sticks of ram, tried each one in a different slot by themselves, same results. Pulled CMOS battery for 10 mins, same. CLRTC, no change.

Put both my power supply (600w OCZ) and video card back into my other system (Q6600), and they worked perfectly as they had for months.

Ram is Mushkin Enhanced 2 X 4 GB 10666 1.5v. Ram light has never come on, have tried the MemOK button regardless, no change.

What could be causing this? Do I have a dead board?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Same problem here with an HD5770 - I've tried all the BIOS versions, same result, maybe even slightly worse with the latest one. If I press the reset button once the VGA light is on, then it generally goes through startup and boots, although it's a bit random with the latest BIOS. I'm fed up with the P8P67 Pro, worst build I've ever had - hoping to return it.

Same problem here with an HD5770 - I've tried all the BIOS versions, same result, maybe even slightly worse with the latest one. If I press the reset button once the VGA light is on, then it generally goes through startup and boots, although it's a bit random with the latest BIOS. I'm fed up with the P8P67 Pro, worst build I've ever had - hoping to return it.

John,

I can't even get mine to post, let alone get to the bios :(

Do you have another PCI-E videocard to try?

I have a P8P67 Pro with a GTX 275 with no issues Only issue I had was i didn't install my ram correctly and had the DRAM Led. Removed the ram reseated it and then it posted fine.

Did you wait long enough? Even up to a minute? I think I'm the only person that actually wait it out and the board would POST in 55 seconds. Worth a try on yours, too.

Did you wait long enough? Even up to a minute? I think I'm the only person that actually wait it out and the board would POST in 55 seconds. Worth a try on yours, too.

I have waited upwards of 10 minutes about a dozen times now, with the ram in a single slot alone, in various slots, etc. The VGA light is on in all situations.

Hmmm...I have read a few posts from users with similar problem based on ATI video on these P67 boards. Not sure if it's the same problem or not...worth a try of a different video card.

I had similar problems with mine. Moved the video card to the second x16 slot and it is working now (although at x8). I think my board is defective though, because when it worked in the first slot (occasionally) it would report running at x1.

Tossed an old Nvidia GTS250 in, Boots into windows, but every 15 mins or so the computer just reboots itself. Works in both PCIE slots. Uses only one 6 pin power connection, vs my 5870 which uses 2. Put my 6850 back in, still no go in either slot.

Going to try replacing the power supply, if that does not work, it's going back for a replacement.

For what it's worth, I tried all the combinations of RAM/Slot and also the ATI HD5770 in the Pcie-2 slot at *8 - all with no change at all, always hanging at the VGA LED at boot, but works second time around after a reset.

Replaced power supply with a 600w Thermaltake, no change.

Replace video card with the old PCIE 250, it gets into windows, but crashes every so often and says it prevented a surge.

Moved ATI 5870 back into old computer, working fine.

F this Asus P8P67 Pro, I feel like throwing it in the trash.

Update, even with the replaced video card, it will no longer boot.

Opened an RMA for this motherboard.

my board would not pass red led (vga) even with new bios untill i moved my front panel usb header from usb1314 to usb910, go figure. installing windows now, wish me luck.

well i take that back, windows did its reboot during install and guess what, @$@% vga led . guess ill have to exchange it for a ud3p or GD55 :(

got it to work by swapping el cheapo ati x1050 card for a 8600gt , (dont have my 9600 here).
now lets see if anything else pops up..

i had the same problem switched from 4650 ati to a nvidia 460 gtx since I needed a new card anyways and poof! its gone. Happy camper now. Make sure your 8 pin connector is connected at top of the board.

Just did the new build Asus P8P67 pro Revision B3 . From the start it took forever for windows to install or even open a window to now no boot up screen. I too have the red light warning saying there is something wrong with the graphics card. I tried placing it in the other slots and also tried my old 7900GS with no luck. Will post back if i find the answer or if anyone knows a trick let me know.

palms

Last edited:
Update.
Found that on page 2-16 for the Asus P8P67 Pro hand book it says push the Mem ok switch so it flashes. During the flashing the board runs some tests to get the ram stable. In my case i failed to get a boot screen. I am using non QVL memory so i think iwill take it back.

palms

Just got back from the PC shop to see if another brand of memeory would make it boot. Nothing worked. even tried their video card. The PC guy said it could be the motherboard and with so many people out their with the same issue there could be a bug or part failure in the board. Going to take out the MB out for a Bench test to eliminate everything before returning the MB.

Palms

Have taken out board for bench test and failed. This MB is going back tomorrow. Will post if new MB works.

palms

Still having issues. I wonder if it's the CPU causing issues.
So far i have changed MB now using a P8P67 deluxe from a pro MB, Corsair Memeory from Geil Memory , tried different VGA cards, 285GTX to 7900GS, tried another power supply that was only a true power 450 but i think that should be enough to power it up. When i do get it up and running i runs fine but upon boot is when all my issues come back. LED VGA error 94 which points to Memeory. I select the timings in the Bios, save, reboot and get the same 94 error. Damn i have building Sysytems for years and this has got me stumped.

dont change timings in bios-when you have the option of mem ok! switch-that selects the most optimum settings-once you are up and running then you can tweak to your heart's content.

Have you tried building the new board outside the box with just bare minimum connections ?

Also are you using the Q connector for your mobo connections to yr case?

Back