Here's one for you: Domain shares and WD TV Live

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I have recently retired my WHS box and moved to a new server. When I moved to the new server, some of the software I am playing with, requires that I am a member of a domain. Because I was having issues with a virtual DC and the host seeing each other, I made the physical server the DC.

In doing so, it seems you must be a member of the domain to use the shares.

Obviously, I don't want to join everything to the domain. To overcome this on the machines, I added the local account with the same PW to the domain.

The problem I am having now is that I cannot get my WD TV boxes to see my DC, let alone my file shares.

So I ask the wealth that at times can be all that is holy, what should I try next? I'd like to have anonymous access to the shares, read only of course! And, the box needs to be discoverable.

I have:
Added exceptions to the firewall
Turned on netbios
Turned on the UPNP service
Turned on 3 other services per a guide

share the files
add at least Read-Only perms to "Everyone" in NTFS perms
add at least "Read" perms to "Everyone" in Share perms.

it's possible you may need to replace "Everyone" with "Guest"

I can't even see the server from the wd tv live box, it has nothing to do with the shares, yet.

It lists all my other machines, but not the server. I gave the server a static IP.

I can also see it from all of my windows machines.

I have had this issue with my WD TV Live and I've about given up.

First thing you have to do is enable network discovery on your server

For server 2008+

Network and sharing center-----> advanced sharing settings -----> turn on everything

HOWEVER!

Even after doing this the server now becomes visible to the WDTV Live, but it cannot access the share. I can access the share just find from any other machine on my network, but not from th WDTV. I really thing this is a limitation of the WDTV, which sucks.

Last edited:
And for shits and giggle i just went over it again. I have the movie folder's share and NTFS permissions set to full control on everyone just for ease of testing and I get the same "no media in current folder" error from the WDTV Live every time.

I've been looking into media servers which the WDTV Live can connect to, and PlayOn looks the best on paper but EVERYTHING stutters for me. It cant possibly be the server as its an I7, it cant be the network as its wireless N, so it has to be the WDTV Live. It really is an investment I wish i hadn't made.

I have had this issue with my WD TV Live and I've about given up.

First thing you have to do is enable network discovery on your server

For server 2008+

Network and sharing center-----> advanced sharing settings -----> turn on everything

HOWEVER!

Even after doing this the server now becomes visible to the WDTV Live, but it cannot access the share. I can access the share just find from any other machine on my network, but not from th WDTV. I really thing this is a limitation of the WDTV, which sucks.

This is all on. Still not viewable on the wd tv live. I even change the one in the bedroom from the default workgroup to wallhacker, my internal domain. I'll try wallhacker.com later and see if that works.

I'm kinda bumed, from any of the pc's I can find it, and play the movies. If it prompts for a un/pw, I put in everyone and it works.

The thing that sucks, with the XBMC for the classic xbox, you could write the ini file to tell it the name/ip and the credentials/shares/etc and it just worked.

I wonder if there is a custom firmware for these that allow the same.

In a non-domain environment it works great. I've had them both since they came out. One is the WD TV live and the other is the WD TV Live plus. The plus adds the ability to stream netflix as well as other types of internet media.

What would be neat is if you could share network drives, then I'd just toss out a dummy virtual machine and share the network drives.

I can't really break the domain then my backup plan and scvmm will get pissed.

Fixed.

Here's the dealio:
When you add the role of hyper-v, it sets up that virtual network card and does not allow netbios over tcp/ip regardless of any settings you would used.
netbios.PNG

On the rights the network connection created for hyper-v. On the left is a second nic.

So what I did:
- Enable 'Netbios over TCP/IP'
- Enable service 'Computer Browser'
- Enable service 'SSDP Discovery'
- Both nics have static IP, 1 has gateway(hyper-v nic) and the other does not.
- On the NTFS folder, enable the group of "everyone" to read the contents of the folder
- On the network share, enable the group of "everyone" to read the share.

Pow, right in the kisser.

Cool. It should work. I have both a wd tv and a wd tv live and I tested on both, and booted both and tried again.

Many of the tutorials say to set the shares and ntfs permissions so everyone can modify the files or to disable the firewall. Both of these are strongly against my best practices of common sense.

Yeah, I want to put 20tb on a network so everyone can make changes :rolleyes:

Thanks sc0tty8, that worked great.

Got a Win2008R2 as a domain controller and set up some shares for the WDTV Live.
Those worked perfectly for months, until after not using the WDTV for 3 weeks, I discovered it did not find the server anymore. Desktops-shares were fine, server was just gone...
I know I applied some patches in those 3 weeks, but did nothing with the roles. I also know the Computer Browser + SSDP Discovery were ENABLED, so I did not think that would be it. Found this article and thought i'de check anyway. Both were disabled. Pfffff.
Side note, I don't do anything with Hyper-v. This must have come from a patch for one of the other roles (AD, DNS, FileServices, RDS and IIS).

Anyways, thanks for the info!

I've ran into needing Computer Browser enabled for pretty much any server to share with the WDTV. With my live and the new firmware, they seem to play nicer with each other.

Not really on topic...

I recently updated my WD boxes to the B-rad firmware, the only reason was I keep losing the WD remotes and since I have direcTV...I wanted the directv remote to work with it.

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4513

If you do this, use the code in the forum link, not the wiki. This was cake. There is also a web control interface as well to run the box and other media services, although I have not played with this.

At the very least, a noob posted his first post on his first day to a thread with some answers that he prob found via google:)

FYI...

I did the brad update and no longer have a domain setup here. I am not able to access the new server via the smb browser on the custom firmware. If you have a thumb drive, you can tell it to mount the share; the thumb drive is used to save the config. Doing this, it works. This also helps on playback issues as it uses cifs iirc instead of smb.

Also another guide that can be helpful: http://www.webbosworld.co.uk/blog/?p=144

Back